4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

to Trenz grill or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am going to get a 97-99 front bumper w/foglights, so I'll need a new grill as well because the SMX grill won't fit. Anyway, I still can't decide whether to get the polished Trenz grill or get the 97-99 painted(not chrome) grill. I will also get a full Stillen kit(97-99 front lip and sides, 95-96 rear). So, what do you guys think? I'm just not sure. Is the Trenz grill a bit too flashy?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:49 AM
Master Will

flashy not to me...it will set your car off fine...

I really,really,really,really,really,really,love/like mine I think this is the best front end mod I have done to enhance the front...."coming at you" look of the car....

Old 06-22-2001, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I am going to get a 97-99 front bumper w/foglights, so I'll need a new grill as well because the SMX grill won't fit. Anyway, I still can't decide whether to get the polished Trenz grill or get the 97-99 painted(not chrome) grill. I will also get a full Stillen kit(97-99 front lip and sides, 95-96 rear). So, what do you guys think? I'm just not sure. Is the Trenz grill a bit too flashy?
you said you have a 96 i was wondering what do you have to change i have gotton all diferent answers i have a 95 and i am looking into a 97-99 conversion but i have noe gotton a straight answer to exactly what i need.. I know I need the grill, bumper, headlights, corner lights and somthing about a retainer? also i wasn't sure if i needed different mounting brackets or reinforcements..any info would be great i don't want to get the car apart and find out i need a whole bunch of parts to complete the job i don't think my body man will appreciate it...thanks for any info, louis
Old 06-22-2001, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

actually, they make an smx grill for 97-99 now. i've gotta pic of it if you like. also, the trenz grill's alright in my opinion. i guess it's just not somethin i'd wanna do to my max anytime soon. i've gotta gxe which has the chrome grill. personally, i want a painted smx or stock se grill. also, on the post about finding out all you have to do to convert to a 97-99 max front end, i'm not sure all you have to do. my question is wondering if all that's really worth the trouble of going through. for that effort you could prolly go as far as having R34 Skyline headlights custom molded on. well, not quite that much, but close enough. those look tight, but that's just my taste. if you can get the 97-99 conversion, more power to ya. from what i know, the only components would be bumper, headlights, and grill. that's considering the bumper should have the corners with it, if not, you could just order a set of clears... good luck whichever way u go!

Adam
Old 06-22-2001, 08:09 AM

My personal opinion on the trenz grille is that the cars color is the most important thing, on a dark color such as the dark green or black it looks really good, but if i had a white or other light color i probably wouldnt do it
Old 06-22-2001, 08:21 AM

the trendz grill is nice...
i did the conversion and it looks bad a$$..
Old 06-22-2001, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by wicked1044
the trendz grill is nice...
i did the conversion and it looks bad a$$..
I agree about the trenz grille on the black, it looks great with the valence and the chrome from the headlights
Old 06-22-2001, 11:16 AM

Wicked....is your car green or black? Can i see some more pictures of it?
Old 06-22-2001, 12:11 PM

Well, my car is superblack. I also already have the 97-99 headlights, corner lenses, and diamont cut clear bumpers. So, I guess I might as well complete the process.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:22 PM

JDM4LIFE:

Hey, did you just say that they DO have a SMX grille for the 97-99 MAx? Send me a pic aznbluboy@yahoo.com .. I would love to see what it look like! I ALWAYS wanted a SMX grille on my 99. I was about to do the conversion to a 95-96 just so I can get the SMX grille look... but didnt want to sacrifice the bumper on the 99.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:34 PM
Licensed to Spell

I read a few people stating that to do a 95/96 to a 97/99 front end conversion, you need to get new headlights. This is not the case (as far as I know). All I know of to do is the front bumper cover and, yes, the grill (and of course foglights if you desire). But the headlights, clearance and corners are a direct fit.

Oh, and to answer your original question cumalot (come on man, what kind of handle is that anyway?), I can only say this: I HATE chrome!! It is so gaudy. I went out of my way to kill all my chrome - doorhandles - windowtrim - emblyms - exhaust tip, I'd never put extra chrome on my car. So maybe if you paint it body color, otherwise just get the stock grill (but painted) or some kind of a cool custom grill job like YellowBrother did. Good luck with your decision and conversion.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:29 PM

Re: Reply

Originally posted by ptatohed
I read a few people stating that to do a 95/96 to a 97/99 front end conversion, you need to get new headlights. This is not the case (as far as I know). All I know of to do is the front bumper cover and, yes, the grill (and of course foglights if you desire). But the headlights, clearance and corners are a direct fit.

