4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replace Spark Plugs or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 05:26 AM

Any idea where to go next? I'm gonna order a grounding kit from Blehmco soon and see if that helps
Old 03-12-2007 | 07:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Neo Raven456
Any idea where to go next? I'm gonna order a grounding kit from Blehmco soon and see if that helps
I'm trying to remember.... I had a similar surge problem a while ago, it's gone now... I replaced the plugs OEM NGK, replaced the fuel filter cleaned the TB. I think I reset the ECU (disconnected the neg battery cable for a few hours probably overkill), and eventually within the week the problem stopped, maybe it takes a while for the ECU to readjust?? If I can remember anything else I will post. It's been a few years and I'm getting older
Old 03-12-2007 | 10:13 AM

Rest the ECU huh? Could it really help? Since I've clean TB, IACV, MAF, and replaced Spark Plugs, PCVV, and Fuel Filter maybe it needs to relearn what clean parts are like?

Just read up on resetting the ECU, anyone know how to do it for a 4th gen? Is simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal for awhile the best/correct/only way? I know that 2002+'s require a certain procedure because of the drive by wire system.
Old 03-22-2007 | 05:53 AM

Resetting the ECU is just disconnecting the battery? But would that help? I don't think our ECU's learn, isn't the data pre-mapped?
Old 03-22-2007 | 06:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ours does sort of learn...easiest way to reset is to is to turn to key to on. Twist the diagnostic screw once..wait a second or 2...turn it back...wait about a second and repeat. That should reset it i believe.
Old 03-22-2007 | 06:33 AM
sky jumper

disconnecting the battery overnight will reset the ECU, but that will not fix your problem. the ECU does learn the fuel trim, but that's about it.

neo - do you have an FSM? if not, get one. you should also borrow an OBDII scanner that can display live sensor data (such as the actron 9145). you can borrow them from many auto parts stores using the loaner tool program. this will help you monitor many of the control systems in real time, and that, with the FSM, will help you hunt this down. at this point you need to take a more pragmatic approach or you will just be spinning your wheels.

just to be clear -- this problem showed up before you did any of the work listed in the OP, correct? did you do anything at all (even simple stuff) soon before the symptoms appeared? you've touched a lot of sensitive systems, and I hope you haven't compounded the problem in doing so.
Old 03-22-2007 | 07:21 AM
我爱台湾

Hey bro, check and see if you have an exhaust leak. I am having very similar problems but I was discussing this with one of the orgers who went through the exact same problem and he discovered it was his exhaust leak that caused all of this. I do have an exhaust like and will be getting it taken care of tomorrow to see if this clears it up.
Old 03-22-2007 | 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sky jumper
disconnecting the battery overnight will reset the ECU, but that will not fix your problem. the ECU does learn the fuel trim, but that's about it.

neo - do you have an FSM? if not, get one. you should also borrow an OBDII scanner that can display live sensor data (such as the actron 9145). you can borrow them from many auto parts stores using the loaner tool program. this will help you monitor many of the control systems in real time, and that, with the FSM, will help you hunt this down. at this point you need to take a more pragmatic approach or you will just be spinning your wheels.

just to be clear -- this problem showed up before you did any of the work listed in the OP, correct? did you do anything at all (even simple stuff) soon before the symptoms appeared? you've touched a lot of sensitive systems, and I hope you haven't compounded the problem in doing so.
I have a pdf FSM and a Haynes manual.

I'm looking into finding a way to hook up my ECU to my MacBook so I can log real time data and pinpoint the problem. But I'll go to autozone and see if i can get them to read actron 9145 and get a print since I won't know what anything will mean. Maybe you guys could help.

The only thing I did before all this work was change my oil about 4 months before the problem, and installed a CAI about 3 months before the problems.

I do not believe I've compounded any problems, the spark plugs seemed to help as did the fuel filter, but it the problem still persists.

Originally Posted by Wil's95SE
Hey bro, check and see if you have an exhaust leak. I am having very similar problems but I was discussing this with one of the orgers who went through the exact same problem and he discovered it was his exhaust leak that caused all of this. I do have an exhaust like and will be getting it taken care of tomorrow to see if this clears it up.
I definitely have an exhaust leak, at least 2 or 3. My exhaust is rusted to hell, and my B-Pipe hangs about 2-3 inches below the car (which is lowered but not much only on Tokico Blues and stock springs, 2" front, 1.5" rear). Muffler is bent about 45 degrees to the left and down a bit so it didn't melt the bumper with exhaust. I only have a Y-pipe so far, and I'm working on the cash to order a GReddy SP2 and a new Cat.