4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stiff Power Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM

Stiff Power Steering?

Steering is stiff steering while the car is still and at idle. moves fine when RPM's are up or car is moving. Had it for a while and i am finally tired of it so i am about to do something about it. After researching, Seafoam Transtune seems to be the most recommended for flushing the power steering system. Anyone have these symptoms? Anyone else try something like this? I figure a flush is much cheaper than a new rack and/or pump.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the condition and tension of the power steering pump drive belt.
If it's glazed, replace it.
If it's lose, tighten it.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 PM

my power steering is horrible even when moving. it's not like there's no power steering occuring but it seems pretty hard to turn the wheel...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
Steering is stiff steering while the car is still and at idle. moves fine when RPM's are up or car is moving. Had it for a while and i am finally tired of it so i am about to do something about it. After researching, Seafoam Transtune seems to be the most recommended for flushing the power steering system. Anyone have these symptoms? Anyone else try something like this? I figure a flush is much cheaper than a new rack and/or pump.
this might sound stupid, but check your tire pressure
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 PM

Tires are fine and i didnt check the tension as it looks like a btch to adjust. I put some Auto-rx in it some miles back and checked teh fluid today. mmmmmm toasty. unfortunately i see metal filings floating around in there (prob loosened up by the Auto-RX). Plan is to flush fluid tonight sans Transtune and see if it helps. If not, i'll adjust the belt (although i get no squeal). if that doesn't work i should have arms like popeye come summertime because i have no plans on changing it anytime soon. Damned near impossible to get to. now to figure out which of the 2 is the return hose to the resevoir.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:49 PM

I have the very same problem on my 2K maxima and the steering is stiff -- done everything from injecting grease using grease needle into the ball joints and steering knukle rubber boots. Even tried using some conditioner for the PS pump if by chance the valve is stuck -- no luck. Sucks!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 PM

Update:

I used Auto-rx for about 500 miles. Nothing. Flushed out the old fluid. Nothing. Love_00 tried Transtune in the meantime and said it loosened his up. So i figured i would go with my original idea and give it a shot too. Emptied out the resevoir and poured a little more than half a can in. Nothing. Next day? It was WORSE (probably because it was damned cold outside). Then today i realized something out of the blue. I was 1-handing it while idling at a light!To my shock it worked. I'lllet it run for another week or so and flush and fill. hopefully it is a permanent (or at least long term) fix. I may be anti seafoam but they got my vote for the power steering application.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 PM

just so you know... it's normal for it to be a little harder to turn the wheel when stopped vs. moving (no forward motion to assist in steering)... and yes, when the rpms are up the PS pump can push the fluid faster... so unless you know for fact that it is harder to turn than it used to be I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my max is also hard to steer sometimes when its cold usually (odd times when its warm - but usually not). and ya not when its stopped tho it is even hardder when stopped than its suppose to be... at idle its hard as hell to turn.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
my max is also hard to steer sometimes when its cold usually (odd times when its warm - but usually not). and ya not when its stopped tho it is even hardder when stopped than its suppose to be... at idle its hard as hell to turn.
Try TransTune (at your own risk). Looked under my car today and realized that my rack (or one of the hoses) is leaking. My theory.... It was nice and gummy in there prior to the transtune (reason for dark fluid when i flushed the old fluid). As stated earlier i had a leak somewhere in the system. When i put the Lucas in it, it did what it was supposed to do (seal the leak). Problem is, it sealed the leak but left the gum. Then comes TransTune and cleans everything up (including the Lucas) hence the leak coming back but the gum is now gone so steering is looser. Started the car this morning and steering was stiff again (prob due to air in the system down there from the leak since the resevoir level is the same). After driving the car, steering is once again pretty loose. Now i have to either search for the leak or try the Lucas again hoping it stops the leak again.