4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So does my 99se cali-spec have no potential???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So does my 99se cali-spec have no potential???

i've been reading alot here about how cali-spec's have a bunch of useless junk in the exhaust and that fed-spec's are so much tighter than cali-spec.

what potential does my 99 SE-L Cali-Spec MAXIMA have? or do I HAVE TO CONVERT TO FED before my maxi can enter dopeness?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

It has about the same as any other 4th gen. JWT has a program now, there for it lacks nothing. Treat it like a 5th gen and get some real headers, get some sort of VI, and something to tune with. Youre set with just a few mods.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
It has about the same as any other 4th gen. JWT has a program now, there for it lacks nothing. Treat it like a 5th gen and get some real headers, get some sort of VI, and something to tune with. Youre set with just a few mods.
i read that a y-pipe really ads nothing considering the cat converter inside the header, ohh yeah and let me mention, i realise this car has plenty of potential, I don't really have alot of money to blow on this car right now but wanted to do something cheap to boost performance, like a y-pipe that I was told was useless unless converted.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:03 PM
SHIFT_up

Idk why everyone keeps saying that there's a pre-cat in the headers. I have a 99 cali spec and yes i do have 2 cat's. One AFTER my headers before the y-pipe and one after the y-pipe between the rear exhaust. I'll be changing both of those along with the y-pipe...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
Idk why everyone keeps saying that there's a pre-cat in the headers. I have a 99 cali spec and yes i do have 2 cat's. One AFTER my headers before the y-pipe and one after the y-pipe between the rear exhaust. I'll be changing both of those along with the y-pipe...
i pulled this from

Sticky: 4th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!)

What are the year to year differences on 4th Gen (95-99) Maximas?

1999 -

On CA emission 99's Front pre-cat built into header, two extra oxygen sensors to monitor pre-cats (total of 4), Swirl valve in intake to improve emissions. Special aftermarket Y-pipe required and only 1 pre-cat can be removed.

basically, this left me w/ the understanding that the pre-cat built into the header cannot be removed, and that there is 2 pre-cats. Is this sticky wrong? I want to know because I want to 'maximize' my 'maxima' naw mean.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:18 AM
SHIFT_up

The sticky is correct. I'm just telling you what i have on my car. My mechanic showed me both of my precats. I told him i have one in my headers and asked him if it's difficult to change it. He said why would you change your headers when you pre-cat is sitting right after them...I was in total shock but i do have 2 pre cats which i can clearly see under my car.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 AM

99 is the least efficient in comparison to weight and emission. The pre-cats are useless and its the heaviest year for Maximas. Im taking out my cali spec in a couple of days to fed.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There is a thread about converting the front mainfold to a fed spec. The car was dynoed with both the cali spec front pre cat and a y pipe, then the stillen up pipe was added with a fed spec front maninfold. There are very very minimal gains, and you do lose some mid range power. If you want to be cheap about the conversion buy the SS autochrome headers and y pipe.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:29 PM

The sticky is correct. I'm just telling you what i have on my car. My mechanic showed me both of my precats. I told him i have one in my headers and asked him if it's difficult to change it. He said why would you change your headers when you pre-cat is sitting right after them...I was in total shock but i do have 2 pre cats which i can clearly see under my car.
so how is the sticky correct if it says only one pre-cat can be removed? Your mechanic didn't mention anything to you about that? I'm just trying to figure out if anyone knows why the sticky says 'only 1 pre-cat can be removed.'

I don't want to remove it and ph uck it up.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:35 PM

There is a thread about converting the front mainfold to a fed spec. The car was dynoed with both the cali spec front pre cat and a y pipe, then the stillen up pipe was added with a fed spec front maninfold. There are very very minimal gains, and you do lose some mid range power.
that's what I keep reading, sounds like a waste of time and money for not much gain.
If you want to be cheap about the conversion buy the SS autochrome headers and y pipe.
sounds like a good idea, what about that front pre-cat, leave it there?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:53 PM

In a Cali spec car, by putting in a Cali spec y-pipe you eliminate the pre cat near the catalytic converter. You do not get rid of the pre cat that connects to the header.

