4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WEIRD AUTO TRANNY PROBLEM. No Reverse, No Neutral. WTF? Help please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WEIRD AUTO TRANNY PROBLEM. No Reverse, No Neutral. WTF? Help please...

so I was out doing some donuts/burnouts last night in the rain to impress the g/f.

Was trying to do a burnout when I noticed the RPM's were higher than normal and the tires werent smoking. let off the gas and tried to pull away but the car revved like it was in neutral. pushed back on the gearshift a hair and it moved a bit, then the car pulled away like normal.

The next morning I go to leave my house and the car will not go into Reverse or Neutral. When in park, the car will rev like there's a load on the engine (not above 3K, like you had the car in drive with your foot on the brake trying to rev). Car does the same thing when the gearshift is in reverse. Neutral acts just like D. D acts like D. The tranny shifts like butter going down the road.

1997 GLE, 160K miles. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by HybriDSM
so I was out doing some donuts/burnouts last night in the rain to impress the g/f.

Any ideas?
prolly dropped the trans....

for doughnuts i would look into a 5.0 lol...

ps. i just blew mine in the blue max (below) i got drive , no reverse. and stuck in 3rd... mine just overheated and did it.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bobjohnson
prolly dropped the trans....

for doughnuts i would look into a 5.0 lol...

ps. i just blew mine in the blue max (below) i got drive , no reverse. and stuck in 3rd... mine just overheated and did it.
there was no tranny dropping involved, thanks... Some e-brake and she'll roast them off on dry roads no problem. I'm not some dumb kid that does this all the time, I was just bored, and it was raining and I wanted to show off in front of the g/f...
Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 AM
No more Maximas...

Clutches welded themselves together, just did the same thing to my 95 a month ago or so, had to remove an axle to push it around. Rebuild or new trans. I have pics of my welded direct clutches around here somewhere, replaced the trans then tore down the old one to check it out. 5000 RPM @ 10MPH ftl.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Da'Burgh, Go Stillers!

there was no tranny dropping involved, thanks... Some e-brake and she'll roast them off on dry roads no problem. I'm not some dumb kid that does this all the time, I was just bored, and it was raining and I wanted to show off in front of the g/f...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Clutches welded themselves together, just did the same thing to my 95 a month ago or so, had to remove an axle to push it around. Rebuild or new trans. I have pics of my welded direct clutches around here somewhere, replaced the trans then tore down the old one to check it out. 5000 RPM @ 10MPH ftl.
hmmm, thats not what I was hoping to hear.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mbandi
I'd be mad at you, if you weren't a Steeler fan. GO BLACK AND GOLD!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Da'Burgh, Go Stillers!

I'd be mad at you, if you weren't a Steeler fan. GO BLACK AND GOLD!!!
Nice! Sorry man, but it just doesn't pay to do stuff like that. It only costs you a lot of money. I look at the transmission threads because I used to rebuild them for a living. I was expecting something else besides an abuse issue.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mbandi
Nice! Sorry man, but it just doesn't pay to do stuff like that. It only costs you a lot of money. I look at the transmission threads because I used to rebuild them for a living. I was expecting something else besides an abuse issue.

eh, like I said I normally dont. I was actually in a really ****ty mood because of the Steelers loss to the Ravens. That and I figured in the rain there would be hardly any stress on the drivetrain, and I was only doing the "burnouts" for like 10 sec at a time at the most, and I only did it 2 times.

I've been WAY harder on tranny's before with no issues.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:19 AM

...... I'm not some dumb kid that does this all the time, I was just bored, and it was raining and I wanted to show off in front of the g/f...
but.......

so I was out doing some donuts/burnouts last night in the rain to impress the g/f.......
this is PRICELESS!!

somehow i think it should have read..
...... I'm just some dumb kid that does this all the time, I was just bored, and it was raining and I wanted to show off in front of the g/f...
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM

OMG I'm in tears. I think I laughed my spleen out. That was FUNNY AS HELL! LMMFAO!

I'm not laughing at what happened but merely, 2da_mizzax's humor. Undeniable!