4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!!! fan speed control switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help!!! fan speed control switch

Help my fan control speed switch stopped working. happened last weekend when driving back to school. It is either off or full blast all of the middle speeds work as vents and will let air through as I drive but no fan blowing the air through. I stopped by the nearest nissan dealer and they told me it wasn't the switch but a resistor somewhere behind the dash and the part costs $50 so im assuming labor would be up there also. So has this happened to anyone else and if so did any one do it themselves, if so could you tell me where the resistor is and how i should try to get to it. I haven't checked fuses yet due to rain since sunday I will try to check those although I dont beleive thats the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. .... I also failed an inspecion on monday due to a CEL being on I have a print out of the codes that through it I think they were all Evap and one o2 heater any ideas how much it would cost to get these fixed
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM

I had the same problem and it was the resistor. I had it changed for 30 bucks. The place that did it does stereos, alarms, and some other stuff. I have no idea how to change it, but maybe check out the Haynes Manual it probably has some info.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 PM

what type of stereo shop did you go to and was that 30 for the part and the labor or was it just labor if i can go to a stereo shop and have them do it ill be all set and probably save a lot of money as compared to going through the stealership
Old 11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

The heater blower resistor is directly behind the glovebox. Drop the glovebox from the dash, then youll see the heater box assy. Right there, youll see 2 bolts holding in a rectangular piece. Thats it. Remove the bolts, pull it out, put the new one in. Easy cheesey.. will take you longer pulling the glovebox, but even that is pretty simple..

Let me know what codes you have.. usually either o2 sensors or evap valves.. either way I may have you covered. and Im pretty local! PM me.
DJ
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by massfastmax
what type of stereo shop did you go to and was that 30 for the part and the labor or was it just labor if i can go to a stereo shop and have them do it ill be all set and probably save a lot of money as compared to going through the stealership
the guy knows my family, I guess he knew the problem because he works on car air conditioners and I had my problem in the summer. I doubt all stero shops do it though, this guy just happens to do a few things.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:02 AM

thanks everyone and I'll find the codes out today when i get back from class. dj thankyou for the location and ill get back to you with the codes i think they were evap valves and something to do with an o2 sensor im just not 100% sure what exactly. I get out of class around noon but maybe earlier so I willl have more info around then.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

You got it bro.. if you run into any problem pulling codes, let me know. Can get that done for you..
DJ
Old 11-16-2006, 05:00 PM

OK so i went out and checked the ecu codes from the paperwork the insepection station gave me. they are P0100 , P0325 , PO450 , P0141 , and P0446 i checked them on the sticky and they translate to codes 0102 , 0304 , 0704 , 0902 , 0903 (in the same order as above). I looked at the stickies and read up on how to check them but how hard will it be to fix all and get cleared would I be able to do all in one day or would it take longer. Or would it be worth it to go to a shop and just pay them to fix it.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:12 PM

0102 - is a Mass air flow sensor i probably just have to mount it better to my injen cold air intake i think i can do that one.

0304 - is a knock sensor this probably has to be replaced due to highflow y pipe cat and full exhaust except headers

0704 - EVAP control system pressure sensor this I am lost on and would need someone to lend some advice or a hand.

0902 - Diagnostic Trouble Code 0902 points to a problem with the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater.
The malfunction is detected when the current in the Oxygen Sensor heater circuit is out of the normal range.
Possible causes include ...
- the electrical harnesses
- the connector
- the Oxygen Sensor heaters

You may test the heater with an ohmmeter. This test is done with the engine off.

0903 - EVAP Canister vent control valve this one I am also lost on and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I have no idea about what to do on the o2 sensor problems or how expensive any of this is going to be and the resistor I have to replace does anyone know what size or type resistor it would be so I dont have to pay the $50 to get it from nissan, or do I have to get it through them.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:52 AM

bump to the top for some more help
Old 11-17-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJ42o96maX
The heater blower resistor is directly behind the glovebox. Drop the glovebox from the dash, then youll see the heater box assy. Right there, youll see 2 bolts holding in a rectangular piece. Thats it. Remove the bolts, pull it out, put the new one in. Easy cheesey.. will take you longer pulling the glovebox, but even that is pretty simple..

