4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch/Flywheel opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 09:34 AM

I have a 95 Se w/ 113K miles, factory clutch is finally slipping. (been very good to me) My question: I don't have any power mods yet, only handling. When I do add power I don't think I would ever go as drastic as a supercharger or anything, just intake, exhaust, Y-pipe (legal?) so when I get my clutch i don't think I will need anything to stiff but, I was debating - should I get the alum. flywheel. Is the price justified? Also, what are peoples experiences w/ act, centerforce, stillen, etc.? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2001, 09:56 AM

I just put on a Centerforce Dual Friction and an Al flywheel. The car gets up and goes faster due to the flywheel, but idles a bit rougher. Also it makes it harder to match revs on a downshift (must be much quicker with it) b/c the revs will drop real fast. Maybe I'm just used to the old flywheel and amount of gas that I used to have to give it to match. The clutch started off pretty rough but after breaking it in, it has improved greatly. It grips like there is no tomorrow and has a nice pedal feel. Sometimes there is a slight chatter when coasting in 4th or 5th gear then hitting the gas, but that is rare. I prolly have a little over 1000 mi on it so far. At first I wasn't happy with it, but it got better. ACT, from what I first heard was better than Centerforce, but after reading Briguy's (I think that's who it is) impressions, sounds exactly the same as what I have. Aftermarket clutch is the way to go. Mine cost ~$300, I think the ACT is slightly more, but comes with the bearings (it all comes out to around the same price). The flywheel is expensive, but very nice. Depends on how far you want to take it...