4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need BBK!!!!! and some Q & A

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I need BBK!!!!! and some Q & A

Matty or Jeff I need the brackets, rings, and lines!
After getting my caliper problem straight I am now ready to get the BBK kit.

Also if I use the 12.6" 04 maxima rotor would I still need the rings?

And since I am running 18X8 ford wheels now if I used the 13" cobra rotors will I still need the rings?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 AM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by buttonhook
Matty or Jeff I need the brackets, rings, and lines!
After getting my caliper problem straight I am now ready to get the BBK kit.

Also if I use the 12.6" 04 maxima rotor would I still need the rings?

And since I am running 18X8 ford wheels now if I used the 13" cobra rotors will I still need the rings?
If you want matts brackets you can use only the 12.6" maxima rotors. You shouldnt need rings as maxima hubs are same size. Also the maxima rotors might have to be milled down 3 mm or so. I am not sure on this so someone correct me if that wrong. Maybe grind on the LCA also.

If you use 13" cobra rotors you need to purchase jeffs brackets and rings. Yes you need rings for cobra rotors. These are a direct bolt up no milling or grinding.

Have you done any measuring making sure the calipers will clear the wheels? I am assuming your using z32 calipers.

Wish I had my BBK ready to go. All I got is 13" cobra rotors. Brackets, bolts, and rings were lost in mail. And now the guy I bought the calipers from decided he isnt going to sell them.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
If you want matts brackets you can use only the 12.6" maxima rotors. You shouldnt need rings as maxima hubs are same size. Also the maxima rotors might have to be milled down 3 mm or so. I am not sure on this so someone correct me if that wrong. Maybe grind on the LCA also.

If you use 13" cobra rotors you need to purchase jeffs brackets and rings. Yes you need rings for cobra rotors. These are a direct bolt up no milling or grinding.

Have you done any measuring making sure the calipers will clear the wheels? I am assuming your using z32 calipers.

Wish I had my BBK ready to go. All I got is 13" cobra rotors. Brackets, bolts, and rings were lost in mail. And now the guy I bought the calipers from decided he isnt going to sell them.
He's not going to sell the calipers?? did you pay him already?
So you need the same things I do?? I got mine at o'rileys for like $115 each Alum and rebuilt. I dont care which one of the kits I use I just need them kind of fast .4" is not that big of a difference, but I don't want to have to grind anything!! I mesured the wheels they will be close I may have to use a 5 mm spacer I don't know for sure
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 AM
I support for what?

He's not going to sell the calipers?? did you pay him already?
So you need the same things I do?? I got mine at o'rileys for like $115 each Alum and rebuilt. I dont care which one of the kits I use I just need them kind of fast .4" is not that big of a difference, but I don't want to have to grind anything!! I mesured the wheels they will be close I may have to use a 5 mm spacer I don't know for sure
Yea I sent him the money 2 weeks ago. He said he was shipping them etc but then 2 days ago he said he keeping them so he will send money back on friday. Well I need everything but rotors.

I really wish I knew if you have to grind for the 12.6 to clear but I just dont know I know the 300zx ones you do. But you also have to mill down the 300zx rotors so I am just giving guesses out.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM

yeah I asked about grinding with the 300zx rotor and I know you do. but I don't know about with the other kits. Maybe someone will chime in here.
Off topic but did you go to the game fri.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

WHICH Ford 18x8 wheels??? Not all will clear this bbk.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
WHICH Ford 18x8 wheels??? Not all will clear this bbk.
they are off of a 2002 mercury marader I mesured the depth and I think they will be close but maybe you know for sure?????
Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I support for what?

yeah I asked about grinding with the 300zx rotor and I know you do. but I don't know about with the other kits. Maybe someone will chime in here.
Noah I dont go to games I dont care for that stuff. Yea hopefully someone can let you know for sure.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

I need a close up pic of the wheels on the car. I'll guess teh maurader still useds the mustang/cobra 2 piston calipers. So if the fitment is real close on the stock setup, there's a good chance that it won't clear a bbk using the 300ZX calipers. You might have a chance with the Q45/J30 calipers though. As they are 2 piston type
Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 AM

I need a close up pic of the wheels on the car. I'll guess teh maurader still useds the mustang/cobra 2 piston calipers. So if the fitment is real close on the stock setup, there's a good chance that it won't clear a bbk using the 300ZX calipers. You might have a chance with the Q45/J30 calipers though. As they are 2 piston type
I have a set of both 300zx and the q45 there is between 2 1/2"-2" clearance from the face of the rotor to the back of the wheel at the stock caliper location
Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Best way is to just mount the Z caliper/Q caliper on the stock mounting ear. And bolt on the wheel and note the clearance. Add about 10mm of additional clearance needed.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Best way is to just mount the Z caliper/Q caliper on the stock mounting ear. And bolt on the wheel and note the clearance. Add about 10mm of additional clearance needed.
the wheel get thinner as they go out(away from the hub) so if I have I know atleast 2 1/4"'s at the stock location I might have 2 3/4" 14" away from the hub.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 AM

do you have any kits in stock??
Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

Actually what you need is the clearance at the point where the caliper is going to sit. My suggestion will give you a rough idea. You can draw a line from the end of the caliper outward to see if you have clearance where the caliper would actually sit.

