4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My findings on test pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:00 PM

My findings on test pipe...

Before when I was going to buy a test pipe, people were telling me it was not a good idea, or that it will make my car sound alot louder, etc. My stock cat was bad... well I think it was, but its very rusted, and looks like shiet. I have stainless steel y-pipe and cat-back so I wanted something shiny in between them, and not this huge thing of rust connecting them. I know your prolly saying who cares no1 see's under the car, but for my own good it bothered the hell outta me just knowing there was something so rusted under there.....

Now I am not trying to get people to buy test pipes or anything , and I discourage people from using test-pipes as it is harmful for the enviornment, but I thought I would educate anyone that may be interested in a test-pipe.

Anyways to my findings:
I installed this test pipe: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...spagenameZWD1V I didnt get it off ebay, but I got it off a member here on the org, and it is the same exact thing. Taking off my old cat was easy, as i had new bolts on both sides from doing my y-pipe last year, and my cat-back just a month or 2 ago. Once that was off I noticed there was no nuts with the bolts that I got, so I had to go and buy some. I also later found the bolts were too big, and would not allow for proper fitmet of the test-pipe. After buying some smaller bolts and nuts I got the test pipe on good enough to drive. There is a small tiny leak but ill worry to fix it later.

Once I got it on I started the car. I was suprised what I found. My exhaust tone was not really changed at all.... It may have gotten a tiny bit deeper and louder... but not enough for me to agree when people say a test pipe makes your car alot louder. BTW I have a greddy sp2 cat-back and a budget Y-pipe prior to doing this test pipe. So for anyone who says it will make your car louder, I cannot agree with you, as I notice no change in my exhaust tone. The test pipe I got was like adding another resonator. So getting rid of a cat and putting the resonated test pipe in did not produce any real exhaust tone changes.

Now your wondering how bad does the exhaust smell? We have all smelled cars with no cats, they smell awful to some and good to others. But point being you can smell easily when a car has no cats. However in my case, I did not smell that smell. I had to sit behind my car for a good while to finally notice that smell... tho very faint it was. I thought the car would reak bad with no cat, but it does not. You really have to sit behind the car for some time with no wind around to notice the car has no cats. I was very happy with this because I thought it was going to smell bad.

Since I have not had my test pipe on long enough yet I cannot say, but can assume that my bumper will probably get black. However a weekly carwash will keep that from turning my bumer black around the exhaust pipe. So I aint worried about anything there.

Now for emmissions. Most people are worried about failing emissions with a test-pipe, and this may indeed happan but it all really depends on where you live. In IL they just scan your car for codes, and if you dont have any you pass... I have not taken my car for emmisions but when I do I will further back this up.

Butt dyno? People say adding in a test pipe adds no HP. Tho it may not I can honestly feel my car being more smooth at WOT. Its like I may have not added any HP but I made that dyno graph more smooth... ya know what I mean? Im sure this is just my mind thinking this because I expect to feel more power after replacing something... but nontheless I cannot say if it truly added power or speed for the 1/4. I will run my car very soon at the track, and see if I can beat my last time with y-pipe only. Tho this wont be very accurate either because I have not ran my car at the track with my new cat-back, so my new times will be test-pipe + cat-back

Thanks for reading this. Hope it helps anyone with questions on test-pipes.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:40 PM
brotherhood of tq

i have had a test pipe on my car for a few yrs now and i have no issue wth it.

and i never wash my car and i dont have anything near a blk stain on my bumper. the only two issues i have with this is that my car back fires alot when its cold and on hot days ata light i can smell my exhaust but i like the smell so i dont care
Old 07-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Bacon Lover

Good to hear some positives come from this. Or atleast no negatives, anyway. Still not something I'd personally do (I have a shiny y-pipe and cat-back with a rusted cat as well, and yes it bugs me), but good info nonetheless.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Conecarver

You gonna install a resistor or something to avoid a P0136 code or similar? I'd hate to run around with the MIL on all the time.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Maxima Owner

or get an O2 simulator
Old 07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Wild for Width

Did the one you get have the 2.25 inlet and 2.5 out? If so it is probably flowing worse than a stock cat, although probably better than a clogged cat.