Oh, and to answer your original question cumalot (come on man, what kind of handle is that anyway?), I can only say this: I HATE chrome!! It is so gaudy. I went out of my way to kill all my chrome - doorhandles - windowtrim - emblyms - exhaust tip, I'd never put extra chrome on my car. So maybe if you paint it body color, otherwise just get the stock grill (but painted) or some kind of a cool custom grill job like YellowBrother did. Good luck with your decision and conversion.

You don't like my handle, mr.potatohead? j/k
Old 06-22-2001, 03:28 PM
Licensed to Spell

Well...

I didn't mean to offend you but I have to admit it is a little immature and distasteful. I know my Mr. Ptatohed name (there's a long story behind it) is not the most mature - lol - but I am trying to have a little fun with it but at the same time, not cross any lines. I find yours childish, distasteful and, who knows, maybe offending to some people. But, hey, this is all I'm going to say on it, it's your name, it doesn't bother me, I just find it out of place here. Enjoy your day.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:05 PM

I really like my Trenz grille, but an SMX grille
would have been my preference. I still do not know
of one for the '99 model. Post a pic if possible!

BB
Old 06-22-2001, 05:00 PM

Re: Well...

I didn't mean to offend you but I have to admit it is a little immature and distasteful. I know my Mr. Ptatohed name (there's a long story behind it) is not the most mature - lol - but I am trying to have a little fun with it but at the same time, not cross any lines. I find yours childish, distasteful and, who knows, maybe offending to some people. But, hey, this is all I'm going to say on it, it's your name, it doesn't bother me, I just find it out of place here. Enjoy your day.
And you think I give a **** what you think about my name? I am trying to have some fun too. So, next time if you don't like my name so much, DON'T REPLY! Easy as that. Geez...you said it doesn't bother you, yet you said my name was childish, distasteful, and maybe offending to some people?
Old 06-23-2001, 07:06 AM

Re: Reply

someone called my name.....ok for the person who is asking about what part u need for a 97-99 conversion....if u want the full outer conversion then u need corner light, headlight, grill and bumper and fog light if desired.....if u just want the bumper look then all u need is the bumper cover and grill....and if u want same front and internal swap u would need everything above with shock absorbers, reinforcement....blah blah blah....can't remember all the parts.....

cumalot...if i was u....which i'm not...do something creative or unique....to me the trenz grill look good if the fitment isn't an issue but to me it gives it the trucker look....

off topic- william (metallic97gxe) got my check bro? is "my" grill on the way....
Old 06-23-2001, 08:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

here's the pic i posted on my site for that 97-99 SMX grill

http://www.geocities.com/horrorfreakopc/smxgrill.jpg

it's not bad. only thing is, it reminds me too much of a grand am...... maybe it's just me.
Old 06-23-2001, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
here's the pic i posted on my site for that 97-99 SMX grill

http://www.geocities.com/horrorfreakopc/smxgrill.jpg

it's not bad. only thing is, it reminds me too much of a grand am...... maybe it's just me.
thats a 95-96 max...........
Old 06-23-2001, 09:28 AM
Master Will

Re: Re: Reply

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

someone called my name.....ok for the person who is asking about what part u need for a 97-99 conversion....if u want the full outer conversion then u need corner light, headlight, grill and bumper and fog light if desired.....if u just want the bumper look then all u need is the bumper cover and grill....and if u want same front and internal swap u would need everything above with shock absorbers, reinforcement....blah blah blah....can't remember all the parts.....

cumalot...if i was u....which i'm not...do something creative or unique....to me the trenz grill look good if the fitment isn't an issue but to me it gives it the trucker look....

off topic- william (metallic97gxe) got my check bro? is "my" grill on the way....
yeah man I got your check...I am sending the grill next week I have been real busy...OK...
Old 06-24-2001, 01:28 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Well...

And you think I give a **** what you think about my name? I am trying to have some fun too. So, next time if you don't like my name so much, DON'T REPLY! Easy as that. Geez...you said it doesn't bother you, yet you said my name was childish, distasteful, and maybe offending to some people?

Sorry to see I upset you so much. Enjoy your day...

- Mr. P.