4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel Pump On the way out or soemthing else??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Fuel Pump On the way out or soemthing else??

so since its so nice out..took the bike out today......drove the car last night....filled it up 5 min before i hot home n left it there.....Started the car this morning really quick..didn't let it warm up since i just moved it back n forward really quick so i can get the bike out of the garage....So tonight i started the car....this is what happened..

Crank crank crank vroom..n then a lil pop or something???
Uh o....crank crank crank crank nothing.....
So i cranked it a lil bit...n stepped on the gas...engine started going...so i let go of the throttle and it shut off....
So i cranked some more..n then pressed on the gas some more...started.....n is idling...but then there was a lot of smoke that came out the back..i think it was white.....

anyways...the exhaust smelled like gas for a lil while...So i'm thinking that it was running lean....so I didn't think that it was the Fuel Pump....but it seemed like something in the gas line got stuck...or maybe was it the MAF sensor??? There are no codes right now...except for the evap that comes up once in a while...Haven't changed the filter in a while..so i'm prob gonna do that..but is there a way to tell if the fuel pump is going????

Thanks guys!!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 PM

It very well may be the fuel pump...can you hear the pump while the car is idling (if you can get the car to idle)? If so, you may need to think about replacing it. It was not too cold out last night so this is what leads me to believe it is the fuel pump like you said.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM

duno if thats the fuel pump of even how to check if its the fuel pump, but it could be a clogged fuel filter maybe ? when was the last time u changed that ?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
duno if thats the fuel pump of even how to check if its the fuel pump, but it could be a clogged fuel filter maybe ? when was the last time u changed that ?
thats what i'm thinking..been quite a while...like WAY over due....so i'm gonna change that out...was just too lazy before..its sitting in my house..lol....But just want to know if you can check if the fuel pump is going....cause i have no clue..
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM

not sure about the pump

but i just changed my fuel filter days ago and the car feels a bit better, mine was full of crap, the stuff that came out was nasty i dotn think it was ever changed and the car has 211 KM on her. i did put a 300z filter on so hopefully i wount have to change it again for a very long time cause it was a bunch of trouble for me. so be ready for some tough work if ur filter hoses have deposits on them!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 AM

check to see if you can hear the pump...if you can, and its louder than usual (if you ever noticed it before) it could be bad. But def change the fuel filter first, as that is much easier and more cost efficient.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 AM

It sounds exactly like my problem for the last month. It sounds like your starter is on its way out. That "pop" your getting is from under the hood is it not? Its back-fire through the intake I'm guessing. The reason why your getting smoke is your flooding the engine while your cranking. If it seems like your engine is cranking a little slower than it usually does... its probably the starter. You need a lot of torque to initially fire up the VQ. (reduction gears in our starters).

The bad news is that even with a voltage drop test you wont be able to tell if the starter is on its way out - only if the starter is toast.

Just because it cranks doesn't mean its cranking at 100% of the required speed.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hott_nikkelzz
It sounds exactly like my problem for the last month. It sounds like your starter is on its way out. That "pop" your getting is from under the hood is it not? Its back-fire through the intake I'm guessing. The reason why your getting smoke is your flooding the engine while your cranking. If it seems like your engine is cranking a little slower than it usually does... its probably the starter. You need a lot of torque to initially fire up the VQ. (reduction gears in our starters).

The bad news is that even with a voltage drop test you wont be able to tell if the starter is on its way out - only if the starter is toast.

Just because it cranks doesn't mean its cranking at 100% of the required speed.

Good luck.
I just replaced the starter 2 months ago.....actually replaced it 3 times..cause the 1st two were bad...but everything is fine now..just prob soemthign got stuck through the fuel filter..changing it out soon..but first i gotta get the bottom mount off my D2 coilover...blew a strut and now i can't get it off...