picture of how the Cali Spec Y-pipe looks and the remaining precat.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
...and its the heaviest year for Maximas.
Is there actual proof of this?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by joel pixton
i've been reading alot here about how cali-spec's have a bunch of useless junk in the exhaust and that fed-spec's are so much tighter than cali-spec.

what potential does my 99 SE-L Cali-Spec MAXIMA have? or do I HAVE TO CONVERT TO FED before my maxi can enter dopeness?
You are Screwed.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by chefmaurod
In a Cali spec car, by putting in a Cali spec y-pipe you eliminate the pre cat near the catalytic converter. You do not get rid of the pre cat that connects to the header.

picture of how the Cali Spec Y-pipe looks and the remaining precat.
That's a nice picture of the bottom of my car
Old 07-22-2006, 04:45 PM

This has been beaten to hell and back...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=4436022
Old 07-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

that's what I keep reading, sounds like a waste of time and money for not much gain.sounds like a good idea, what about that front pre-cat, leave it there?
The headers and y will replace everything in front of the main cat (below the shifter). They are cheap as heck, and all you will need is an O2 simulator. IMO those SSAC headers are crap, but hey for a cali spec they will convert you to fed spec for cheap as dirt, add some bling, and give you a nice y pipe all at the same time. Check the 5th gen forum out for some good info on headers/fed conversions. All 00-01 are like a 99. Most of those guys just shell out the money for Cattmans or Hotshot headers. They are a far better design over the SSAC, but much more money.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:49 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

just convert it i did it last weekend and no matter what the dyno says my *** says it was worth it....personally dynos dont mean much to me what matters is how fast it takes off when i punch it.....if i feel a difference it was worth it.....

im in the middle of my 5 speed swap right now....the lbs im shedding alone will be worth it.....
Old 07-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DaEnigma
This has bean beaten to hell and back...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=4436022
beans??? ohhh been beaten to hell and back. so I see. Thnx for the link, seems to answer exactly what I was wondering.

actually, thnx alot enigma, this thread was exactly what I was looking for. I just read the whole thing and don't have a single question left referring to this issue.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
just convert it i did it last weekend and no matter what the dyno says my *** says it was worth it....personally dynos dont mean much to me what matters is how fast it takes off when i punch it.....if i feel a difference it was worth it.....

im in the middle of my 5 speed swap right now....the lbs im shedding alone will be worth it.....
yeah, seems to be working for alot of people.

edit: did you get any pictures of this swap?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:54 PM

The headers and y will replace everything in front of the main cat (below the shifter). They are cheap as heck, and all you will need is an O2 simulator. IMO those SSAC headers are crap, but hey for a cali spec they will convert you to fed spec for cheap as dirt, add some bling, and give you a nice y pipe all at the same time. Check the 5th gen forum out for some good info on headers/fed conversions. All 00-01 are like a 99. Most of those guys just shell out the money for Cattmans or Hotshot headers. They are a far better design over the SSAC, but much more money.
gonna check into the Cattmans, maybe I can fork out a little more money, thnx for the advice
Old 07-23-2006, 12:19 AM

Yea, i searched all over car domain looking for a 99 Cali Spec so i had some sort of idea what the install would look like and your picture was the only one on the entire site that helped me out. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Is there actual proof of this?
Of the 4th gens, sure. Comon sense. Ive seen and inspected all 5yrs.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:48 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

yeah, seems to be working for alot of people.

edit: did you get any pictures of this swap?
it was kinda hard i did it in the rain....im a glutton for punishment

for example i need a timing ring to finish my 5 spd swap so everythings on hold for the moment.....
Old 07-23-2006, 02:48 PM

beans??? ohhh been beaten to hell and back. so I see. Thnx for the link, seems to answer exactly what I was wondering.

actually, thnx alot enigma, this thread was exactly what I was looking for. I just read the whole thing and don't have a single question left referring to this issue.
Doh! I was in a hurry during that post
Old 07-23-2006, 08:39 PM

AH, I have a cali spec that will put nutz on your chin