Let me know what codes you have.. usually either o2 sensors or evap valves.. either way I may have you covered. and Im pretty local! PM me.
DJ
when i did mine i don't recall on having to remove the glovebox. You might want to check on that, because I dont see a need too, unless a 98 design is diffirent from a 97.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Tighten yer mass air flow..

Knock sensor WILL be set off by EVAP as well as O2 codes. Fix those first.

Replace yer rear O2 sensor. If you need one, I have one brand new in package, OEM Nissan. $80 SHIPPED. It lists for $147, and while aftermarket is available, I never recommend it.

Replace yer Canister Vent Valve (located on the canister, behind the rear driver side wheel). When this is bad, it can affect the system pressure, CAUSING the system pressure sensor code. Fix THIS ONE FIRST. If you need one, I have one.. brand new in the box, OEM Nissan, $70 SHIPPED. This lists for over $110 at the dealer, and is a dealer only part.

The resistor is a DEALER PART. Get it there, its quite inexpensive! $20ish

After doing the above, flash ECU to clear codes. Drive and see if any codes come back.. you should be good to go. Let me know if you need either of those thing.. paypal ready.
DJ
Old 11-18-2006, 08:25 AM

no no no you do not have to drop the glove box. its mounted by two screws by the passanger footwell, near the door.

sorry for the crappy pic, but pull out the cable and the screw on the top, then there is one on the bottom. voila, 30 second job
Old 11-19-2006, 10:13 AM

thanks everyonw and hopefully i can get this done over thanksgiving break dj I might try to get in touch with you and then maybe buy some of those parts. Ill be in touch and hopefully have my max back to perfect in no time
Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 PM

ok so I went to a junkyard to try to get the resistor thing that I need and found 2 out of all the maxs that were there came back to school and tried tochange it. getting to it and changing it was no problem but neither of them fixed it. so im guessing that either both of the resistors from the junkyard were bad or it must be something else. Does any one know how to tell if the resistor is good and if not a dealership in southeastern ma that would sell the resistor for cheap cause the dealer near my school said it was like $50 and I think thats way to much especially seeing that someone said it was close to 20 and dj I am gonna have to call you or get back to you because if you still have those parts i think im gonna buy them off you, thanks all for the help and hopefully i can fix my car over this next week
Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 PM

ok well I finaaly broke down and went to the stealership and got the resistor it took maybe 5 minutes to swap out the old burnt out one and put the new one in. one thing I noticed was the fact that the resistor i bought was much smaller than the one that im throwing out but they said it was the right part and my fans are back to working now i can comfortably heat my car instead of cooking it.now to tackle the other problems and hopefully pickup the parts from dj
Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 PM

OK I havent been able to do much of aything because of school and low money. I still have all the code problems and just started noticing my car shaking really rough when i accelerate from 55- 70 then it kind of goes away but not completelywhat could this be and does anyone know a respectable shop around the fall river new bedford Mass area that could help do some work on my codes any help is appreciated
Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Check your tires possibly, maybe a buldge or out of balance.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:21 PM

thats what i thought but why would it only happen at those speeds then kind of go away? I'll check them tomorrow but i dont think thats what it isI do believe one of my front rotors may be a little warped but that still doesn't make sense that it gets really bad all of a sudden at 55-60ish
Old 12-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i dont mean to hijak the thread, but i have a heater problem as well, and seeing how i cant make threads, this place looks the most appropriate.

my heater only comes on while im driving above a certain speed, when my car is standing still air flows out of my vents but its not warm, if i drive 30mph, it starts working and seems like its working 100% when im above 50mph. i have the auto-climate controls on a 1996 SE.

any help?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 AM

good luck I've heard about a lot of problems with auto climate but Im sure someone on here can help you everyone new exactly what my fan problem was
Old 12-04-2006, 10:00 AM

I have a question too. My fan controls only work from 2 - 4. 1 is dead. Has anyone had the same problem before? Is it a resistor problem or a switch problem?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you didn't have to buy one. the fusible link can be repaired with solder. it fixed mine a year ago.no problems since.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM

well would you like to tell us how exactly you repaired your resistor with solder cuz it didn't look like it would be fixable that way
Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

all about the resistors.... my buddy fixed it for me......

he said it depends on whats out.... my 2 and 3 were out.... costed me 20 bucks.