4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does a bad wheel bearing automatically make the Hub bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Does a bad wheel bearing automatically make the Hub bad?

I bought a used hub from a junkyard (junkyard says bearing is "not guaranteed")

I had a brand new bearing and seal pressed into the hub at Pepboys

now my car is worse than before

So either the used Hub was a POS or Pepboys "forgot" to press in the new bearing.

there is still play in the wheel (from side to side) and when I turn the hub it isn't smooth.
I am so ****ing pissed off right now
Old 05-21-2006, 04:41 PM

no, my wheel bearing were bad for months and i was sure my hubs were gonna be fried. but they were alright new bearing went in and now im golden. but as fas as i know theres no way to tell till u get everything apart.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by AsthmaMax11
there is still play in the wheel (from side to side) and when I turn the hub it isn't smooth.
The hub is nothing more then a hunk of cast metal. If the bearings and seals were indeed replaced, the hub should be as good as new.

Check your ball joints and the tie rod ends for excessive play.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:13 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

From what I understand you have to be driving on a bad bearing for a while before it starts to effect the hub. How long is "a while", I don't know.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The hub is nothing more then a hunk of cast metal. If the bearings and seals were indeed replaced, the hub should be as good as new.

Check your ball joints and the tie rod ends for excessive play.
So basically I could have used my non-rusted original hub?!!
damn

Would the ball joint or tie rod make a grinding noise while the wheel is moving?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Maintenance Monster

No, those are silent unless you turn the wheel or the suspension moves.

Dave
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take it back to them. Obviously something is wrong and I'll bet the axle nut wasn't tightened up properly.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok I just read the whole first post you made at the beginning of the thread. Did you give them a used hub assembly or the whole spindle? You never know what you are getting into with used parts. I take it that they pressed a new bearing onto a used hub?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 PM

1st i would check the axle nut to make sure its tight enuff coz i forgot to tighten mine 1 tym n my wheel had play to it,lucky enough i wz able to catch it in tym.Then check your ball joint and tie rod.I've had 1 to many problems wit da Pepboys here so i never take anything there coz i feel they do a hurried job and don't care bout the end quality just my $.02.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Black Maxima

1st i would check the axle nut to make sure its tight enuff coz i forgot to tighten mine 1 tym n my wheel had play to it,lucky enough i wz able to catch it in tym.Then check your ball joint and tie rod.I've had 1 to many problems wit da Pepboys here so i never take anything there coz i feel they do a hurried job and don't care bout the end quality just my $.02.
spelling/grammer > j00

Old 05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

I also tried to have PepBoys press in a new wheel bearing. I didn't really feel like having their rat claws all over my car, though, so I just unbolted the spindle and took it to them (it's also cheaper that way because they don't have to take your car in, put it on a lift, and take apart your front suspension). But when they pressed the new bearing in, there was still some play. They pressed it back out and inspected the hub and, lo and behold, the hub was shot: the part where the inner bearing race fits was spalled to hell and back, and there was even a little lip on the edge from the wear. The damage was so painfully obvious that the only way the mechanic could have missed it was if he totally wasn't paying any attention. I took my stuff and walked out without paying a dime. The next day I had my friendly neighborhood Nissan dealership press in a new hub and bearing with new seals, and all was well.

The spindle was 100% fine, even after 2-3 thousand miles on the bad bearing and having bearings and hubs pressed into and out of it 4 times.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
no, my wheel bearing were bad for months and i was sure my hubs were gonna be fried. but they were alright new bearing went in and now im golden. but as fas as i know theres no way to tell till u get everything apart.
my driver side hub was completly warped... my bearing was abd for about 6 months from my knowledge