4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by unwedsailor
Hey, I have a 1995 Maxima. My engine is misfiring and I found the 2 cylinders that are doing it. The spark plugs are relatively new and I tried changing out the ignition coils. But this did nothing. One of the spark plugs looked fine but the other was a little wet and black. it does not smell like gasoline. The engine light is on but no one seems to have a computer to read it. Anyone know what might be the problem?
Well, which cylinders? That would be nice to know.

What do you mean no one can read the codes? No one has an OBD-II code reader or scanner around your area? That's rather hard to believe. Even Autozone/Advance will check them for free.

Not to mention if you read the stickies, you could just check them yourself...
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

autozone and another mechanic said that the OBD-II wont work for my car. And the on-board diagnostic system gves me the code that says it does not recognize the problem. If you count the cylinders from the right, it's the third (front cylinder) and 4th (back cylinder). i apologize, im not familiar with mechanic terms.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the code that flashes is 1010, the CEL decoder does not recognize it either.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
No more Maximas...

autozone and another mechanic said that the OBD-II wont work for my car. And the on-board diagnostic system gves me the code that says it does not recognize the problem. If you count the cylinders from the right, it's the third (front cylinder) and 4th (back cylinder). i apologize, im not familiar with mechanic terms.
The mechanic, and AZ employee are both wrong. They hear '95, they immediately assume that it's not OBD-II compatible. Click the link in my sig.

You're not getting a 1010, you're reading it incorrectly. That, or your ECU is screwed up.

Can you point the cylinders out here? Front indicates where the crank pulley is, at the passenger side of the engine bay.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1 and 2.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
No more Maximas...

1 and 2.
Have you ohmed out the injectors?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no, i dont know how to do that.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
No more Maximas...

no, i dont know how to do that.
Search for the procedure, then do that.

Are they not firing at all, or just occasional misfires?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, when I disconnect the coil, it doesnt effect the engine. I will search for that!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Hey wassup guys quick question for you:

Does anybody have a schematic of which fluids goes to where?

I know it may sound really stupid, but for some odd reason the fluid caps in my maxima are written in japanese ()

The fluid above the wiper one is slightly below the low level line, i want to fill it back up to avoid future problems.

I hope it is the brake fluid like i suspect because my pads are really due for a change.

Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ultrastar
Hey wassup guys quick question for you:

Does anybody have a schematic of which fluids goes to where?

I know it may sound really stupid, but for some odd reason the fluid caps in my maxima are written in japanese ()

The fluid above the wiper one is slightly below the low level line, i want to fill it back up to avoid future problems.

I hope it is the brake fluid like i suspect because my pads are really due for a change.

Thanks guys
...seriously?

Above the wiper?

Here's a question? Does this 'thing' have brake lines coming out of it? The answer you give is also the answer to whether or not it holds brake fluid...

Don't just top it off, find why it's low. If it is the brake fluid then correct, most likely your pads are worn down.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Ok, so I removed my old stock Panasonic rear deck speakers and purchased new infinity 3 1/2s only problem is that the plug in the back doesn't match up, on the infinity speakers there are two metal rings (for the 2 wires in the harness I'm guessing) but I don't know which goes where, and how to hook it up, any hints? I've looked at guides but they got nothing on installation.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Fishburn
Ok, so I removed my old stock Panasonic rear deck speakers and purchased new infinity 3 1/2s only problem is that the plug in the back doesn't match up, on the infinity speakers there are two metal rings (for the 2 wires in the harness I'm guessing) but I don't know which goes where, and how to hook it up, any hints? I've looked at guides but they got nothing on installation.
Are they labeled with the polarity?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM

OH, and to answer Ultrastar's question, Seeing that the yellow cap reservoir right behind the wiper fluid is Coolant, and its written in english, Im assuming its the black capped one, and its most probably the power steering fluid. The brake fluid is on the upper right side of the engine bay.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
No more Maximas...

OH, and to answer Ultrastar's question, Seeing that the yellow cap reservoir right behind the wiper fluid is Coolant, and its written in english, Im assuming its the black capped one, and its most probably the power steering fluid. The brake fluid is on the upper right side of the engine bay.
Master cylinder is on the left side of the engine bay, but otherwise correct.

Ah, he's talking about the washer fluid reservoir, I thought he meant the wiper blades. In that case yes, PS fluid.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to the forum and had a question. I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima that was having issues with rough idling and stalling out so I took it to a mechanic. After looking at the car the mechanic determined that there were several wires in the wiring harness that were damaged and recommended a new wiring harness. The initial estimate for replacing the harness was around 1700, but he said he could put a used wiring harness from a salvage yard for $400, so I decided to go that route instead.

After installing the used wiring harness, although power was going to all of the electrical components in the car, there is no spark going to the spark plugs and now the car will not start at all. Hes looked over the car for a few days now and cant seem to figure it out. He also took the car to Nissan to have them diagnose it and they cant seem to figure it out either. The only suggestion he has now is that perhaps the used wiring harness is not good and a brand new harness will resolve the issue. What do you think?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
It's unlikely the TCM has failed randomly, though I suppose a malfunctioning charging system could damage it. In theory.

I finally had more time to work on the car. I got to the A/T Control Unit, there's barely any room around it. The face is covered by a plastic piece (protector) and there's a screw right in the middle of the unit.
Do I need to remove that plastic piece in order to get to the connector (pins) and how? Or do I need to take the middle screw out?

Anyone? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ronin007007
New to the forum and had a question. I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima that was having issues with rough idling and stalling out so I took it to a mechanic. After looking at the car the mechanic determined that there were several wires in the wiring harness that were damaged and recommended a new wiring harness. The initial estimate for replacing the harness was around 1700, but he said he could put a used wiring harness from a salvage yard for $400, so I decided to go that route instead.

