4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima R34 Type Dual Reflector Headlights INSTALLED

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
The Golden One

Me too! Man those things look good.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Karim
You can't beat dual reflectors. The R34s win. And the 'true JM' equivalents don't even fit in our cars. Equivalent my a'ss. The R34s are the answer all 4th genners have been looking for as far as headlamp options go. Finally the aftermarket is opening up just a lil bit.
Dual reflectors that actually work, yes, these things are total crap IMO.. I mean that beam pattern isn't just so so, it's terrible and aiming the damn things isn't gonna fix that. Now with a retrofit I'm with ya all the way bro. It'll be a unique thing and probably look great AE, other than that I'll stay to stock and Cefiro.

If these had the angle output and such similiar to real R34 dual refl. heads then I would be jumping up and down not disagreeing with anyone..

I don't plan on a retrofit though, so that why these aren't me per say.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

well here is his answer to the idea of producing projectors

Dear buyer,

We have already listed everything we have in stock on ebay. Please check back in our store on ebay soon if you can¡¦t find the item that you are looking for right now. You may be able to find it there later because we update our ebay listings very often.

Thanks for your interest.
Motorsporthouse
i just dont think he gets it, LOL......
Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Karim
Glaring all over the damn place...Not a smart move.
Dont hate on the glare.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
well here is his answer to the idea of producing projectors

i just dont think he gets it, LOL......
Originally Posted by nismology
If they came with projectors they'd likely be crappy halogen-style projectors like the 5th gen Ebay lights that you'd wanna rip out anyway if you wanted serious HID output. These are fine.
10frijoles
Old 11-16-2006, 03:15 AM

hey ewuhz, what's the name of the seller you bought it from ebay? i don't know if the GD is still gonna come through no response from seller. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 AM

I can't argue that those are definately the best one piece headlights I've seen for the 4th Gen, I think it beats out the cefiros too just because u don't have to worry about fitment, and besides, output can be easily fixed.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 AM

acekogyo was the seller.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 AM

is it possible to get some night shots from inside to car so we can see how bright it would look if u were in the driver side position?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM
no more maxima...

ewuzh, can you please take more pics using a real digi cam? Camera Phones FTMFL.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
ewuzh, can you please take more pics using a real digi cam? Camera Phones FTMFL.
I can't!!! I sold my old camera and my new camera was refunded due to it being broken. Believe me I would take some GOOD pictures if I could.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by Mymax97
i made a post in the 4th gen forum for the GD interested, $160 + shipping. So add name to the list and we will get this deal if 10 people commit.

Uh.... link please??
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

Eric. A few questions please. You might have answered this already but I didn't see it. Is there any (permanant) modification at all needed to the car itself? Can you please take a picture of the lights during the day, hood closed, headlights turned off? How hard are these things to take in and out? I sometimes take off just my right corner light on track nights and sometimes even my right headlight. Silly question and I doubt you know this but how does the weight compare to the stock lights? Thanks. Good job.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Eric. A few questions please. You might have answered this already but I didn't see it. Is there any (permanant) modification at all needed to the car itself? Can you please take a picture of the lights during the day, hood closed, headlights turned off? How hard are these things to take in and out? I sometimes take off just my right corner light on track nights and sometimes even my right headlight. Silly question and I doubt you know this but how does the weight compare to the stock lights? Thanks. Good job.
Absolutely 100% Zero modification needed. It comes with a bracket that bolts on to the existing stock bracket to change the mounting point. They are very easy to take out. 2 bolts and 1 screw and they are out.

heh, always tryin to shave a few pounds wherever you can huh Josh. They're about the same...I didn't notice either one being noticibly heavier or lighter.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Uh.... link please??
its in the 4th gen section look for GD maxima 1pc headlights i think is the title. $192 shipped.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Donating i30 Owner

.. i just wanted to say i hate all of you......
only becuase i wanted to buy dual beam lights to retro instead of making.. but oh well thats my luck

Does the Low beam stay on with the highbeam?
If not I make harnesses that
keeps the lowbeam on with the highbeam.... i sell em for 30$ shipped.
all you gotta do is connect them to the battery and bulbs and one socket
from the headlight. there wireloomed in black... so there not an eye sore..
PM me ill be taking pics to show..
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Han

Bulbzilla Mod to the lowbeam...

I also have a modified 03 3rd Gen Dodge Ram turbo diesel that my wife drives (I hate minivans) and I run this "fogzilla" mod on my truck. With this adaptor you could run 9005 bulb in the low beam slot so you could have maximum output for both high and low beam...Since the R34s come with a 9006 low beam bulb why not run a 9005 instead for 70% more light? I'm going to try it...Beta test!

