4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what is te correct driving pattern to reset ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by matty
Thank you for the great input. Anyone else have anything else to say ???

-matt

It takes a while, and you have to drive in certain patterns to get the others to go the the ready state. I literaly drove over 100 miles in various different cycles and I could never get them to change, I finally slipped the inspector some extra cash and he just placed the sticker on it.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I just dont think its the Emanage being the problem here. I think my ECU is just not reset properly.

I do think im running a 95 Fed Spec ECU. When I do the driving pattern, do I reset the ECU before I do that, after Im done, can I drive to the place to do it...How long do I have to check the computer if the Two are Ready ??

I dont have a Cat, but the O2 is still plugged in. I dont have an EGR, but its all plugged in and good.

If I cant get it to go to ready, Im pretty much SOL ??

-matt
Well for me I run a '95 fed spec ECU in a '96 and it has a interesting problem, maybe it's the same problem as your car.

I could get all the systems to be ready but once the engine was turned off it would reset everything. This was verified with my OBD-2 scan tool. What I had to do was run a fused line straight from the battery to the ECU's primary power wire. This kept the ECU fed with constant power.

I then went out and got the systems to all goto ready. Next day I drove up to the testing station and the car passed, all systems have to be ready here and they were. Just make sure your battery is up to snuff, my battery died over one night attempting this.

To me it sounds like you have the same problem. Because you run no cat converter with a functional o2 sensor. Everytime you shut the car off it erases the data or CELs it's saving. Newer ECUs have a functional memory that saves data, from what I've seen is that the '95 ECUs do not. What's going to happen if you hard wire the ECU and do the driving pattern you will get a P0420 code which indicates poor catalytic efficency and possibly a EGR code.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
It takes a while, and you have to drive in certain patterns to get the others to go the the ready state. I literaly drove over 100 miles in various different cycles and I could never get them to change, I finally slipped the inspector some extra cash and he just placed the sticker on it.
We have no luck bribing officals here. The car is hooked up to a center based machine that tracks everything, had to use my brain to give the man the big FU.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well jersey, all you need is Two out of the Four systems to be ready, and it sends it off to the main system in Jersey. Once that happens, it prints a sticker and your done. Its kinda weird cause last time this was soo easy to do but I think it was different two years ago. The car doesnt have to be hooked up the Dyno, sniffer, none of that.

So you saying even though I have NO Cat and NO EGR, I CAN still get the systems to go to the ready phase ? I only need two of them.

What If I drive around and check locally if the systems went to ready. If they have, ill keep the car running and drive down to this guys shop. Once I get down there, keep it running and check the systems if they are ready. If they stay in the ready phase on the ride down, then Im set.

There is No reason for me to get them in the ready phase, then shut the car off and keep the ECU hot all night, then go in the morning. This can all be done in one day if I can get them to go over to ready.

-matt
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Well jersey, all you need is Two out of the Four systems to be ready, and it sends it off to the main system in Jersey. Once that happens, it prints a sticker and your done. Its kinda weird cause last time this was soo easy to do but I think it was different two years ago. The car doesnt have to be hooked up the Dyno, sniffer, none of that.

So you saying even though I have NO Cat and NO EGR, I CAN still get the systems to go to the ready phase ? I only need two of them.

What If I drive around and check locally if the systems went to ready. If they have, ill keep the car running and drive down to this guys shop. Once I get down there, keep it running and check the systems if they are ready. If they stay in the ready phase on the ride down, then Im set.

There is No reason for me to get them in the ready phase, then shut the car off and keep the ECU hot all night, then go in the morning. This can all be done in one day if I can get them to go over to ready.

-matt
Well one of the two easy systems you have eliminated. The heated o2 sensor and EGR are easy. But your EGR is gone.

However if you read the SRT procedure ALL of them require you to turn the engine off and remove the key. Then start the car to continue the process. This is why I had to hard wire the ECU to stay on. I didn't think it would work, but the engine does need to be shut off at least once in the process. You won't get the Cat converter and o2 sensor to goto ready unless you turn the ignition off. Honestly Nissan has thought this out to prevent tampering.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Well one of the two easy systems you have eliminated. The heated o2 sensor and EGR are easy. But your EGR is gone.

However if you read the SRT procedure ALL of them require you to turn the engine off and remove the key. Then start the car to continue the process. This is why I had to hard wire the ECU to stay on. I didn't think it would work, but the engine does need to be shut off at least once in the process. You won't get the Cat converter and o2 sensor to goto ready unless you turn the ignition off. Honestly Nissan has thought this out to prevent tampering.
Well what type of wire am I using to keep the ECU powered up ??
How big of a Fuse ??
Where am I tapping the power on the ECU ? Main power wire for the ECU ??
I have my Emanage all hooked up and functional, so I can probably just disconnect the main power wire, and splice the a line coming from the battery, right into the mix...so Ill have three wires there...just a splice.

So even with not having EGR or a CAT, I can still get those settings to go to ready by doing that drive pattern ??

-matt
Old 03-09-2007, 04:09 AM

Driving method seems pretty easy (even on a regular street) If not, pay someone to use their Dyno for an hour (or in the case of NYC ask an inspection station since they dont use it for inspections anymore).

I cant see you getting a ready state for the EGR or CAT without them being installed. Even if the sensors are plugged up, I am pretty sure without having something to sense they will either have an error or not be able to enter a ready state (unless you have something to simulate a signal). Just guess on that though.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Well what type of wire am I using to keep the ECU powered up ??
How big of a Fuse ??
Where am I tapping the power on the ECU ? Main power wire for the ECU ??
I have my Emanage all hooked up and functional, so I can probably just disconnect the main power wire, and splice the a line coming from the battery, right into the mix...so Ill have three wires there...just a splice.

