4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

engine goes cold after I start driving!!! and its -40 outside :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 AM

engine goes cold after I start driving!!! and its -40 outside :(

I was driving for about an hour, heater was fine and all was good, then I notice its getting chilly in the car! My car temperature dropped to COLD.. and needless to say, cold air blasted from the heater. Coolant recently flushed, all fluids are good.. car has been well maintained...

Today in the mornind, car was idling, everything was perfect; nice hot air flowing in. I start driving, then 5 min later engine temperature gage goes from WARM to COLD and of course cold air start flowing from my heater!

I assume its the thermostat that is stuck... but how come it is fine when idleing??? any info will be appreciated

take care
Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 AM

air pockets in the cooling system.. have it flushed again.. they probably didnt remove the coolant from the heater core.. u have to press a button on the climate control to dump all the water from it... or ur thermostat is bad
Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 AM

Thermostat is stuck open. When you drive, you are pushing way more air through the radiator, and as well, what is the wind chill there? Here its -20, so that is the temp of the air passing through the radiator. Just think of it for a moment.
Also, when idling, the somewhat hot air is let linger around the engine and cooling system, at least until the fan turns on. Thats why it is not so bad sitting at an idle.

could also be air pockets, but has the system been opened at all for repair? if it hasn't, the there should be no air pockets present.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
sky jumper

T-stat, for the reasons stated above. air in the system will usually make it run hot with cold heat (poor thermal conduction) so you wouldn't have heat at idle either.

I've noticed a lot of people with T-stat problems shortly after cooling system work has been performed. I wonder if there's a connection?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 AM

or the radiator cap is bad... check that out also.. i would just get a new one a lot of people dont realize that the cap is only like 10 bucks but its a part that nobody ever replaces...
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM

The thermostat is stuck open. Since it may not be FULLY open, what it'll do is let the car warm up till it is normal. As you all know, the engine does cool down a bit when you are driving especially in cold weather like this. That is why when you start driving the needle will go down to cold. The cold air is cooling your car, and obviously the faster you move, the colder you're engine will be. Hence the moving back and forth of the needle from normal to cold and back to normal when you stop.

Note: I had to stop on the side of the road for about 30 sec to get my car back to normal because it was so cold and the heat was blowing out cold air.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
The thermostat is stuck open. Since it may not be FULLY open, what it'll do is let the car warm up till it is normal. As you all know, the engine does cool down a bit when you are driving especially in cold weather like this. That is why when you start driving the needle will go down to cold. The cold air is cooling your car, and obviously the faster you move, the colder you're engine will be. Hence the moving back and forth of the needle from normal to cold and back to normal when you stop.

Note: I had to stop on the side of the road for about 30 sec to get my car back to normal because it was so cold and the heat was blowing out cold air.
yes, that was my logic as well. that cold air from outside was coming in to haunt me I havnt had any work done on the cooling system... anyways thermostat is around 30$ so I guess I will give it a shot! thanks guys
Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou

Your temp. needle SHOULD NOT MOVE. It should always be in the middle. If it is moving while you are driving you have a bad ECTS or something else is wrong.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by HarrisH
Your temp. needle SHOULD NOT MOVE. It should always be in the middle. If it is moving while you are driving you have a bad ECTS or something else is wrong.
but if its the ECT sensor that is buggy, I find it strange that the car acts strange only when driving. It makes more sense that cold air from outside is causing issues... anyways, will find out soon i guess!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by HarrisH
why shouldn't the needle move if the engine is colder?? Essentially you are correct, the needle should NOT move once the engine is warmed up. But the reason that the needle is MOVING is because too much coolant is let to the engine since the thermostat is stuck OPEN. The needle should move towards HOT if the engine thermostat is stuck closed. if you're temp sensor doens't move at all, you should change the temp sensor IMMEDIATELY since you can overheat anytime without knowing.

I had the SAME exact problem, changed out the thermostat and it has been fine ever since. so i'm really still not sure what you're talking about or unless you stating the fact that cold moving air WILL NOT cool your engine down which is untrue.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thermostat is stuck open

I agree with the guy that said it's the thermostat stuck open. I just replaced mine 2 days ago. A new thermostat costs $16 original and installation is $45 in shop. Or you can just take your shoe box and cut it open, stick it between the 2 fans which are located in the front center under your hood and the thing which looks like the back of the air conditioner. It's a small space, maybe 2 inches wide.

Listen, I am just recommending this because the engine should not be running cold and your a/c is not working so you are cold.

Hint- Try to put in the carton to cover as much space as possible between the fans and that thing (radiator i think?).
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dima202
I agree with the guy that said it's the thermostat stuck open. I just replaced mine 2 days ago. A new thermostat costs $16 original and installation is $45 in shop. Or you can just take your shoe box and cut it open, stick it between the 2 fans which are located in the front center under your hood and the thing which looks like the back of the air conditioner. It's a small space, maybe 2 inches wide.

Listen, I am just recommending this because the engine should not be running cold and your a/c is not working so you are cold.

Hint- Try to put in the carton to cover as much space as possible between the fans and that thing (radiator i think?).

Thanks Dima, I think I will go with a thermostat instead!!!
I just called the stealership and they are selling the thermostat at 43$ canadian and the gasket for 10$!!!!!!!!!! what a scam... and for some reason my mechanic told me to only install the original thermostat and he wownt put a clone in!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:36 PM

the reason is probably he doesn't want to do it twice in case the aftermarket part fails. What happens is that from not buying factory parts from the dealership, parts can be defective a lot of times and meaning he will do the work twice. But let me tell you, you can replace it yourself. Its VERY easy. You dont even have to drain your coolant. Just take that hose off connecting your radiator to the thermostat, loosening up i believe it's 3 bolts? n you're done. Pro one of the easiest things i've fixed on my car.....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mokura
Thanks Dima, I think I will go with a thermostat instead!!!
I just called the stealership and they are selling the thermostat at 43$ canadian and the gasket for 10$!!!!!!!!!! what a scam... and for some reason my mechanic told me to only install the original thermostat and he wownt put a clone in!
hit up internetautomar. I bought mine from him wasn't all that much.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Didn't except clone

I used my old gasket. It was in good condition. The thermostat he wants original is because many clones fail. Alteast our model (1998) is real picky with them.

But until you do all that, I would personally use the method I told you about before. It will keep your engine running in normal temperature and your heating will work too.
-It will just do the work of the thermostat. See it's stuck at one position right now where it constantly sends cold. By blocking this with the shoe box you are basically doing the thermostat's job.

BTW, You are lucky that it is stuck in this position because it could have also been that the engine is getting overheated. -That's a much worse problem

So good luck
Old 02-09-2007, 01:18 PM

thanks guys, changed the thermostat.. works fine now
take care!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 AM

A little off topic. Blame it on global warming. Global warming just causes your car to get too cold! Ask Al Gore.