4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SC idler pulley woes -->

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 10:00 AM
Matt_P

I actually have one of the last V1s, before stillen switched over to using the V2s. Overall, the supercharger itself is pretty quiet. However, the idler pulley is screeming(not like a belt squel, more like bearings) and not running efficent. Has anyone else had this problem? Was it covered via the SC warranty? Whats a good replacement pulley? I have to get this fixed asap because the belt is getting ready to go.

Also, don't go to Autogear. They suck. When I called them to have this fixed under warrant, they said they no longer support any supercharger kits!!!

Matt P.

Old 07-02-2001, 10:20 AM
JimW

You may want to shoot Jose a message-->

Originally posted by Matt_P
I actually have one of the last V1s, before stillen switched over to using the V2s. Overall, the supercharger itself is pretty quiet. However, the idler pulley is screeming(not like a belt squel, more like bearings) and not running efficent. Has anyone else had this problem? Was it covered via the SC warranty? Whats a good replacement pulley? I have to get this fixed asap because the belt is getting ready to go.

Also, don't go to Autogear. They suck. When I called them to have this fixed under warrant, they said they no longer support any supercharger kits!!!

Matt P.
He's had more than his share of supercharger experiences, he may be able to point you in the right direction.
How's it goin' Matt? Haven't heard/seen you in ages..

Old 07-02-2001, 10:52 AM
Matt_P

Re: You may want to shoot Jose a message-->

Hey Jim,

what's up.

I sent you a PM.

Matt

Originally posted by JimW

He's had more than his share of supercharger experiences, he may be able to point you in the right direction.
How's it goin' Matt? Haven't heard/seen you in ages..

Old 07-03-2001, 01:40 PM
Matt_P

New pulleys ordered -->

I ordered new pulleys from stillen. I asked Dean whether these were those cheap plastic ones that keep failing. He said these are some high tech spaceage polymer that is supposed to withstand much higher temperatures. I ordered both idler pulleys. Only one is bad. I just figured that I would replace both in one shot.

Is he bs'ing me? Can anyone confirm that they have replaced those problematic plastic ones? I do need to put these on quick though.

Matt P

Old 07-03-2001, 01:45 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: New pulleys ordered -->

Originally posted by Matt_P
I ordered new pulleys from stillen. I asked Dean whether these were those cheap plastic ones that keep failing. He said these are some high tech spaceage polymer that is supposed to withstand much higher temperatures. I ordered both idler pulleys. Only one is bad. I just figured that I would replace both in one shot.

Is he bs'ing me? Can anyone confirm that they have replaced those problematic plastic ones? I do need to put these on quick though.

Matt P

high-tech-space-age-polymer = cheap plastic

plain aluminum = durable pulley
Old 07-03-2001, 02:12 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Try and get in touch with phil... he went thru this ....
Old 10-04-2001, 10:04 AM

It's not the pulley itself that is failing it is the bearings

You all can get an upgraded pulley made out of aluminum, but unless the pulley is shattering then you are not fixing the root of the problem. It sounds like it is the bearings inside the pulley that are going bad and not the pulley itself. Unless you can fix the bearings you are attacking the wrong problem.

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
Try and get in touch with phil... he went thru this ....