But one would have to actually install these to know. But since you have both calipers and wheels, you can do this. You don't even have to rebleed the brakes as you only have to take off the caliper. The brake line stays attached.

Yes I have the brackets and rings in stock.

You can see what I mean here: See how much clearance there is AFTER the install? Click to enlarge

the wheel get thinner as they go out(away from the hub) so if I have I know atleast 2 1/4"'s at the stock location I might have 2 3/4" 14" away from the hub.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 AM

I will check fitmet later. I just got my wisdom teeth out today so not really feeling it!! I belive the 300zx caliper will fit. if not I will use the Q45's do you have the brake lines for the z as well? you can PM me with prices and details if you like.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

Lines you get from Matt93se or other. I just sell the brackets and rings. PM on the way
Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 AM
I Broke OT

Actually what you need is the clearance at the point where the caliper is going to sit. My suggestion will give you a rough idea. You can draw a line from the end of the caliper outward to see if you have clearance where the caliper would actually sit.

But one would have to actually install these to know. But since you have both calipers and wheels, you can do this. You don't even have to rebleed the brakes as you only have to take off the caliper. The brake line stays attached.

Yes I have the brackets and rings in stock.

You can see what I mean here: See how much clearance there is AFTER the install? Click to enlarge

are you showing clearance between the caliper and the spoke or the caliper and the outer ring of the wheel? i'm not really sure where fitment issues arrise the most.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm needing a caw

"Most" 17" wheels and larger work. It's the caliper to spoke clearance that is the biggest problem
Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 AM

I used to have the 13" cobra set up with 300zx Calipers on my 4th gen.... Jeff's bracket and cobra rotors NO grinding required, same with Matt's as long as you use their brackets with proper sized recommended rotors there's no grinding required. Both of these guys brackets are different. I went 13" cobra's with Jeff's brackets and rings only because there is a much larger selection of aftermarket rotors and a cheaper price. At least there was when I did the conversion.Hope that helps and good luck, you'll enjoy it!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 PM

Wanna hear somre more IRONY after I sold you my BBk....the USPS lost all in the mail and i refunded you for replacement.

well i realize i need brakes now and its going to cost about the same to replace just rotors and pads with stock stuff as i sold you the BBk for.
So i ordered new brackets and rings from jeff yesterday. I WISH i never sold that kit.

Also I don't think matt is selling 4th Gen BBk brackets anymore. He was sold out when i pmed him and not sure when he will be making more.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Zack342
Wanna hear somre more IRONY after I sold you my BBk....the USPS lost all in the mail and i refunded you for replacement.

well i realize i need brakes now and its going to cost about the same to replace just rotors and pads with stock stuff as i sold you the BBk for.
So i ordered new brackets and rings from jeff yesterday. I WISH i never sold that kit.

Also I don't think matt is selling 4th Gen BBk brackets anymore. He was sold out when i pmed him and not sure when he will be making more.
That sucks!!!!!! does matt still have any of the line or can I just use stock 300zx lines??
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM

You can use a set of 240-300Z conversion lines if you want SS. Check out http://www.heavythrottle.com/ or http://www.pdm-racing.com/ . Been using mine for over 4 years with no issues.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Tha Snatcher

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...sprune=30&f=87
Old 08-25-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by KMax2988
You can use a set of 240-300Z conversion lines if you want SS. Check out http://www.heavythrottle.com/ or http://www.pdm-racing.com/ . Been using mine for over 4 years with no issues.
the first site would not let me check out and the other didnot sell just the lines.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 PM

PDM sells um here; they're the first ones on the page. As for heavy throttle, I used to call them to order every time.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:30 PM

thank you they were only $60. how are they about shipping time wise
Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 AM

thanks PDM,
I order on 8/25/06............ it's now 09/07/06 and still no brake lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm getting pissed!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Maxima Owner

when u using the maxima rotors nothing has to be milled or ground down...thw only think u might have to do is drill the holes on the brackets our with a 1/2" drill bit cause the powder coat builds up and doesnt allow the bolts thru
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
when u using the maxima rotors nothing has to be milled or ground down...thw only think u might have to do is drill the holes on the brackets our with a 1/2" drill bit cause the powder coat builds up and doesnt allow the bolts thru
yeah I got the kit and everything I'm just waiting..............and waiting...............and waiting on the brake lines I really think 13 days is enough time to get them here!!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 AM

PDM's located in Canada which means the package has to go through customs.......prolly take the better half of a month or so to get to you .
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 AM

yeah I just called them they gave me the tracking number it should be here tommorrow. now If I could just get my FMU, and BOV here! I'm not having good luck with anything this month! it's really pissing me off! my S/C install and BBK are all on hold until everything gets here.