BACKGROUND Info from http://www.thebritebox.com:
Sylvania’s data lists the output of a 9006 bulb at 1,000 lumens of light. In the same data sheet, Sylvania shows a 9005 bulb puts out 1,700 lumens of light. Changing out both bulbs, would increase light output by 1,400 lumens - a improvement of 70%! The 9006 is typically used as a low beam bulb, while the 9005 is typically used as a high beam bulb. However, in many applications, both GM and Ford use the 9005 as a low beam bulb.

http://www.thebritebox.com/bulbzilla.fogzilla.mod.html

Anyway it's 12:30am and I just helped a local buddy change out a leaky axle seal on his 97 Max so I'm now going to install my chrome R34s tonight, run them all weekend as I'm driving to Seattle tomorrow and hi-jack my Fogzilla mod off my Dodge truck and run 9005 Silverstars...My Max is the dark green color so this will be a good contrasting visual and I'll be running Sylverstars vs. whatever cheap bulps these lights come with.

I have a high res digital so I'll take numerous hi-res shots...OK it's off to the garage...I'm taking one for the team tonight and will get these mounted.

What does everyone think of the 9005 low-beam Bulbzilla mod...? A quick way to get better light out of these R34 lights...This just popped into my head tonight when I was re-reading this thread.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:40 AM

Sounds like a really good mod to do.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Han
I also have a modified 03 3rd Gen Dodge Ram turbo diesel that my wife drives (I hate minivans) and I run this "fogzilla" mod on my truck. With this adaptor you could run 9005 bulb in the low beam slot so you could have maximum output for both high and low beam...Since the R34s come with a 9006 low beam bulb why not run a 9005 instead for 70% more light? I'm going to try it...Beta test!

BACKGROUND Info from http://www.thebritebox.com:
Sylvania’s data lists the output of a 9006 bulb at 1,000 lumens of light. In the same data sheet, Sylvania shows a 9005 bulb puts out 1,700 lumens of light. Changing out both bulbs, would increase light output by 1,400 lumens - a improvement of 70%! The 9006 is typically used as a low beam bulb, while the 9005 is typically used as a high beam bulb. However, in many applications, both GM and Ford use the 9005 as a low beam bulb.

http://www.thebritebox.com/bulbzilla.fogzilla.mod.html

Anyway it's 12:30am and I just helped a local buddy change out a leaky axle seal on his 97 Max so I'm now going to install my chrome R34s tonight, run them all weekend as I'm driving to Seattle tomorrow and hi-jack my Fogzilla mod off my Dodge truck and run 9005 Silverstars...My Max is the dark green color so this will be a good contrasting visual and I'll be running Sylverstars vs. whatever cheap bulps these lights come with.

I have a high res digital so I'll take numerous hi-res shots...OK it's off to the garage...I'm taking one for the team tonight and will get these mounted.

What does everyone think of the 9005 low-beam Bulbzilla mod...? A quick way to get better light out of these R34 lights...This just popped into my head tonight when I was re-reading this thread.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi

thats fine.. Test it out and let us know how it is. Im sure all of us getting these headlights will probally want to do this.

Also about high and low on at the same time id probally be interested in this if it would work out with how these headlights are set up.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi

also how much is the Bulbzilla Mod? I couldnt seem to find where to purchase these on that link.

HomerMAC: you might want to consider having a group deal for thoes harnesses. I dont know how much it would cost but this combined with the bulbzilla mod would be insane light
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 AM

also how much is the Bulbzilla Mod? I couldnt seem to find where to purchase these on that link.

HomerMAC: you might want to consider having a group deal for thoes harnesses. I dont know how much it would cost but this combined with the bulbzilla mod would be insane light
I would like a harness for the high/low beam problem, but a GD price would be nice.

I did the "bulbzilla" mod on my previous car, an acura integra. All you need to do is buy a 9005 bulb, trim the guide tab along the edge, and cut away the tab inside the bulb housing. It plugs right in. You don't need their funny adapter harness listed on the website. And it is true about the light output being much much better. There was so much more light on the ground with the 9006->9005 low beam mod.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Han

I think the Bulbzilla is around $20 plus shipping but that was two years ago...(You still need to go buy your 9005 Silverstars/PIAA etc separatly)

They don't seem to have an online store so people will just need to call and order or setup a group deal. The owner has been doing light modifications for over 20 years and is very knowledgable.

They're a small company in Steamboat, CO but they make all their own electronics in-house. As far as running the high and low together...We'd have to ask if one of their truck Brite-Boxes would work with the Maxima as running both 9005 together requires a 'brite box' type relay system to control the power to the lights...If you just wired the high beam to run both low/high the stock harness would melt or something would get overloaded.

I would think that since these R34 lights are letting us use a different bulb that that opens up the options for running a britebox, HID, etc...the 9005 bulb alone is awesome enough.

I know that on my Dodge running the brite box it's amazing to hit the highbeams and run all three lights at once...high/low/fog...It's like Super High-Beam!

The Main company an contact info...

Baker Auto Accessories

Physical Address:
2955 Village Drive #5
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 880707
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488

Phone: (970) 879-4201
Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Han

Originally Posted by ewuzh
I would like a harness for the high/low beam problem, but a GD price would be nice.

