4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hydroplaining a Max...A Firestone story.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Hydroplaining a Max...A Firestone story.....

I'm now pursuing a new set of tires.My current Firestone Affinity LH30 All Seasons put me in a f'ing ditch on the way to work. Light drizzle, exiting the highway,hit the brakes, and I instantly lost grip/steering ,thus sliding off the off-ramp embankment and into the muddy ditch....scariest feeling in the world..

praise God,the only damage was a muddy-a$$ car ( sorry, no gory accident pics...) ..and being stared at by EVERY RUBBERNECKIN MORON during rush hour,but the baseline is, my tires suck, so what's the best tires for a stock 15" rim with stock ride height?

And before the flaming begins,yes, Its my fault cause I got cheap with the rubber,and I coulda died or f'ed up the Max from being cheap,so trust me, i've learned my lesson........
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ArcticW
I'm now pursuing a new set of tires.My current Firestone Affinity LH30 All Seasons put me in a f'ing ditch on the way to work. Light drizzle, exiting the highway,hit the brakes, and I instantly lost grip/steering ,thus sliding off the off-ramp embankment and into the muddy ditch....scariest feeling in the world..

praise God,the only damage was a muddy-a$$ car ( sorry, no gory accident pics...) ..and being stared at by EVERY RUBBERNECKIN MORON during rush hour,but the baseline is, my tires suck, so what's the best tires for a stock 15" rim with stock ride height?

And before the flaming begins,yes, Its my fault cause I got cheap with the rubber,and I coulda died or f'ed up the Max from being cheap,so trust me, i've learned my lesson........
I have fuzion HRI on my 17s and they're GREAT in dry/wet, havent tried them in snow yet. Tread pattern looks very aggressive as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM

I'm very happy with my Toyo Proxes TPT tires...a bit expensive but good tires.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM

Supposedly those Goodyear trippletread are really good for all weather (go read some ratings on tire sites) or you could go with some Toyos, can't go wrong there. Theres others... just read up on tire sites 1010tires has lots of good reviews (crappy prices though)
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by the_3d_man
Supposedly those Goodyear trippletread are really good for all weather (go read some ratings on tire sites) or you could go with some Toyos, can't go wrong there. Theres others... just read up on tire sites 1010tires has lots of good reviews (crappy prices though)
Crappy Prices are good. Trust me, when you hit the brakes and all you feel through the steering is the car sliding off the road , you won't give a rats' **** about $.

Thanks for the responses. Ill Look up the Toyo's, and start savin. Definitely don't need to test these POS tires during a Chicago Winter.....
Old 08-01-2006, 12:22 PM

im happy with my continental extreme contacts... 94$ a tire u cant beat that
Old 08-01-2006, 01:08 PM

Been VERY happy with my Bridgestone Potenza RE950's. GREAT traction on all conditions.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:35 PM

last year i put on a new set of Falken Ziex tires.... i love them... they have awesome traction in all conditions... and they look pretty good too...
Old 08-01-2006, 03:14 PM
eturnl

I just bought new potenza G009 aparently they are awesome, i havent put them on my car yet but i will as soon as i replace my lower control arms and bushings.
btw, I dont mean to rant, buts hard to believe that you lost control upon exiting, and a light drizzle. Unless it was below 0... I would say you were going a bit too fast for the ramp and then skid forward. The best thing to do in that situation is to let off the brake and straighten your wheels to regain control. anyway just thought i'd comment. Peace.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Bridgestone Potenza RE950s!Can't go wrong with those
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by dave405nyc
Bridgestone Potenza RE950s!Can't go wrong with those
I don't believe that's an all season tire...

Old 08-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Ichiban King

Potenzas are way too much money and its not like they're special.. try toyo proxes 4's and TPT's and personally I love Falkens, the Fk452's.

Or if you dont care about tread wear haha go Proxes T1. Then again you live in IL, don't drive with these in the snow lol.