I have seen many of these on eBay and have always seen mismatching diameters, some have O2 bungs some don't, seems like a crapshoot.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Boosted Panda

The test pipe I run has an 02 bung.
In reality, i dont think the gains are that great, and mine does smell. The tone was a bit louder, not much but just a tad bit deeper.
Ive had it for quite some time now. I originally put it on after my cat failed. I drove with it for over a year before going back to a cat. convertor.
When I went boosted, I put the test pipeback on.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:35 AM

i have a test pipe but no bung so i havent installed it yet. i have one in the greddy sp2 but its sized for the 97 bung and not the 95 bung, i wish i could use it...
udienow be careful breathing all that exhaust haha
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
You gonna install a resistor or something to avoid a P0136 code or similar? I'd hate to run around with the MIL on all the time.
Honestly I didnt even think of this... My light is already on for a front o2 so whatever....

Originally Posted by Fr33way
Did the one you get have the 2.25 inlet and 2.5 out? If so it is probably flowing worse than a stock cat, although probably better than a clogged cat.

I have seen many of these on eBay and have always seen mismatching diameters, some have O2 bungs some don't, seems like a crapshoot.
Umm I think its 2.5 in both sides... it fit nice to my y-pipe and thats 2.5. But may be wrong didnt measure it or nuttin. There is no bung for an o2 in this one. I dont find it possible for a test-pipe to flow worse then a cat... cats got **** in it that slows the flow, test-pipe does not, how can the test pipe prevent more flow? It didnt fit well at first with the big fat bolts that came with it, but It fit with smaller thinner bolts.

Originally Posted by chillin014
udienow be careful breathing all that exhaust haha
>_>; but it smells so good!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 AM
00vi Equipped.......

Originally Posted by udienow
Before when I was going to buy a test pipe, people were telling me it was not a good idea, or that it will make my car sound alot louder, etc. My stock cat was bad... well I think it was, but its very rusted, and looks like shiet. I have stainless steel y-pipe and cat-back so I wanted something shiny in between them, and not this huge thing of rust connecting them. I know your prolly saying who cares no1 see's under the car, but for my own good it bothered the hell outta me just knowing there was something so rusted under there.....

Now I am not trying to get people to buy test pipes or anything , and I discourage people from using test-pipes as it is harmful for the enviornment, but I thought I would educate anyone that may be interested in a test-pipe.

Anyways to my findings:
I installed this test pipe: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...spagenameZWD1V I didnt get it off ebay, but I got it off a member here on the org, and it is the same exact thing. Taking off my old cat was easy, as i had new bolts on both sides from doing my y-pipe last year, and my cat-back just a month or 2 ago. Once that was off I noticed there was no nuts with the bolts that I got, so I had to go and buy some. I also later found the bolts were too big, and would not allow for proper fitmet of the test-pipe. After buying some smaller bolts and nuts I got the test pipe on good enough to drive. There is a small tiny leak but ill worry to fix it later.

Once I got it on I started the car. I was suprised what I found. My exhaust tone was not really changed at all.... It may have gotten a tiny bit deeper and louder... but not enough for me to agree when people say a test pipe makes your car alot louder. BTW I have a greddy sp2 cat-back and a budget Y-pipe prior to doing this test pipe. So for anyone who says it will make your car louder, I cannot agree with you, as I notice no change in my exhaust tone. The test pipe I got was like adding another resonator. So getting rid of a cat and putting the resonated test pipe in did not produce any real exhaust tone changes.

Now your wondering how bad does the exhaust smell? We have all smelled cars with no cats, they smell awful to some and good to others. But point being you can smell easily when a car has no cats. However in my case, I did not smell that smell. I had to sit behind my car for a good while to finally notice that smell... tho very faint it was. I thought the car would reak bad with no cat, but it does not. You really have to sit behind the car for some time with no wind around to notice the car has no cats. I was very happy with this because I thought it was going to smell bad.

Since I have not had my test pipe on long enough yet I cannot say, but can assume that my bumper will probably get black. However a weekly carwash will keep that from turning my bumer black around the exhaust pipe. So I aint worried about anything there.

Now for emmissions. Most people are worried about failing emissions with a test-pipe, and this may indeed happan but it all really depends on where you live. In IL they just scan your car for codes, and if you dont have any you pass... I have not taken my car for emmisions but when I do I will further back this up.

Butt dyno? People say adding in a test pipe adds no HP. Tho it may not I can honestly feel my car being more smooth at WOT. Its like I may have not added any HP but I made that dyno graph more smooth... ya know what I mean? Im sure this is just my mind thinking this because I expect to feel more power after replacing something... but nontheless I cannot say if it truly added power or speed for the 1/4. I will run my car very soon at the track, and see if I can beat my last time with y-pipe only. Tho this wont be very accurate either because I have not ran my car at the track with my new cat-back, so my new times will be test-pipe + cat-back

Thanks for reading this. Hope it helps anyone with questions on test-pipes.

