4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WIERD BRAKE PROBLEM (not sure what it is)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:25 PM

WIERD BRAKE PROBLEM (not sure what it is)

Hello all and what's good..

I had recently changed brakes on my 97 maxima, about 78K, auto. It has been about 2k - 3 k plus in mileage since. Here's my setup:

FRONT - centric blanks
REAR - brembo blanks
PADS - pbr/axiss Metal Masters

I had lubed all pins, shimmed everything. All parts were new. I really don't know what could be wrong other than perhaps the centric blanks in the front are crappy or maybe the SHIMS KIT was off or pins stuck.

My brake fluid is not burning so I don't think it's a sticky caliper, nor does the car feel wierd. However I am feeling a SLIGHT pull to the left, not sure if it's because something is up with brakes or if its the tire, alignment.

I tried listening to it and even telling my friend to pin point the sound, but not sure. I took the wheels off certain sides and looked and I dont' really see anything.

Should I just redo the FRONT? But I spent $$$$ on it already.

SITUATION 1:
I notice this problem whenever I reverse (hot/cold) my brakes will have that 'rubbing' LOUND vibration sound as if it couldn't hold my rotors. This doesn't happen everytime but once in a while. THIS HAPPENS ONLY in reverse. This wierd sound has never happened while driving or braking forward.

SITUATION 2: (going forward)
Another odd thing I noticed is that once in a while coming to a slow slow under 5 MPH stop I sometimes hear my brakes (possibly front) brake unsmoothly and emit some wierd 'rubbing, unsmoothe sound'. Possibly grinding but not really a GRIND. It's as if the rotors were wet and it didn't hold.

Both these situations happen once in a while, but the reverse happens quite frequently. I know something is up but I do not know what it could be. Could it be my PADS ? or ROTORS ?

I'm not certain and I might just get brembo blanks, OEM nissan fronts and redo it. I really dunno what is wrong..

Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if it's coming from the rears, there's a TSB regarding sticking parking brakes causing groaning at low speeds. Of course theres a ton more possibilities.

Jae
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
VK56 Inside

Best thing to do is take everything back apart and go over it with a fine toothed comb. If its making noises then changes are there will be some sign of of the culprit.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Hmm.. I realy dunno what to look for, but any idea of where to start?

I've never had this problem before. This isn't the typical screeching brakes. I'm guessing it could be the crappy centric rotors or pbr pads that were chipped on the 'surface'..
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had the same problem your pads are loose i dont know how but they are thats causing the reverse and slow braking problem, took im to a mechanic he put some silicone, or some stuff, took it for a test drive and wooalaa, has somethin to do with the calipers wearing out dont remember, try this remove your tires front and back grave a pad and try to move it it should move just a little, if it moves alot then there you have it....
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had the same problem your pads are loose i dont know how but they are thats causing the reverse and slow braking problem, took im to a mechanic he put some silicone, or some stuff, took it for a test drive and wooalaa, has somethin to do with the calipers wearing out dont remember, try this remove your tires front and back grave a pad and try to move it it should move just a little, if it moves alot then there you have it....
Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 PM

I'll try take a look, but I still dunno what logic is behind it.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got that vibration/humming noise in my rear brakes. My parking brake also froze up so thats probably my problem. I got a wierd noise coming from the front too. Whenever I step on the brakes (usually when I brake hard), I get a creeking noise from the front left wheel. It sounds like it may be brake related cause it does it intermittently while braking and it's not constant. I thought it may be my bad axle but I replaced it and it still makes the noise.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:53 AM

I have the same exact problem, although I never replaced my rotors, I just replaced the pads. Now my rear pads will rub the rotors when I first start driving after the car has been in the rain, or when I'm lightly braking at slow speeds I'll hear a groaning/rubbing/vibration in the pedal everytime the wheel goes around. I figured the rotors are warped, and the brake shop told me they are at the minimum thickness and need to be replaced.

Considering you just changed yours I wouldn't think that would be the problem unless you did install the shims wrong and the pads have been rubbing causing the car to pull to the left. All the rubbing will heat up and warp a rotor pretty fast. So I think you have a warped rotor or two.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 PM

I will ck asap tomrow. or when i can. today it happened only once.. what a freak car
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

Bring the front rotors to your local Brake/Muffler store. Have them cut those rotors, sounds like warped rotors. Some aftermarket parts are not up to OEM specs or have bad quality control and tend not to fit right.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:48 AM

Still haven't seemed able to pinpoint the vibration and rotor.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trajiksmax
Bring the front rotors to your local Brake/Muffler store. Have them cut those rotors, sounds like warped rotors. Some aftermarket parts are not up to OEM specs or have bad quality control and tend not to fit right.

My rotors are new though. I rather use the money to buy new ones again and just redo. The rears on my car are brembos. The pads are PBR, AXISS MMs.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by FishyMan
Still haven't seemed able to pinpoint the vibration and rotor.
If you really don't think they are warped, and don't know what it is. Then you should just bring it in someplace that will give you a free estimate of what is wrong. There are a few places like that, Merlin's Muffler is one - but I don't know what is in your area.