4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

couple questions about FSTB / RSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM

couple questions about FSTB / RSB

After putting on a y-pipe I want to do more mods that provide a good bang for the buck. Doing some research I think that a strut bar and rear sway bar would be a good idea but I have a couple of questions.

What difference does rubber, polyurethane, and polygraphite bushings make?

Would having a front sway bar + rear sway bar benefit more than just a rear-sway bar?
I found this kit http://www.drivewire.com/performance...aybarkits.html
that i think comes with front and rear. Should I get the progress sway bar instead?

Also I've read about the front strut bar not clearing something in the engine bay.
Would the custom enterprise strut bar have this problem? or would you recommend a different one?

Also those of you that dealt with custom enterprise, do they ship fast and have good customer service?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I support for what?

Well a front swy bar come stock on all maximas. What size it is I dont know.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:08 PM

The strut bar should fit, it's something with 99s don't worry about it. It doesn't really help, but it's cheap and it looks good. If you want, get it.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Alright I guess I'll go with the progress one then. Does the strut bar really do nothing? I mean i'm not looking to imrove handling with it. I'm just trying to make the car feel better going over bumps and on the highway. It feels like the car yaws a little over bumps and I've gotten my wheels balanced and aligned.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by gx2nds4
Alright I guess I'll go with the progress one then. Does the strut bar really do nothing? I mean i'm not looking to imrove handling with it. I'm just trying to make the car feel better going over bumps and on the highway. It feels like the car yaws a little over bumps and I've gotten my wheels balanced and aligned.
Well at least for me it didn't do anything. I think it actually works on a lowered car.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Strut bar does SOMETHING ... it just not very noticable. I like it for placebo effect and engine dresser . Please read up on RSB. Some people love it and others are dead scared about it.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
SHIFT_up

Well the rear sway bar is a very good thing, unless u don't know how to drive or you get lost in crazy situations. With the rsb the rear of the car tends to have a mind of it's own sometimes but it's pretty simple to control once you know what your doing. I've lost it once and that's about it. The fstb is pure crap, does nothing what so ever...i have never heard of a problem with the 99's and the fstb. Ebay 20 bucks and your set. As for the rsb, Cattman is having a nice sale on it so check the group deals. Good Luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 PM

well i do know the RSB is supposed to be one of the most effective handling mods, and I have heard that the car does get tail happy at the limits but I'd much rather have oversteer than understeer.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 PM

Wow, so the RSB can be dangerous to some and the FSTB does pretty much nothing? So would the only decent suspension mods be to upgrade the struts and springs?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by supaneko
Wow, so the RSB can be dangerous to some and the FSTB does pretty much nothing? So would the only decent suspension mods be to upgrade the struts and springs?
only dangerous to those who dont know how to drive their cars to the limits.... to racing on a track to learn what your car can really do....and what happens if you push alittle to hard. if your tails not out to far and you feel it start to drift, you can give the car alittle more gas and it can pull you out of a spin. And thats very very general...you need seat time to learn these limits, but its all in driver ability. Any mod you do is going to have some affect somewhere. A strut bar is supposed to strengthen how the car "flexes".....now as to if this is something that you can feel or if its something that on the track will shave a half a second or more off...thats a whole nother conversation. A sway bar directly affects the handeling of the car, as far as the actual moving parts of the suspension, so its affects you will feel much more.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
only dangerous to those who dont know how to drive their cars to the limits.... to racing on a track to learn what your car can really do....and what happens if you push alittle to hard. if your tails not out to far and you feel it start to drift, you can give the car alittle more gas and it can pull you out of a spin. And thats very very general...you need seat time to learn these limits, but its all in driver ability. Any mod you do is going to have some affect somewhere. A strut bar is supposed to strengthen how the car "flexes".....now as to if this is something that you can feel or if its something that on the track will shave a half a second or more off...thats a whole nother conversation. A sway bar directly affects the handeling of the car, as far as the actual moving parts of the suspension, so its affects you will feel much more.
Well i dont have the money nor could I track this car. I dont want to put excessive wear and tear on tires brakes and transmission. The sway bar should make a noticeable difference during spirited driving on winding mountain roads though right? I'm going to get the strut bar regardless of people saying there is "no effect". Anything that strengthens chassis rigidity is well worth it.

edit: also is the RSB easy to install? Would I be able to install it by driving it on ramps or would i need to put it on jackstands and pull off the wheels?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by gx2nds4
Well i dont have the money nor could I track this car. I dont want to put excessive wear and tear on tires brakes and transmission. The sway bar should make a noticeable difference during spirited driving on winding mountain roads though right? I'm going to get the strut bar regardless of people saying there is "no effect". Anything that strengthens chassis rigidity is well worth it.

edit: also is the RSB easy to install? Would I be able to install it by driving it on ramps or would i need to put it on jackstands and pull off the wheels?
yup, in every searched post on a RSB everyone has loved them....and thats why mine is on order. There is a GB on them with a great price on shipping right now.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
yup, in every searched post on a RSB everyone has loved them....and thats why mine is on order. There is a GB on them with a great price on shipping right now.
it's 154 shipped in the GB and only 139 on cattman or customenterprise. I'm getting my strut bar from customenterprise so I might as well not deal with the group deal unless i'm looking at the wrong one.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM
SHIFT_up

^GL waiting for it for atleast a month. Cattman will have it at your door step in 3 days!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
^GL waiting for it for atleast a month. Cattman will have it at your door step in 3 days!
If there is no difference in strut bars and performance I may order the sway bar from cattman and get a strut bar from ebay.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
The fstb is pure crap, does nothing what so ever...
I beg to differ. I used to think this way as well so I removed my FSTB for a couple of months. I recently reinstalled it and the car feels much more together. The biggest difference is that there is far less body roll during cornering. Try it for yourself, you might be surprised because I definately was.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
I beg to differ. I used to think this way as well so I removed my FSTB for a couple of months. I recently reinstalled it and the car feels much more together. The biggest difference is that there is far less body roll during cornering. Try it for yourself, you might be surprised because I definately was.
any FSB should give the same performance right? a cattman or customenterprise wouldn't benefit more than a 20 dollar ebay one right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...40326212QQrdZ1
Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

Originally Posted by ewuzh

What FSTB are you using ??
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM

which FSBs do you guys recommend?