So even with not having EGR or a CAT, I can still get those settings to go to ready by doing that drive pattern ??

-matt
I think I used 16 gauge wire, it's what I had laying around and seemed to work OK. 20 Amp fuse is fine, just something in case there is a short somewhere and the car doesn't burn up. I only cut the big red wire coming out of the ECU harness and soldered that to the wire from the battery. Also tape the wire that was feeding the ECU so it doesn't short out. When your done with the testing and get a sticker just solder it back to way it was done orginally until next time.

IMO if you have a working catalytic converter I would install it and do the driving pattern for the cat and o2 sensor. I think in order to get the o2 sensor to goto ready you have to do the driving pattern for the cat converter first and it's not there, so it will give you a CEL for the missing cat but a ready for the o2 sensor.

Also use the driving pattern for a '96 Altima fed spec M/T, this worked on both '95 fed spec M/T Maxima ECUs that I tested out. It's much easier than the '96 ECUs and it only requires one trip. I passed the testing in a matter of minutes following that driving pattern, but I have all my emissons equipment installed. In your case I would warm the car up, skip the EGR pattern, turn the car off, and do the part for the Cat and o2 sensor.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM

I think I used 16 gauge wire, it's what I had laying around and seemed to work OK. 20 Amp fuse is fine, just something in case there is a short somewhere and the car doesn't burn up. I only cut the big red wire coming out of the ECU harness and soldered that to the wire from the battery. Also tape the wire that was feeding the ECU so it doesn't short out. When your done with the testing and get a sticker just solder it back to way it was done orginally until next time.

IMO if you have a working catalytic converter I would install it and do the driving pattern for the cat and o2 sensor. I think in order to get the o2 sensor to goto ready you have to do the driving pattern for the cat converter first and it's not there, so it will give you a CEL for the missing cat but a ready for the o2 sensor.

Also use the driving pattern for a '96 Altima fed spec M/T, this worked on both '95 fed spec M/T Maxima ECUs that I tested out. It's much easier than the '96 ECUs and it only requires one trip. I passed the testing in a matter of minutes following that driving pattern, but I have all my emissons equipment installed. In your case I would warm the car up, skip the EGR pattern, turn the car off, and do the part for the Cat and o2 sensor.
I dont have a working cat though. When I did my exhaust, I have a test pipe with a three bolt flange on either end.

-matt
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I dont have a working cat though. When I did my exhaust, I have a test pipe with a three bolt flange on either end.

-matt
Hmmm well try this.

Wire it up like I said earlier and see what happens. If you get a code for the cat converter and know someone with a good OBD-2 scan tool. They might be able to erase the cat code while keeping the other systems ready. This will give you a ready for the heated o2 and the o2 sensor and no CELs.

Keep in mind this took me MONTHS of testing and tweaking in order to pass emissons here. I had to buy a cat converter, a new rear o2 sensor, and a good OBD-2 scan tool. Then I still had to mess with other stuff and finally found out that you have to hard wire the '95 ECU to stay on.

This is the future of emissons testing so we all have to get used to it. At least you don't need to have all systems at ready...
Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 AM

use the driving pattern for the 96 Fed Spec Altima M/T ?? I dont see one for a 1995. ??

-matt
Old 03-10-2007, 12:21 PM

What exactly is the driving pattern...just a summary. Im a little confused.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

use the driving pattern for the 96 Fed Spec Altima M/T ?? I dont see one for a 1995. ??

-matt
Did you ever get this setup to work on emissons or not?

People make tons of suggestions on how to fix stuff on this site, but tend not to give much feed back if they have any success. Im curious to know if any of the stuff I suggested worked for you.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:37 PM

Have not tried it...Im going to run a wire from the battery to the ECU, then do the driving pattern and check with a local guy if the systems are ready. If they are, then I drive right down to my guy and get the test done.

-matt
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM

***UPDATE***

I wasnt able to do the driving pattern succesfully because its just too hard to do in my area with the temp of coolant. I gave up after the first try and just tryed going to get the car inspected again without doing the pattern.

NO EGR
NO CATYLST

Even though I dont have an EGR or a CAT, 2 Out of the 4 systems went "Ready" and I passed inspection. The 02 sensor heater was "Ready" and the "EGR" was ready.

Man it is nice to have a 2009 Sticker on the car.

Thanks for all your help guys

-matt
Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What you need to do is allow veh to warm up. Drive about 15 miles best if highway. next, you will have to be in a buisness area or anyware you drive and stop. completly stop for 5 seconds and accelerate normaly to about 20-25mph... stop completly and repeat about 5 times. That will do the trick.... I GARRANTY!!! now if the code is still present the light will come back on in the drive pattern. Good luck
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Did you ever get this setup to work on emissons or not?

People make tons of suggestions on how to fix stuff on this site, but tend not to give much feed back if they have any success. Im curious to know if any of the stuff I suggested worked for you.
I know this is old and all but I had to reply and thank you. I have a 96 with a 95MT ECU and your trick worked perfectly. I was a bit paranoid about the RED wire you cut since the driving pattern calls for a ignition cut off, red wire, so I did unhook it which most likely reset the catalyst monitors. I was willing to risk that one monitor no being ready as opposed to the other 2. Took an hour or so to find all the required roads and passed emissions with ease.