4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe Q - I know there's an increase in noise, but where should it be coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Y-Pipe Q - I know there's an increase in noise, but where should it be coming from?

Very basic question which I haven't personally ever seen asked. So here it goes:
Following my other thread recently, today I reinstalled my used WSP Y-pipe with new crush ring gaskets. There is certainly an increase in exhaust noise, and I'm comfortable with that. My question is: Should the exhaust be "quiet" until it comes out of the muffler, or should the exhaust have gotten louder from where the ypipe is? In other words, will the exhaust noise change ONLY from the muffler side, or will there be an increase in exhaust noise starting from the front of the engine (too)? There is a tone change from my muffler.

Right now my setup is: WSP Y/stock cat/2.5" mandrel bent unresonated custom b/5G muffler.

The whole point of this thread is to make sure once again that the y is installed as it should be. I tightened everything down well, and just want to make sure the increase in exhaust noise coming from the front of the car is normal. THanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Wild for Width

There may be a slight change in the front of the car, but the "burble" sound should only really be coming from the muffler.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the aftermarket Y's will make more noise from the front(near engine). I think because the tubing is thinner than OEM and the elimination of pre cats. and you'll hear the exhaust bouncing around through the piping.

side note: When i installed the Y pipe on my 5spd, the same Y seemed quieter on my auto, especially under 2500rpm. Rest of the exhaust was stock on both. Any logical reason for this?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 PM

I'm going to have to investigate more tomorrow...damn, third day in a row that I've been working on this Y-pipe now. I waste so much time in the mornings though...by the time I get started on my car I've wasted half the day. (BTW...I work at nights so that no one thinks I'm a bum)

Konak - that's exactly what I was thinking...I started my car open mani's before I even installed the ypipe, and the sound is definately more subdued than that. I'm going to check for that burble as Fr33way put it, but I'm pretty sure that the burble was coming from the muffler only, but the exhaust noise coming from up front seemed to be more pronounced.

Another thing - when I had MAJOR exhaust leaking the day before yesterday (Monday...I think), I could definately smell it, and see the exhaust fumes coming up the engine bay. Thankfully today that didn't happen, but I want this to be completely correct. THanks for the help guys, more is always welcome.