4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

slow window syndrome? Another possible culprit and possible solution!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

slow window syndrome? Another possible culprit and possible solution!

Well my driver's side window has been driving me nuts for a while now. Tried all the different solutions noted on the org, seafoam all that junk, still had the same problem. Well two weeks ago, I finally had enough; It would go down usually without a problem but on trying to bring it up, it would go up about 1/2 way then stop and I would have to give it a sec for the motor to cool down and then try again. I would actually have to grab the window and give it some help.
Anyway, I got sick of it and took out the door panel and the bose speakers and what do you know, the rubber track that the window slides in had actually come apart from its rail and was just hanging out. This was more towards the lower part, right behind the speakers.
What I did was roll the window up, and pulled out as much of the rubber track as I could and cleaned the inside up with some window cleaner. I did this on both sides of the window, pushed the track back in. (I will go back in there and put some glue on the steel railing to keep the rubber in place but its holding for now). In any case, it works perfectly, its just a second or less slower than the passenger window going up and I think I can attribute this to a slighltly weaker motor since the drivers side is used a heck of a lot more.

This took me maybe 30 mins just to get the whole job done. Total cost- a can of $2 window cleaner from Autozone and I'm a heck of a lot happier!

Something to try before dumping $$ into it
Old 07-19-2006, 07:12 PM

I've been meaning to do this for awhile now. Thanks for the write up, gives me more hope that it will actually work.