4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Damn Fuel Filter!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 08:35 PM

I thought that I was just going to do a quick fuel filter change....WRONG! I've read the FAQs on the net, read some threads on this site...I figured that I was ready. NOT!

It took me almost two fricken' hours to change this damned thing. I followed the directions on another website, which told me to undo the hoses at the fuel intake on top and by the evap. canister on the bottom. It came off pretty easily, but getting the bottom hose back on the pipe was pure torture. The evap. canister is right smack in the way. Even my small Jap hands couldn't get in there to push the biatch back on!

IF I ever do this again, I will do some things different.
I would undo the top hose at the fuel inlet at the manifold.
However, I would then unclip the fuel filter from the clip on the firewall, push it aside, then take the 2 10mm bolts out of the clip and remove it from the firewall. This should allow just enough room for one to maneuver the fuel filter so that one can get to the bottom clamp on the FF.
(Or maybe I'll just pay Bubba down the street to do this for me...life is too short for this F'n job)

Just my 2 cents worth....I'll get my Jap *** off the soap box now.
Old 10-16-2000, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE:TIP

Originally posted by Mad Jap
I thought that I was just going to do a quick fuel filter change....WRONG! I've read the FAQs on the net, read some threads on this site...I figured that I was ready. NOT!

It took me almost two fricken' hours to change this damned thing. I followed the directions on another website, which told me to undo the hoses at the fuel intake on top and by the evap. canister on the bottom. It came off pretty easily, but getting the bottom hose back on the pipe was pure torture. The evap. canister is right smack in the way. Even my small Jap hands couldn't get in there to push the biatch back on!

IF I ever do this again, I will do some things different.
I would undo the top hose at the fuel inlet at the manifold.
However, I would then unclip the fuel filter from the clip on the firewall, push it aside, then take the 2 10mm bolts out of the clip and remove it from the firewall. This should allow just enough room for one to maneuver the fuel filter so that one can get to the bottom clamp on the FF.
(Or maybe I'll just pay Bubba down the street to do this for me...life is too short for this F'n job)

Just my 2 cents worth....I'll get my Jap *** off the soap box now.

Thats funny it only took me 15 minutes and no cuts either.I thought it was pretty good for my first try.Hears a good tip of getting the bottom hose back on is to spit on your finger and rub it around the inside of the hose then it will slide on with ease.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:03 AM

Re: RE:TIP

... Thats funny it only took me 15 minutes and no cuts either. ...
Maximas with ABS have some brake plumbing in the vicinity of the fuel filter, making it more difficult to see and reach. Perhaps Mad Jap has ABS and you don't. Of course, manual dexterity varies from person to person. That's why some of us make few keying errors while others m3ke l9ts of m9stakks.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:17 AM

true

mine took me 1 hour to change..
but if i were to do it again it'd take me 10 min..

I wouldn't have it any other way tho .. i love workin on my car..
Don't stress it Mad Jap .. thanx for the info..

Ant
Old 10-17-2000, 08:38 AM

Re: true

Originally posted by Ant95se
... i love workin on my car..
Some Maxima owners just enjoy driving and prefer to have service done by professionals. That's fine.

Some other Maxima owners (including you and me) like to do our own "wrenching". This gives an added dimension to the automotive hobby. The owner who does his own service
- saves money
- learns more about how his car works
- takes pride in self-reliance
- avoids that nasty suspicion of being ripped off
Old 10-17-2000, 09:00 AM

Re: ABS

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
... Thats funny it only took me 15 minutes and no cuts either. ...
Maximas with ABS have some brake plumbing in the vicinity of the fuel filter, making it more difficult to see and reach. Perhaps Mad Jap has ABS and you don't. Of course, manual dexterity varies from person to person. That's why some of us make few keying errors while others m3ke l9ts of m9stakks.
I have every option which includes ABS so that's not the case,I also have a damn STB which get's in the way too.
Old 10-17-2000, 09:10 AM
Disco Biscuit

I must be one of the only ones that had no problems.

It was a 15 min job for me too. Guess I was fortunate.....
Old 10-17-2000, 09:27 AM

I think it took me like 45 mins to do mine. I wanted to take my time, so I didn't mess anything.