4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Blu
the tits

4th gen transmission problem

This morning I was backing out of the driveway, usually I just roll down the driveway bc its sloped but I was too far up to get it rolling this morning. I put it in reverse and started to back out and then it grinded a little and popped out of gear. The car then proceeded to shut off and now the car is stuck in what it seems to be second gear but the car is swiveling freely like its still in neutral. Im lost at what this could be. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:36 AM
No more Maximas...

Have you checked your shift linkage? Are you able to shift through the gears with the car off?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Broken linkage maybe?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you checked your shift linkage? Are you able to shift through the gears with the car off?
No I cannot get it into any gear without maybe forcing it really hard with the car running or off.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Blu
the tits

so the first idea is the linkage, that gives me a starting point...
Old 11-22-2006, 04:46 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You may have a broken shift fork also..
Old 11-22-2006, 04:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check all your components of shifting...shift fork, shift linkage, master, slave. Could just be a popped bolt at your linkage.

Could be your clutch if its not letting you into gear. Are you hearing a grinding when you try to engage, or nothing there ?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Maintenance Monster

I agree with the others. Follow the shifter and see that it's still properly attached to the tranny.

If that all looks perfect, then very carefully remove the gear position sensor to drain the oil and have a peek inside. You may have something that broke and is blocking the shift mechanisms. You will get a peek at what's inside through the sensor hole and also be able to check for stuff in the oil.

Dave
Old 11-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by matty
Check all your components of shifting...shift fork, shift linkage, master, slave. Could just be a popped bolt at your linkage.

Could be your clutch if its not letting you into gear. Are you hearing a grinding when you try to engage, or nothing there ?
It don't think its a clutch problem. The shifter feels out of place of its usual location. Its still in what I think to be 2nd gear as thats what I drove around the block in but the shifter itself is still swiveling like its in neutral.

Thanks to everyone for some quick help although I won't be able to do anything with it as Im at work now.

Matt
Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by matty
shift fork
He'd have to crack the tranny open to check for that. Smaller things first..
Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 AM

BTW, you still have that 4th gen Blu?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by nismology
BTW, you still have that 4th gen Blu?
yes I do, its now my stock DD.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 AM
VQ Wizard

Yeah, he was surely able to disect his transmission in his driveway this morning in the freezing rain.

I am pretty sure now that the damage is internal, not at any external linkage.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 AM

I had a similar problem. I was in reverse trying to back into my driveway and the car started jerking realy bad then BANG. the wheels locked up and i couldnt get it into reverse without grinding. after a week or so the next thing i know when the car was in neutral it still tried moved forwards like if it was in 1st/2nd. But if i actually put it in 1 or 2 i wouldnt move like if i left the handbrake on, the car tried to but something prevented it. The tranny was toast, i didnt even bother ripping it apart because i knew it was a mess.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
I had a similar problem. I was in reverse trying to back into my driveway and the car started jerking realy bad then BANG. the wheels locked up and i couldnt get it into reverse without grinding. after a week or so the next thing i know when the car was in neutral it still tried moved forwards like if it was in 1st/2nd. But if i actually put it in 1 or 2 i wouldnt move like if i left the handbrake on, the car tried to but something prevented it. The tranny was toast, i didnt even bother ripping it apart because i knew it was a mess.
something on the shift rod broke, so it was left in gear. Then when you shifted into another gear you engaged two gears at once, which locks the gears from rotating entirely.

As long as you didn't hammer it hard, the expensive parts of the tranny could have been fine. Do you still have it?

Dave
Old 11-22-2006, 01:05 PM
aka UNCDooD

that exactly how my car was acting when i broke my 3-4 shift fork except the car was stuck in 3rd gear.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Jason R
that exactly how my car was acting when i broke my 3-4 shift fork except the car was stuck in 3rd gear.
well Im about sold on the fact that its a shift fork broken. I'll take a look at the linkage tomorrow to rule that out.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Any news on this? My buddy bought my maxima from me last week and it is now stuck in second but the shifter all over the place. Tried shifting out of reverse early in the morning backing out of his driveway. It was below 10 F degrees outside at the time. He removed the linkage at the back of the tranny and it still does the same thing when you try to shift it from the back of the tranny. So it is internal for sure. He drove it to town in second gear and the local mechanic will not touch foriegn vehicles "Western Kansas mechanic".

I am guessing a broken shift fork. I put new bearings and seals in it about 3 months ago. Ran great until now. I am going to rebuild it myself since I have done it before, and I feel bad after selling him my extremely reliable car the crapped out on him the third day he had it. Anyone know what parts I should order ahead of time so I can fix it this weekend?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Black_Max_SE
Any news on this? My buddy bought my maxima from me last week and it is now stuck in second but the shifter all over the place. Tried shifting out of reverse early in the morning backing out of his driveway. It was below 10 F degrees outside at the time. He removed the linkage at the back of the tranny and it still does the same thing when you try to shift it from the back of the tranny. So it is internal for sure. He drove it to town in second gear and the local mechanic will not touch foriegn vehicles "Western Kansas mechanic".

I am guessing a broken shift fork. I put new bearings and seals in it about 3 months ago. Ran great until now. I am going to rebuild it myself since I have done it before, and I feel bad after selling him my extremely reliable car the crapped out on him the third day he had it. Anyone know what parts I should order ahead of time so I can fix it this weekend?
the gears in the transmission seized IIRC and the tranny was replaced with a 00 tranny.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Before the gears seized, it still drove correct? Did the shift fork go out and then later seized the gears? This car still drives smoothly in 2nd. It is stuck in 2nd and will not go into any gear, no matter what I do. Like I said, the shifter acts like it is in a notchy neutral. Like one of three selectors is slightly off in the tranny.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Black_Max_SE
Before the gears seized, it still drove correct? Did the shift fork go out and then later seized the gears? This car still drives smoothly in 2nd. It is stuck in 2nd and will not go into any gear, no matter what I do. Like I said, the shifter acts like it is in a notchy neutral. Like one of three selectors is slightly off in the tranny.
nope it drove fine up until that one day, kind of just happened out of nowhere with no signs of failure before then.