4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CAMs for a 4th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I was at dark nights in canada waiting in line for tickets the guy behind me was talking about his maxima and how he just ordered cams from some place in CA. I told him that I didn't think they existed for the maxima. Are there any, do they help?
Old 07-09-2001, 02:20 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

JWT has been promising cams for the VQ for several years now. They have yet to materialize...
Old 07-09-2001, 03:06 PM

I would love to get some cams for my ride, I think they would make a big difference in accel.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:27 PM
SLOW

Well when you told him that you didn't think they existed what did he say? Did he shut up or did he say what place it was he was ordering them from or who the manufacturer was, or was he just spouting BS?
Old 07-09-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
I would love to get some cams for my ride, I think they would make a big difference in accel.
Can you explain why? How would you want aftermarket cams to differ from the factory units? Higher lift? Longer duration? Increased overlap? Different lobe profile? Something else?

I'm skeptical about performance cams for the 4Gen Maxima. I believe there are none because the cam grinder companies have been unable to improve on the factory design.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:07 PM

I was doubtful that they existed, but he was an older guy (30ish) and what do I know about cams?? anyway, he didn't even know about maxima.org so who knows if he is just talking. I agree with Daniel!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:08 PM
yohann

If the cams can't be improved on does that also mean the exaust, intake and ecu can't be improved? Oh wait, they already have been. Of course there are trade offs, and I think Nissan put the best all around profile in. Nuff said.

Old 07-09-2001, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by yohann
If the cams can't be improved on does that also mean the exaust, intake and ecu can't be improved? ...
No, it does not mean that.

Some factory parts seem to be already optimized. One example is the exhaust manifolds. Don Cooper ("Don in Texas" of Valve Body Modification fame) tested a pair of beautifully ported and polished exhaust manifolds and discovered the gain was almost zero. On the one hand, that is a disappointment. On the other hand, it is evidence that the Nissan engineers did a good job on that component. For all the details, go to http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&postid=293547
Old 07-09-2001, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Can you explain why? How would you want aftermarket cams to differ from the factory units? Higher lift? Longer duration? Increased overlap? Different lobe profile? Something else?

I'm skeptical about performance cams for the 4Gen Maxima. I believe there are none because the cam grinder companies have been unable to improve on the factory design.
Good point! I wasn't looking at it that way, I was basing this on all of the guys I know who drive hondas and acuras that they see good gains with adjustable cams, but I forgot how much better my Maxima is than those honda cars.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:13 PM
Disco Biscuit

No, it does not mean that.

Some factory parts seem to be already optimized. One example is the exhaust manifolds. Don Cooper ("Don in Texas" of Valve Body Modification fame) tested a pair of beautifully ported and polished exhaust manifolds and discovered the gain was almost zero. On the one hand, that is a disappointment. On the other hand, it is evidence that the Nissan engineers did a good job on that component. For all the details, go to http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&postid=293547
Daniel beat me to it with that comment. There are quite a few things that were done with the VQ engine, that made alot of the parts optimized. I love Nissan, "sniff"
Old 07-10-2001, 12:48 AM

the guy could've been right. did he specify year/generation for the max in question? i think there are 3rd gen cams for the SOHC VG...

-V
Old 07-10-2001, 12:49 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

mmm, maybe they were custom cams? i have custom cams done on my turbo motor, but turbo cams are different then NA cams. I belive the stock cams can be improved on in terms of power, someone has to play around with different setups to find what might be best for the VQ. I dont think Nissan put the most aggressive cam profile in the VQ. Simply because other things besides power must be done in cam design. Emmissions, Idle smoothness, and powerband to name a few. Some Drawbacks of more aggressive cams, They may create bad idling, more emmissions, and less low end power.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:02 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I have to agree, especially with the purpose the VQ was originally designed for...

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
mmm, maybe they were custom cams? i have custom cams done on my turbo motor, but turbo cams are different then NA cams. I belive the stock cams can be improved on in terms of power, someone has to play around with different setups to find what might be best for the VQ. I dont think Nissan put the most aggressive cam profile in the VQ. Simply because other things besides power must be done in cam design. Emmissions, Idle smoothness, and powerband to name a few. Some Drawbacks of more aggressive cams, They may create bad idling, more emmissions, and less low end power.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:11 AM

oh trust me...the stock VQ cams can be improved..

Old 07-10-2001, 10:12 AM

Turbo95Max

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Custom cams must have cost fortune. You got 400hp? what does you car run in the 1/4 mile?
Old 07-10-2001, 10:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dan. The Sentra SER is a good example on how stock cams can be improved on. There's a euro spec cam that works well and JWT developed a set of cams for the ser that are really nice. The difficult thing w/ cam developement now is that they must be able to pass strict emissions, idle well and people demand hp from 2000 up to redline. It's very expensive to develope cams and it's very expensive to get cams ground on new Nissan blanks(the only right way IMHO) From what I hear, Nissan uses conserative grinds on the VQ. This would partly explain the nice torque curve down low and the tendency for the VQ to run out of breath by 5,500 rpm or so. IMHO, the VQ could use alot more duration and a little more lift. This would keep the valves outa the piston's way and the VQ would get the breathing it needs up high. Of course some of the low end torque goes away but it already has massive torque down low.

Old 07-10-2001, 05:27 PM

Anyone can get cams

ISKY or crower will regrind any cam to the specs the buyer specify. The thing is that regrinding an already worn cam, isn't worth the trouble most of the time. So you would have to buy some new core cams from nissan. This means buying both intake and exhaust cams. The cams probably cost around $150-200 each, then its $150 to regrind them. Basically your spending close to $1k if not alittle more to do some cams. Now ISKY does have several grinds that have good results in the VG30 engines. With alittle R&D there is no doubt a good set of cams can be made. Don't forget to install these cams the intake manifold will have to be removed. So if you don't do the labor yourself, it would probably cost around $2k for the R&D + install labor. So do some research.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:14 PM

And what you say makes me believe that Nissan did their homework when they created the VQ. Seems the only way we can get noticable and reliable power is with the SC. I may be wrong but people are having a hell of a time increasing the output without it.

(Yeah people, NOS helps too but it's not always available)
Old 07-10-2001, 06:26 PM

Well, you can get cams if you are willing on paying the price. JWT has done a few sets of re-welded stock cams. They were made for some racers. The cost is $2-3K a set, but I did not get a final price. Plus, you have to get a complete set of heavier valve springs. The stock valve springs float with the higher lift. They have done a couple different grinds, but are trying to lock into a set for production billets and that can pass emissions. They are planning to sell the billet versions when they come out for $1-2K a set.
Old 07-11-2001, 01:36 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

mitch33x,

they cost me $600 for all 4. I dunno what they regularly charge people tho. We are planning for 420-450hp when the new motor goes in. Havent run the 1/4 yet. The world of racing is not based on 1/4 times.
Old 07-11-2001, 06:06 AM

I had talked to Webcam about this, this is who DPR uses for cams. The said it would cost 250 per cam to make the blanks and 150 to grind them. So thats ~800 for the set. That leaves the question of the profile...