4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe/new Cat Converter...before I install...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Y-Pipe/new Cat Converter...before I install...

I bought a Warpspeed Y-pipe and a Carsound catalytic converter off azmaxima99GLE from the classified section and it came today.

I looked at the gaskets and they look cheap, like a paper material. He recommended me getting new ones to avoid leaks so I'm thinking, not such a bad idea.

I'll soon find out myself but should I expect the bolts to be melted on the rear side of the old cat converter when I try to get it off? I've heard about the bolts being rusted/melted on the y->cat but since I'm replacing both of these, I wouldn't think the other side would be a problem, or?? Well, Ill find out.

Also, when installing the new gaskets, should I use some PERMATEX ULTRA COPPER High Temp RVT gasket maker in collaboration with the gaskets, just to insure no leaks or does that sound unnecessary?

And as far as the gaskets go, am I correct in this? 2 crush gaskets for Y-Pipe to headers - http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

and the other two gaskets on both sides of the catalytic converter, 1 to Y-Pipe and 1 to the B-Pipe? - http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

Was hoping for a little input on this, I've read a couple bad stories on y-pipe installs and would appreciate any advice I could get. Big ups to the .ORG and thnx in advance.
_JOEL
Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Still chugging along...

Yes, the gaskets you got with the Y are cheap ones and you should buy the OEM ones. Yes, those are the correct gaskets and the correct number that you will need. No, RTV is not necessary. Yes, you will most likely have to use a torch to get the bolts loose from the Y to the cat and from the cat to the B. Almost everyone does. Don't forget to get the nuts and bolts to replace the rusted out ones. Your only alternative that might work is a lot of PB blaster, some patience, and an air impact wrench. Have fun.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fok, sounds fun. Any better prices on gaskets?