Thats a high flow cat.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:33 AM

wow it took me my whol lunch break to read that!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by maxgp1029
Thats a high flow cat.
What is? What I show is not a hi flow cat... a kid could stick his whole hand through the pipe... theres nothing inside of it.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by udienow
What is? What I show is not a hi flow cat... a kid could stick his whole hand through the pipe... theres nothing inside of it.
In the eBay link it has 2.25 inlet, that's why I mentioned it.

When I looked at my cat there wasn't ONE passage blocked and it's 2.5 through so I think it flows well. Just compare the test pipe or HF cats to the OEM and gains are what 1hp maybe? If you fit smaller tubing, especially at the inlet it is RESTRICTING flow, not a very complex idea.

I imagine since you said it was all rusty and everything that you probably did have blockage and you probably are making more power than the bad cat. I think you would be under or just equal to a clean OEM cat.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Boosted Panda

In the eBay link it has 2.25 inlet, that's why I mentioned it.

When I looked at my cat there wasn't ONE passage blocked and it's 2.5 through so I think it flows well. Just compare the test pipe or HF cats to the OEM and gains are what 1hp maybe? If you fit smaller tubing, especially at the inlet it is RESTRICTING flow, not a very complex idea.

I imagine since you said it was all rusty and everything that you probably did have blockage and you probably are making more power than the bad cat. I think you would be under or just equal to a clean OEM cat.

If you think that the OEM cat flows better then a straight pipe your crazy.
Now the gains from the straight pipe wont be much over th OEM cat, around 1hp if that like you stated before. The oem cat isnt as restrictive as some might think. Due to the two precats in the oem Y pipe the OEM cat is made to be less restrictive.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 AM

hmm u got me there... i didnt think it really was 2.25 inlet but it says it right there... oh well its fine not like im boosted or nuttin. The thing was price for me. Hi-flow cat is over 100 bucks, I got this shipped for 35 bucks. But I still cant believe you when you say the stock good cat flows as good if not better then the test pipe... sorry...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 PM

test pipe with stock exh will throw code. With a ypipe and test pipe, it will no longer throw code. Same as aftermarket intake + test pipe (no code vs code with test pipe only). It's not that hard to trick the OBDII system
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
If you think that the OEM cat flows better then a straight pipe your crazy.
Now the gains from the straight pipe wont be much over th OEM cat, around 1hp if that like you stated before. The oem cat isnt as restrictive as some might think. Due to the two precats in the oem Y pipe the OEM cat is made to be less restrictive.
I'm talking about a piece with a 2.25 inlet. (as in the 2.25id would gain 1hp over OEM)

I don't think it would flow any measurable amount better than an OEM cat in good condition. The whole thing is a moot point anyway

I'll just say this, I appreciate the original posters review of something I was curious about myself.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Wild for Width

Flava when you pulled your cat how clogged was it?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Boosted Panda

Flava when you pulled your cat how clogged was it?

It wasnt really clgged, pieces had broken loose and were moving around inside it.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 PM

thats because some maximas have bungs in their cat and some don't i know a fed spec 98 dosent, but a fed spec 96 does
Old 07-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Wild for Width

As far as the bung yes, but the diameters don't make sense. Unless they are planning on selling to people with an otherwise stock system?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 PM

I got a free test pipe along with my Y-pipe from budget and was wondering if it was worth it to put it on. I currently have no problems with my stock cat and figured i should just stick with it until it does go or i get bored. Should I just put it on while I am down there? And also, do you think I will have any problems passing inspection in NJ?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Maxima Owner

the thing on eBay is just a mini resonator....see how it bulges out....a true test pipe is just a piece of pipe with flanges on it....the bulge is proll a perforated mini resonator
Old 07-26-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
the thing on eBay is just a mini resonator....see how it bulges out....a true test pipe is just a piece of pipe with flanges on it....the bulge is proll a perforated mini resonator
Damn that's what I have a mini resonator. What does it do? Why would they sell a resonator and advertise it as a test pipe, wouldn't a straight piece of pipe be easier to make anyway?
Mine doesn't even have an 02 sensor bung welded in...I gotta get that done.