4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange Exhaust Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Black Maxima

Strange Exhaust Noise

I get a weird metallic type noise when I rev my car in Park. It happens between 3k and 5k rpms. The "hissing" noise comes from the front of the car. Around the Y-Pipe area. It only happens when I jump off the gas and the revs decline. It's very noticeable in person and in the video link below. I do not know what it is. I'm told it's not "bees in a can". It could possibly be heat shields, but I have none. And bent most of them around the headers that I could see, so they would be out of the way. I took all the heat shields covering the Y-Pipe, Cat, and Catback off. I put a towel over the flex section in the Y-Pipe and the noise was still there. I have stock headers, Stillen Y-Pipe, Budget High Flow Cat, and a GReddy SP2 Catback. I've had the noise since I installed all of it about a year ago. I rechecked all the bolts and they are tight. It's driving me insane. Anyone know what it could possibly be?

You can hear it everytime I rev in Park in these videos:

Video links:

http://media.putfile.com/MOV04937

http://media.putfile.com/EQUALSTILLENY

http://media.putfile.com/MaximaTakeoff

Old 07-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
I get a weird metallic type noise when I rev my car in Park. It happens between 3k and 5k rpms. The "hissing" noise comes from the front of the car. Around the Y-Pipe area. It only happens when I jump off the gas and the revs decline. It's very noticeable in person and in the video link below. I do not know what it is. I'm told it's not "bees in a can". It could possibly be heat shields, but I have none. And bent most of them around the headers that I could see, so they would be out of the way. I took all the heat shields covering the Y-Pipe, Cat, and Catback off. I put a towel over the flex section in the Y-Pipe and the noise was still there. I have stock headers, Stillen Y-Pipe, Budget High Flow Cat, and a GReddy SP2 Catback. I've had the noise since I installed all of it about a year ago. I rechecked all the bolts and they are tight. It's driving me insane. Anyone know what it could possibly be?

You can hear it everytime I rev in Park in these videos:

Video links:

http://media.putfile.com/MOV04937

http://media.putfile.com/EQUALSTILLENY

http://media.putfile.com/MaximaTakeoff
hey man my friends G35s had that problem when we installed test pipes on his car.. turned out it was the test pipes rattling something around them, cant remember what is was, so in turn I would assume thats what that is.. your y-pipe is rattling something and it only does it at those rpms (same as the G35) because of the resonance due to harmonics at those RPM's.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Black Maxima

Thanks for the reply. It's hard to determine. That's a good idea though. I just posted on here because I thought someone would have the same problem. What could it be?

BUMMMMMMP

Old 07-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Apparition
hey man my friends G35s had that problem when we installed test pipes on his car.. turned out it was the test pipes rattling something around them, cant remember what is was, so in turn I would assume thats what that is.. your y-pipe is rattling something and it only does it at those rpms (same as the G35) because of the resonance due to harmonics at those RPM's.
350Z's/G35C's sound bad with those test pipes. There are plenty on streetfire.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Fr33way
350Z's/G35C's sound bad with those test pipes. There are plenty on streetfire.
I think my friends sounds amazing, loud and deep as fawk!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Black Maxima

Another Bump

Old 07-10-2006, 08:29 PM

i dunno man... mine sounds like that but i only have a y pipe thats it.... but i sounds almost exectly like that.... i think its a leak in the exhaust somewhere
Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Black Maxima

I don't know where I could have a leak? Could it be a bad header to engine connection?

Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Black Maxima

Anyone?????

Old 07-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like you might have an exhaust leak. I wonder if you could how someone rev it in park/neutral, stick you head around it that area and see if you can hear or see anything.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Wild for Width

Try getting under the car while it is idling (jackstands of course) and spray all the connections with a spray bottle. If there is a leak you should be able to notice bubbling.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Offset Is Everything.

recheck your flex section and all the gaskets. also check if theres any rubbing on the rear beam from the piping.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:27 AM

thats most likely the flex joint.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Black Maxima

Sounds like you might have an exhaust leak. I wonder if you could how someone rev it in park/neutral, stick you head around it that area and see if you can hear or see anything.
I've done that, it sounds like it's coming from around the flex section part of the Y-Pipe.

Try getting under the car while it is idling (jackstands of course) and spray all the connections with a spray bottle. If there is a leak you should be able to notice bubbling.
What should I put in the bottle? Water?

recheck your flex section and all the gaskets. also check if theres any rubbing on the rear beam from the piping.
What is considered the rear beam? The noise is comming from just under the firewall part of the exhuast.

thats most likely the flex joint.
UT OH

Thanks guys!

Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Same here!

I have budget Y-pipe and I have EXACTLY the same noise. Actually its resonnation because the y-pipe seems too big.

You have to put termal wrap. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/520
Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Black Maxima

Nice link!!! Have you used the wrap before? Does it really work?

Old 07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
sunten1

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
Nice link!!! Have you used the wrap before? Does it really work?

I have the same sound from my budget. Along with bees in the can.

I have heard that if you use the header wrap that it could cause your flex to rust faster becuase the mositure is always there.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Black Maxima

I have the same sound from my budget. Along with bees in the can.
I have't heard it. Next time I see you remind me. I know you have bees in a can. HAHA

I have heard that if you use the header wrap that it could cause your flex to rust faster becuase the mositure is always there.
I've heard that too.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem. I had a budget y pipe, hi flow cat and the sp2. The noise came from the resonator. I called greddy and they told my to send it back to my dealer ( hopupracing). Andi at hopupracing told me that the warranty from greddy suck and he want that I send the sp2 from ny to CA and greddy are gonnat take a look on it and if they see nothing they are gonnae send me back. I called greddy directly and they told me that the only way to fix that is to passe via my dealer. To do a long short story , waranty of greddy suck really much !!!!!!! I'M never gonna buy greddy exhaust again !!!! One of the manager from greddy suggest me to cut the cat back and pu an other resonator. The cat back was 1 month old !!!! Anyway, I took of the resonator and replaced it buy a Vibrant and the sound is pretty the same but a litle bit louder but I have no more metal shaking sound coming from the resonator. I'm so frustrated about the service of greddy !!! It pissed me off when your paying a 500usd exhaust and the compagny answer you to cut it and replace it when you have the exhaust since only 2 week ! Now I installed a Altima SER muffler , its a very nice sound , quiet and cost me only 160$ !!!! Greddy service suck did I told you ? !
Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Its telling you to take if off and sell it to me.

Honestly the old stillen unit always sounded like that.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:54 PM

I have the bees in the can noise, probably some more exhaust leaks to diagnose and a 5th gen. muffler that may be malfunctioning. I'll be posting up a sound clip pretty soon probably. Good luck with it Aaron...by the way - how did your car turn out with that idle issue? Is that fixed now? I have a clip of my infamous whistling engine too...
Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Black Maxima

I had the same problem. I had a budget y pipe, hi flow cat and the sp2. The noise came from the resonator. I called greddy and they told my to send it back to my dealer ( hopupracing). Andi at hopupracing told me that the warranty from greddy suck and he want that I send the sp2 from ny to CA and greddy are gonnat take a look on it and if they see nothing they are gonnae send me back. I called greddy directly and they told me that the only way to fix that is to passe via my dealer. To do a long short story , waranty of greddy suck really much !!!!!!! I'M never gonna buy greddy exhaust again !!!! One of the manager from greddy suggest me to cut the cat back and pu an other resonator. The cat back was 1 month old !!!! Anyway, I took of the resonator and replaced it buy a Vibrant and the sound is pretty the same but a litle bit louder but I have no more metal shaking sound coming from the resonator. I'm so frustrated about the service of greddy !!! It pissed me off when your paying a 500usd exhaust and the compagny answer you to cut it and replace it when you have the exhaust since only 2 week ! Now I installed a Altima SER muffler , its a very nice sound , quiet and cost me only 160$ !!!! Greddy service suck did I told you ? !
Ooooookay, it's not my resonator.

Its telling you to take if off and sell it to me.

Honestly the old stillen unit always sounded like that.
HAHA You know it's going to have a hole in it pretty soon from me scrapeing the shiiiet out of it. It's just a weird sound, no other car I hear sounds like that. Kinda makes my car sound "cheap".

I have the bees in the can noise, probably some more exhaust leaks to diagnose and a 5th gen. muffler that may be malfunctioning. I'll be posting up a sound clip pretty soon probably. Good luck with it Aaron...by the way - how did your car turn out with that idle issue? Is that fixed now? I have a clip of my infamous whistling engine too...
Post up some sound clips! I didn't fix the problem yet. It comes like once a week. My car has been behaveing pretty good for a little while. My CEL code changed to the EGRC Selinoid valve.

Thanks guys...