4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Both My Maximas Don't Start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:08 PM

Both My Maximas Don't Start...

I have two maximas, one auto, one 5 speed. i'll start with the 5 speed.

Brand new battery, maybe one month old. went to work tuesday then didnt go to the car until thursday. car doesnt turn, not even a sound. no lights flicker, nothing at all. jumped it the next day, it started right up. turned it off, did not make a sound. so i jumped it again, and let it run for maybe 15 minutes then it would start right up for the rest of the day. the next day i go out to it, not a sound. doesnt start again. first time this has ever happened.

Now the auto, i hadnt started the car for over a week so i can understand why it might not start the first time. so i jumped it just to run it a while. took a while to start up. im assuming the battery could be going out on this one. but same thing as my 5 speed, it started for the rest of the day, then the next day nothing again.

i just moved from Florida to North Carolina where temps drop to maybe 30 every night so could the temperature have something to do with it? or is it something else?? imagine waking up to go to work and hopping in the car, and it doesnt start.."oh well, atleast i have another car"....
Old 12-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Kevlo for President

Sounds like bad alternators. I would get the alternators tested and check all the connections and grounds.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well you can swap the new battery from the 5spd into the auto to see if thats the problem, and if it is, swap the alternator from the auto into the 5spd to diagnose that problem. That's the beauty of having a parts car
Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The auto needs a new battery.
Check to see if you left a light on in your 5 speed. Seems that there's a draw someplace draining your new battery.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey buddy. before you start replacing parts, you should identify the discharging culprit. This is better known as "Parasitic Drain"! A parasitic drain is any electrical load which remains on when the ignition switch is off. This condition can be caused by many things... Firstly, if you are a DIYer you'll want to shell out $100 and get a Digital Multimeter with volt, ohm, ammeter functions, this will help you tremendously. Test procedure for parasitic drain with ignition switch off: 1) Set your meter to 10 Amp scale, 2) Disconnect negative battery cable, 3) Multimeter red/positive lead to battery negative cable, 4) Multimeter black/negative lead to negative battery terminal, 5) Wait 15 seconds for a stable reading, 6) Reading should be UNDER 50 milliamps, 7) If you get a reading that is higher than 50mA, start pulling fuses until reading drops, note which system's fuse caused the reading to drop, your problem exists in that system... if you still can't figure it out, take it to a shop you trust and tell them to check for parasitic drain. KEEP IN MIND, jump-starting a battery repeatedly or incorrectly WILL fry circuitry in sensitive computer components, including but not limited to your ECM's voltage regulation function. Worst case scenario, you fried your voltage regulator and will only find out after you've replaced a battery and alternator in each car... Start with the test and let us know how that goes. Good luck!