4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stone Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stone Racing Headers

Hey guys this is just a warning for you guys thinking of getting headers. It may not happen to all of you but I am having a hell of a time trying to get mine to seal up. I got the stone racing headers off ebay (ya I know what should I expect with ebay headers) and they were cheap and looked pretty good, and I wouldn't have got them but my stock manifold was leaking already and I thought why get the stock **** again (maybe I should have). I got the headers and y pipe installed from a friend that does exhaust for $300, so that puts the cost to $700 already. $340 (all Canadian) for the headers and y pipe, $60 for a cat, and the $300 for install. Right when I go to pick the car up after it gets installed (he finished it while I was at the shop) it leaked right away. He tightened the bolts a bit more and it was still leaking, so he suggested to put 2 gaskets on each header and it should stop the leak. I did this and it was still leaking! So the next day I pull the headers off and look at them and the base plate that bolts to the engine is warped at hell! So now I pay $150 to get the headers planed so they are flat and put them back on, guess what still ****ing leaking! So now I am running low on ideas and pissed off at how much it's costing, and I don't even know for sure how to fix it.
And that was my $0.25.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:49 PM

Sounds like your mechanic used a little too much torque when he tightened the nuts for the headers on the block. I just received my SR headers today and test fitted them on my 3.5 block (which is the same as the 3.0 for those who don't know) and they fit perfectly. Are you sure your mechanic didn't warp them?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
Sounds like your mechanic used a little too much torque when he tightened the nuts for the headers on the block. I just received my SR headers today and test fitted them on my 3.5 block (which is the same as the 3.0 for those who don't know) and they fit perfectly. Are you sure your mechanic didn't warp them?
sounds like it, or it could just be a bad set of headers. sh** does happen sometimes.

i have a set of stone racing headers and ypip comming. ill post when i get them installed.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just put mine on my DEK that is going in on Friday.

Did you use those cheap exhasut gaskets they supplied you with ?? Should have gotten the Nissan Gaskets.

I put mine on and torqued them all the way down till completly tight. I should have checked the torque specs on them. Its 22-24lbs. Im gonna loosen them up tomorrow and re-torque them

-matt
Old 06-28-2006, 07:36 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

never use two gaskets it will be leaky leaky
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

and never use those foam gaskets they supply you with. Leaky leaky

-matt
Old 06-28-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
never use two gaskets it will be leaky leaky

i purchased the stone racing headers and ypipe off ebay about 2 years ago. i needed a new muffler so i decided to get a whole new exhaust system. my headers are great. i love them. no problems what so ever. just amazing sound and performance.
if they were leaking before, you should have found out what was causing the leak or made sure that the mechanic that installed yours properly torqued the bolts. its not that hard to warp a Vq30de block. especially if the guy was in a hurry or didnt give 2 ****s about the car.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I used the gaskets it came with first and then got a new set of fel-pro ones. They didn't seal any better at all though. So I'm not sure what else I'm gonna do other than get the block machined but I would rather not pay for that. I heard from a guy that had headers leaking who put that red exhaust stop leak stuff around the outside and it sealed up pretty good. It looks like crap but if it will seal it without machining the block... maybe I'll try it.