I did the "bulbzilla" mod on my previous car, an acura integra. All you need to do is buy a 9005 bulb, trim the guide tab along the edge, and cut away the tab inside the bulb housing. It plugs right in. You don't need their funny adapter harness listed on the website. And it is true about the light output being much much better. There was so much more light on the ground with the 9006->9005 low beam mod.
I think the idea of the harness is so you can revert back to the stock/OEM 9006 bulb if you needed too...Since you're not modifying the light housing to work with a 9005. i.e. Bulb goes out and you need to revert back to stock while on the road, etc.

Also it's important to get the larger o-ring for a good seal...I'm not sure what size but the two that are included with the bulbzilla harness kit are a perfect fit. I remember it took Baker Auto Accesories a fair amount of time to find the perfect O-Ring for the 9005 to seal against a 9006 housing.

If you want to always use 9005 then for sure save $25 and MacGyver the R34 low beam...I think this will be a great low-buck mod for the R34s.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Han

I know that on my Dodge running the brite box it's amazing to hit the highbeams and run all three lights at once...high/low/fog...It's like Super High-Beam!
I know what your saying. I had the fogs on my '03 max rewired so they would stay on when i put the highbeams (n the lowsstay on with the highbeams on the '03) Very bright. Especially cause i had 6,000k in the high beams low beams n Fogs.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi

well they look sick. Cant wait to get mine. I was wondering if there was any way that you could take a picture of the back of the passanger side headlight so i could see how the space is with the charger pipe. My piping keeps hitting the harness and melts it so im hoping these will help that alot. Also cant wait for the HIDs to be in there they should look sick!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:12 AM

i cant wait to see you replace the bulbs with silverstars.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Ichiban King

I cant believe I'm gonna say this, but head on they look pretty sick.. I'm still down with OE if not retrofitting though.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Han
I think the idea of the harness is so you can revert back to the stock/OEM 9006 bulb if you needed too...Since you're not modifying the light housing to work with a 9005. i.e. Bulb goes out and you need to revert back to stock while on the road, etc.

Also it's important to get the larger o-ring for a good seal...I'm not sure what size but the two that are included with the bulbzilla harness kit are a perfect fit. I remember it took Baker Auto Accesories a fair amount of time to find the perfect O-Ring for the 9005 to seal against a 9006 housing.

If you want to always use 9005 then for sure save $25 and MacGyver the R34 low beam...I think this will be a great low-buck mod for the R34s.
You can always go back to the stock 9006 bulb. The modification is done the the 9005 bulb ONLY. On the 9005, the outer tab is trimmed, and the tab inside the plug is cut away. The O-ring thing, all you need to do is remove the O-ring from the 9006 bulb and put it on the 9005 bulb. You want two O-rings on the 9005 bulb.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:43 PM

any beam pattern shots? i love the way the look on the car. i wanna see them beam patterns
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 AM

Saw this on the other .org, not sure if you guys had seen the black housing on a black car.
originally posted by: KorMax97

Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by paul5:14
Saw this on the other .org, not sure if you guys had seen the black housing on a black car.
DAYUM!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
any beam pattern shots? i love the way the look on the car. i wanna see them beam patterns
its on the first page of this very thread.

Originally Posted by paul5:14
there is a thread on this very forums with those pics etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Han

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Tonight I'll take some shots after I modify my low beam Silverstar 9005 bulb. I put a Silverstar 9005 in the passenger side high beam last night and drove in this morning 2-hours highway w/ dense fog.

On low both lights have this weird 45 degree "laser" beam of light that shoots off to the drivers side @ a 10 o'clock angle...With the fog it was really noticable. I wish I had my digital but I didn't.

I cranked the single POS adjustment all the way counter-clockwise just to get the beams off the bumper...literally these things really point down and with my lowered car its nuts. I like the high-beam pattern so far...but the low beam is lame. When you look at the lights they are bright as hell but the pattern is all over the place on low and they project a glob of light 10 feet off the bumper.

I'm not sure if these Chrome R34s have so much bling-bling that the beam pattern is shot to hell because of all the refraction...I'd like to see the Black AE version beam pattern myself because it looks like there is a ton of reflection going on with these units.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:29 AM

Am I just confused?? I thought that 4th gens run 9004 bulbs?? Why is the discussion of going from 9006 to 9005?? Do the R34 lights come with 9006 sockets?....but then how can you connect them to the OEM plug if its 9004?? Call me a dumm#...just trying to understand.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Han

Originally Posted by Capital15
Am I just confused?? I thought that 4th gens run 9004 bulbs?? Why is the discussion of going from 9006 to 9005?? Do the R34 lights come with 9006 sockets?....but then how can you connect them to the OEM plug if its 9004?? Call me a dumm#...just trying to understand.
YES...The R34 come with a 9006 low beam and 9005 highbeam w/ a simple split harness to plug into our stock hook up...plug and play.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 AM

has anyone thought of using an HIR bulb instead of standard 9006-5 bulb?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Han

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
has anyone thought of using an HIR bulb instead of standard 9006-5 bulb?
$115 a pair...Someone else can try that. I've never seen these in person but I'd like to see how they compare to Silverstars.

http://www.offroadtuff.com/IPFbulbs.htm
Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Ohhh...got it...thanks Han.

Quick Reply: Maxima R34 Type Dual Reflector Headlights INSTALLED