Fk452- UHP/ 300 treadwear
Proxes 4- UHPAS/ 300 treadwear
Proxes TPT- HPAS/ 400 treadwear (this one looks like the perfect one for you)
Proxes T1- MP/ 280 treadwear
Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM

Yep they're all seasons. you can check it out at tirerack.com

Originally Posted by eturnl
I don't believe that's an all season tire...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:49 PM

IMO,under a light dizzle all roads are slick. Even the best tires can lose traction in those conditions. All the oils/fluids from vehicles don't get a chance to wash away, thus making the roads slick.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Continential Exteremecontacts, ive got em on the allante and love em, they are prob. classified as all season, but if you get alot of snow they are gonna be tough to use...
Old 08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by fisher01
IMO,under a light dizzle all roads are slick. Even the best tires can lose traction in those conditions. All the oils/fluids from vehicles don't get a chance to wash away, thus making the roads slick.
its not an opinion, its a fact.. all roads are slick when wet, you just do youre best to not drive like a moron and avoid oilslick. Never the less my Falkens stick to the road like a magnet even when wet.

But IMO you only need all seasons if you have to drive through snow or sleet, otherwise most summer performance tires are great in wet and dry conditions alike. Then again this is FL.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM

I'll give a second vote for Bridgestone's Potenza G009. I have stock size on 15 inch rims for 20,000 miles now. Still stick very well in the wet. Talked the local Firestone guy into $300 complete, inc. mount, balance and tax. Even Tire Rack couldn't beat that deal.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:20 AM

Crappy Prices are good. Trust me, when you hit the brakes and all you feel through the steering is the car sliding off the road , you won't give a rats' **** about $.

Thanks for the responses. Ill Look up the Toyo's, and start savin. Definitely don't need to test these POS tires during a Chicago Winter.....
I don't think any tire would help you if you just instantly lose control like that. Brake before entering a turn, when you brake in a turn, your tire must take forces from both braking input and steering input... doesn't make your car corner any better... Just don't drive on bald tires

BTW the condition that you describe is not hydroplaning, it is just wet road conditions. Hydroplaning is water lifting your tires off the road when you drive too fast and causes your to lose control. You don't even have to brake or corner to lose control.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by fisher01
THis time, I think its the sh!tty tires. The road was slick, but that in and of itself doesn't trigger hydroplaining. Its the tires' tread and compound that makes the difference, not just the weather.

Just to make my point, I can chirp the Firestones on a decent launch-with a bad K/S....

To add insult to all this, the rear tires are wearing unevenly, so now the rear-end does a Fox-body routine every time I hit a sideways crack....just one more reason to stay off the tollway I guess......
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 AM

The best all-around street tire for the money is the falken ziex. I paid about $50 bucks apiece at discount tire direct, with free shipping. There not Azenis, but they have held up very well and worn evenly, and work better in rain than the $100+ (apiece) Michelins I used previously.

I have come to the conclusion that the cheapest way to handle tires is to use the cheapest you can live with on stock wheels on the street, and mount good (azenis in my case) tires for the AX.

If you do like a lot of folks on the road (I'll take hell for this) and mount 17's or 18's, you'll pay a fortune up front and set yourself up to pay a lot of money for fast wearing tires for a long time. And your ride quality goes way down--not that I care about that.

Another thing--be glad you were on 15's when you went off the road--would probably have damaged a larger rim. Glad to hear you and your ride are alright.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 AM
What's next!?..

When I was on 15's I used Dunlop Sport A2s. They were pretty good all-season tires in all kinds of weather.

They did wear out kinda quick though. 20-30k

The only thing they didn't handle was goin up a steep hill (to parents house) in 2 feet of snow. LOL.

I'm on 17s with Hankook Ventus HR2 tires now and am pretty pleased. Long lasting tread, good grip in all weather, and handles light snow and ice fairly well.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

[QUOTE=96gxe5spd]The best all-around street tire for the money is the falken ziex. I paid about $50 bucks apiece at discount tire direct, with free shipping. There not Azenis, but they have held up very well and worn evenly, and work better in rain than the $100+ (apiece) Michelins I used previously.
[QUOTE]

I had the Zeix and I was not happy with how they felt in the rain. They gave me no confidence when I ran into puddles on the freeway and it felt like moments of hydroplaning. Crappy in light snow too.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 96gxe5spd
If you do like a lot of folks on the road (I'll take hell for this) and mount 17's or 18's, you'll pay a fortune up front and set yourself up to pay a lot of money for fast wearing tires for a long time. And your ride quality goes way down--not that I care about that.

