4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Better alternative to stock antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Fuhget About It.....

Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L
sry to bring this back up, but thought I'd do it for anyone that is looking for a betteroption to the stocker. Found it on FLEA-BAY, and it looked ok and was cheap. I'm gonna put it on as soon as I get it and I'll post pics.

We'll see how it goes...

-Matt

edit: guess it would help to post the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Those guys are sorry, I would never buy from them! They burned me and gave me my ONLY neg. fb fck 'em.

The integrated wiring I think in the rr defrost is for the key fob, not the radio.

edit: PS.....That Maxi up there looks sick! If I Ever do a paint job that is def an upgrade option for me!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by mforrest100
It was him. I e-mailed him earlier this week about this. He said is came from a VW 99 - 03 Jetta. I am looking into this right now.

OK, after seeing that Max, I am ready to send my antenna back and get one of those. That b1tch is bad as5...

-Matt
Old 03-15-2007, 07:24 PM

it is awesome looking, i am thinking about removing my antenna, but have not decided what to go with yet, i have had hideaway antenna before, but it didn't work as well as stock.

by the way you can fill in the hole easily yourself with aluminum sheeting and jb-weld:
just cut a square of the aluminum, about an inch around the hole on each side
fit it in and bend it to mold to the shape of the body (on the inside of course)
coat it pretty thick with jb weld, (if it is hot jb-kwik works fine too)
press it up and hold it till it sticks, it works better if not in direct sunlight,
once it dries solid then sand down the spot till it is even, it helps to have sanded the edge of the hole a little before you started...
a little primer, and then you have a filled in hole that is ready to paint!!

i did this on my mazda truck to shave the b2200 emblems, huge mirrors, and antenna and also on my 240sx to fill in the holes when i removed the rotted spoiler
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Fuhget About It.....

why cant some filler work instead, just put some body filler sand it down and paint, I bet if I take it to my boy down at the body shop(they do excellent work matching paint) it will be easy for him.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Father of the 00 VI

why not get a black rubber grommet and paint it body color
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM

a grommet would not look so good, not to mention paint doesn't stick well to rubber, and body filler will work, but jb-weld is quick, easy, less messy and lasts forever, "bondo" doesn't always last, in my experience.

there are other ways of doing it, i just gave a suggestion. always more than one way to go about something.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Or just leave the stock aerial down and have a shark fin
Old 03-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by maximafrenzy
why cant some filler work instead, just put some body filler sand it down and paint, I bet if I take it to my boy down at the body shop(they do excellent work matching paint) it will be easy for him.
Filling a hole that big with body filler alone would be what we refer to at the shop as a "hack job". There is no way that a big AS5 hunk of body filler is going to stay in that huge hole with out some support, so cutting a piece of metal and welding it in there, grinding it all down, using body filler to fill up the TINY dips in the surface of the metal,sanding, priming, sanding again, sealing and then finally painting the quarter is the only way to do it right.

JB weld would probably stay in there, but you have to paint it anyway so may as well do it the right way...