4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Theres no door key for my car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:58 PM

Theres no door key for my car!

ok before you start flaming me and saying its the same key, let me tell you something. I bought my car from an unreputable dealer (to say the least). now my ignition must have been changed because the key doean't fit any doors or the trunk., but it does fit the glovebox, so i dont know what is going on, anyways... I need one, because i have a remote start system and remote locks on my car, now if my batt. dies im screwed, and this has happened on 4 different occasions. Now i ewnt to a local large reputable nissan dealership in the area and he told me that for my vin number nissan has not listed my key code, and they cannot order me one. he then told me to take off my door panel and there should be a sticker under it with a code, and with that they could make me one. There isn't one there. and before you say its the dealership, i checked with two others, they said the same, my question is do i do? something weird happened with my car before i bought it but i dont know what. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmm... Looks like the doors were taken off another Maxima, glove box was kept the same. Im not sure if a locksmit can remake a key or change the locks.

Get AAA service, and they can unlock the car if the battery ever dies, or just get a Optima battery and hope it never dies?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 PM

lol but if i ever want to sell it, which i assume i will, i doubt somebody will be as dumb as i was and purchase a car with no exterior key. persoanlly i cant believe that all four doors and trunk are from another car, but ehhh who knows
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Black Maxima

Use keyfob or get Viper 791...

Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 PM

i already have remote locks, and trunk, but i want a backup...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Maxima Owner

ur locks could be that jacked up...goto lock smith they will cut new keys for those cylinders
Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 AM

go back to the dealership (where u baught it) and b*tch at them like no tomorow and if they dont take the car back, kick them right in the baby maker.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Maxima.Org's Official Lurker

do the keys fit inside and just don't turn? try spraying some WD-40 into the cylinder and inserting the key kind of hard to get the oil into the lock. When I bought my car I couldn't open the trunk with the key. After I did the WD-40 all was well.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 AM
FEELS GOOD TO BE GANGSTA

Sounds like you got your hands on a "pharma-dealer's car" and no I don't mean car dealer. A reputable locksmith should be able to help you out, but it'll cost ya.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Originally Posted by 2 MaXiMuS 4
do the keys fit inside and just don't turn? try spraying some WD-40 into the cylinder and inserting the key kind of hard to get the oil into the lock. When I bought my car I couldn't open the trunk with the key. After I did the WD-40 all was well.

You're right, the locks could just be worn out. This happened to my GF's old Celica.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 AM

Try spraying a lot of WD40 into the inside of the lock, and keep working at turning the key (not too hard, don't want to break it off). It is not uncommon for cars that have key fobs (and locks that never have keys inserted into them) for this to happen.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 AM

Dude, buying another battery is prob cheaper than getting this car re-keyed. You can also buy another remote and program it in and carry 2 remotes for safe(only requires ignition key). The only thing you cant do now is lock the trunk(well you can but you cant open it).

As of resale, I don't think youll get much from a 96 nissan now let alone a couple of years down the road.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Back a few years ago I was coming home from Air Force field training. They made us turn in all of our keys and such to them (guess they were worried about me walking from Texas to California and then getting in my car and driving somewhere...) After training they forgot to give me my keys back and I didn't realize it until I had flown back to California. So I was stuck with a car and no key. Of course I did have they key pad (3rd gen) so at least I could get inside the car, I just couldn't start it.

After doing some calling around I got ahold of a "mobile" key maker. I can't remember the price, probably 50 bucks or something. Anyway, this guy who was as old as time show's up in some old 80's brown chevy van. He opens up the side door of the van and there was literally thousands of blank keys all over the floor. It took him a minute or two for him to poke through the pile and pull out the proper blank.

He then took the blank and stuck it as far into the ignition as he could. Then he would pull it out and with a round file he would file away on the key. After a short period of filing hey would stick the key back into the ignition, repeating the process several times. When I first saw this guy roll up and his organizational skills I wasn't very confident but this guy produced a working key in less then ten minutes.

Of course this story doesn't help you very much but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

As for the key not compatible with the doors and ignition but it does work with the glove box. Wouldn't it be easier for someone to switch the glove box door from car to car then the passenger doors and trunk? Maybe whoever replaced the ignition thought that while they were at it they could replace the glove box and make you the customer extra happy. After all, who doesn't use their glove box lock every day? Just my .02 cents...

As others have said though, it's probably just some jammed locks (odd though that all doors and trunk would be frozen at the same time).

Why do you say this dealer was less then reputable and did you figure that before or after you went to the lot and bought the car?