Another thing--be glad you were on 15's when you went off the road--would probably have damaged a larger rim. Glad to hear you and your ride are alright.
YEah, glad it was only my wallet that got totaled....
The fcuked up thing wasn't even the accident itself,bad as it was, but every Tom, ****, And Harry plus nosy kids was gettin off the interstate, and the mortifying embarrassment of hundreds of people luckier than u staring at your sunk ride like it's some kind of spaceship or something......and it wasn't like it was totaled or anything gory, just a white car in the mud, and folks was rubberneckin like they neva seen an accident or something. One particular a$$ in a Jeep , takin a pic wit his Razor phone almost drove off the frickin road himself cause of his rubberneckin......

Anyways, /End Rant.

Im tryin to stick to the stock rims, since they are light and don't look comepletely awful IMO. 18" rims look good, but they add unsprung weight, kinda like adding lead shoes to a track runner. So no dubs for me, but finding a good tire at that "small" rim size is the challenge. I'd even go the extra expense of a summer/winter tire combo, but $>me right now.......

PS: Dont Wipe out During Rush Hour!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Maintenance Monster

1) Don't buy from Sears on NTB or one of those big chain retailers. They carry the big brands, but usually some variation from the 'real' tire model. IMO, they would only do this if their variation was somehow cheaper but looked like the real thing.

2) Are you looking for an all-season tire, or summer only tire? I assume you want all-season, in which case I'm very happy with my Falken Ziex ZE-512. Good tire, good price. Do not make the mistake of not buying an all-season tire, or the first wet day below the freezing point will be the same off-road experience.

3) If you actually hydroplaned, remember that tread depth is at least as important as the quality/type of tire you buy. Even the best tires will lose wet traction significantly as they get closer to the wear limit. If rain is where you demand performance, the answer is not to buy the best rain tire can afford, but to buy the best rain tire that you can afford to replace *before* they worn out. When rain is a big factor, replace them when they get within 1/16" of the wear bars.

Dave
Old 08-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jman7777
Been VERY happy with my Bridgestone Potenza RE950's. GREAT traction on all conditions.
these are a costco only tire right? Same ones i have on mine. the wife complains about bad traction, but i fling it around corners and drive it aggresively and have never slid.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Ichiban King

bridgestone, pirelli and michelin.. =

Falken, hankook, toyo.. most of these companies make tires equivalent to the above mentioned brands for a lot less, thus a greater value. As degeesaman stated, that Ziex tire is a fine tire, still I love my FK452's FTW.

The reason I didn't name Dunlop or Kumho is because I've heard real mixed reviews on them in general, but like everything else ppls opinions on tires differ.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Custmguru
these are a costco only tire right? Same ones i have on mine. the wife complains about bad traction, but i fling it around corners and drive it aggresively and have never slid.

Nope got mine @ Tirerack.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
But IMO you only need all seasons if you have to drive through snow or sleet, otherwise most summer performance tires are great in wet and dry conditions alike. Then again this is FL.
+1 Summer tires > all-season tires as far as wet traction is concerned as a general rule.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by nismology
+1 Summer tires > all-season tires as far as wet traction is concerned as a general rule.
haven't seen you in a good minute.. good to see you're still around.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VQmaxi17
last year i put on a new set of Falken Ziex tires.... i love them... they have awesome traction in all conditions... and they look pretty good too...
It's my second set of Falken Ziex. I got all four tires installed and balanced for about $320. The traction on wet surfaces is much better than Michellin Pilot MVX (not sure the name). The road noise is also better than Michellin.

Try Falken and you will love it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by svojs
It's my second set of Falken Ziex. I got all four tires installed and balanced for about $320. The traction on wet surface is much better than Michellin Pilot MVX (not sure the name). The road noise is also better than Michellin.

Try Flaken and you will love it.
ahh another satisified Falken user.. and thats one hell of a deal.