4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

shifter feels squishy/mushy after running at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Blown

shifter feels squishy/mushy after running at the track

I made two 1/4 mile passes today in my 95 maxima. When I was heading back to go home I realized that my shifter felt mushy when trying to put it in to gear. It was like it was pushing against something rubber to go into gear. It was not hard to get into gear but it feels more sloppy. what could cause this? did I tear a bushing somewhere? Anyone have experience with this? I do shift my car hard when I am at the track so i am assuming I tore something by shifting too hard. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:24 PM
SHIFT_up

I'm not to sure but it could possibly be your shifter bushing. Larrio is having a GD for a polyurethane one. Check it out.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
I'm not to sure but it could possibly be your shifter bushing. Larrio is having a GD for a polyurethane one. Check it out.
yeah, I know about his group deal...I just don't want to start throwing money at the car until I know what is the problem....its still driveable, it just does not have a nice firm feeling when shifting gears.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 PM

my syncros r pretty bad for 1st and 2nd on my tranny and sometime they feel mushy if they don't line up perfectly. It kinda feels more like the shift rod or somthing is flexing a little before is slips into gear.

If u've been running GL-5 tranny fluid or raped u'r tranny at the track then it could be the syncros, they are a pretty common tranny problem.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Boothhead
my syncros r pretty bad for 1st and 2nd on my tranny and sometime they feel mushy if they don't line up perfectly. It kinda feels more like the shift rod or somthing is flexing a little before is slips into gear.

If u've been running GL-5 tranny fluid or raped u'r tranny at the track then it could be the syncros, they are a pretty common tranny problem.
it feels like something is flexing before it goes into gear, but its every gear....I thought syncros usually went out in one gear or a few gears but not every gear?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:14 AM
No more Maximas...

Reverse doesn't have syncros, does it feel the same when going into reverse?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by pmohr
Reverse doesn't have syncros, does it feel the same when going into reverse?
yes, and reverse is actually the gear I noticed it in first when I was backing out of my pit area.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hate to say this... but you might have done more damage than you realize. If it is your shifter bushing, you are a lucky SOB, because if its anything else, you will need a new clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bushing. Take my advice or don't, a mishandled manual gearbox does not just get better on its own, it only gets worse.

P.S. - as for synchronizers, unless you are adept at working with gearbox internals and are doing the work yourself, its just going to be another necessary charge in supplement to what I previously mentioned. Make a note however, that a synchro is a 9 piece assembly and usually the dog teeth on the blocker rings are what go bad. Educate yourself so that you don't get taken. That is to say don't pay extra because the mechanic says he plain old "rebuilt" or "replaced" your synchro. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Maintenance Monster

9 piece synchro? What are you talking about?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:24 PM
SHIFT_up

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
9 piece synchro? What are you talking about?
If anyone here know's about trannies it's dgeesaman.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Blown

I'll try to look at the bushing some time today.

So no one else has ever had this problem?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Maintenance Monster

There is nothing internal to the tranny that would create a slick, mushy feeling. I agree that looking at the linkage and shifter bushing is the right approach. Also make sure the support rod that runs alongside of the shifter rod is securely tightened to the tranny.

Well, I take that back. Actually if there was a problem with the shifter detentes it might produce those symptoms, but I think the bushing is a much more likely scenario. If you wanted to get detailed, detach the shift rod at the tranny and use a screwdriver to manually shift the tranny through the gears. If it doesn't move with a snug snap from neutral into a gear, then you may indeed have an internal issue.

Dave
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
There is nothing internal to the tranny that would create a slick, mushy feeling. I agree that looking at the linkage and shifter bushing is the right approach. Also make sure the support rod that runs alongside of the shifter rod is securely tightened to the tranny.

Well, I take that back. Actually if there was a problem with the shifter detentes it might produce those symptoms, but I think the bushing is a much more likely scenario. If you wanted to get detailed, detach the shift rod at the tranny and use a screwdriver to manually shift the tranny through the gears. If it doesn't move with a snug snap from neutral into a gear, then you may indeed have an internal issue.

Dave

I leave to go out of town tomorrow evening. I will try to take a look at things before I leave, and I will post back. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:43 AM
Blown

Ok, I finally had a chance to check this out yesterday. It turns out I was missing a bolt in my stabalizer bar (I think it is called something like this, its the bar right next to the shift linkage). I loosen this bolt when I drain my transmission fluid, I do this so that I can get a box ended wrench on the drain plug. I have not done this in a while but I am guessing I forgot to tighten it back, and banging gears at the track just finally worked it the rest of the way out. Anyway I have two fourth gens so I jacked up my 98 and pulled this bolt of out to figure out the size of the bolt. If anyone else ever needs to know this bolt size it's a 10x1.5 and it was 40mm long.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am glad things are back to feeling solid again.