After installing the used wiring harness, although power was going to all of the electrical components in the car, there is no spark going to the spark plugs and now the car will not start at all. Hes looked over the car for a few days now and cant seem to figure it out. He also took the car to Nissan to have them diagnose it and they cant seem to figure it out either. The only suggestion he has now is that perhaps the used wiring harness is not good and a brand new harness will resolve the issue. What do you think?
While there was a TSB on wiring harness breakage where it wraps around the right hand strut tower, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 actual cases of it.

$400 for an engine control harness? Damn. You can get them at most yards for under $100.

If you have it in your possession, there are several checks you could do.

But first thing, and pretty important - codes?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ar99
I finally had more time to work on the car. I got to the A/T Control Unit, there's barely any room around it. The face is covered by a plastic piece (protector) and there's a screw right in the middle of the unit.
Do I need to remove that plastic piece in order to get to the connector (pins) and how? Or do I need to take the middle screw out?

Anyone? Thanks.
That pic was just to show the location, if you pull out the center stack (radio, vents, etc) then you can remove the 3 10mm head nuts, pull the BCM out of the way, and the TCM just lifts right out. Much easier.

If you're testing for signals to/from the TCM, just pop off the plastic cover. If you're just testing continuity to the engine bay, it's a lot easier to unscrew that 10mm head bolt and pull the connector off.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well...i would imagine it was $400 for parts & labor, so in that case then I guess i paid roughly around $100 for it. I dont know much about ECM codes, I'd have to ask him tomorrow.

The car is actually still at the Nissan dealership...hes paying for them to diagnose the issue but they've had the car for like 3 days and all they keep saying is that "they're working on it...."
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well...i would imagine it was $400 for parts & labor, so in that case then I guess i paid roughly around $100 for it. I dont know much about ECM codes, I'd have to ask him tomorrow.

The car is actually still at the Nissan dealership...hes paying for them to diagnose the issue but they've had the car for like 3 days and all they keep saying is that "they're working on it...."
Surprised they're actually doing diagnosis, most dealerships don't pay the techs for diag time. They may have had a driveability tech consider it to be a 'fun challenge', though.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

While there was a TSB on wiring harness breakage where it wraps around the right hand strut tower, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 actual cases of it.

$400 for an engine control harness? Damn. You can get them at most yards for under $100.

If you have it in your possession, there are several checks you could do.

But first thing, and pretty important - codes?
I dont remember the mechanic mentioning any codes being returned, only that there was no spark going to the spark plugs. Is it usually a good idea to use salvaged engine wiring harnesses?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
No more Maximas...

I dont remember the mechanic mentioning any codes being returned, only that there was no spark going to the spark plugs. Is it usually a good idea to use salvaged engine wiring harnesses?
Unless it's physically damaged, they're generally fine. Not too common for major issues (on these, anyway) unlike the older 80's Nissans or Toyotas with the wire insulation breakage all over the place.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Surprised they're actually doing diagnosis, most dealerships don't pay the techs for diag time. They may have had a driveability tech consider it to be a 'fun challenge', though.
Well initially when he called the dealership they said they would diagnose the issue first before recommending any work, and it was a flat rate of like $109...i'm just concerned that after 3 days even the dealership wont figure it out. But then again, considering that they have other cars to work on, they might only be looking at my car like an hour or 2 a day....
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unless it's physically damaged, they're generally fine. Not too common for major issues (on these, anyway) unlike the older 80's Nissans or Toyotas with the wire insulation breakage all over the place.
Well the car was in an accident before and it caused the motor mounts to snap. He guessed that on impact the wiring harness was pinned/pressed against or the motor mounts snapped causing the motor to press against the harness.

When he receieved the harness from the salvage yard he said that a few of the connectors were damaged but the wires seemed to be ok and that he could repair them. After installing it he said that there was power going to more things than there was when the old harness was connected.

Do you think that the damaged connectors might have something to do with this even though he said he repaired them?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Well the car was in an accident before and it caused the motor mounts to snap. He guessed that on impact the wiring harness was pinned/pressed against or the motor mounts snapped causing the motor to press against the harness.

When he receieved the harness from the salvage yard he said that a few of the connectors were damaged but the wires seemed to be ok and that he could repair them. After installing it he said that there was power going to more things than there was when the old harness was connected.

Do you think that the damaged connectors might have something to do with this even though he said he repaired them?
It's a possibility, but without knowing exactly what he did, can't really say.

Also note that different year harnesses have slightly different pinouts, especially at the connectors that go to the fuse box.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's a possibility, but without knowing exactly what he did, can't really say.

Also note that different year harnesses have slightly different pinouts, especially at the connectors that go to the fuse box.
Ok well would a wiring harness for any 1997 maxima work in my car or would I a harness from the exact same model? I think I have a GLE.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
No more Maximas...

Ok well would a wiring harness for any 1997 maxima work in my car or would I a harness from the exact same model? I think I have a GLE.
As long as the wiring harness came out of an auto, it'd be fine.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As long as the wiring harness came out of an auto, it'd be fine.

Oh ok. I'm not really sure what to do at this point...the mechanic is kind of convinced that putting in a new wiring harness will do the job although we're still waiting for Nissan to get back to us.

Another thing...the Nissan tech's told me the other day that they were trying to trace the issue and that there were alot of spliced/patched wires in the care and that it was making it difficult to trace the issue. I guess thats a possibility although it never stopped the old harness from starting up.

Another guy I know suggested that maybe the ECM needs to be programmed to recognize the new harness...do you think that might be it?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Oh ok. I'm not really sure what to do at this point...the mechanic is kind of convinced that putting in a new wiring harness will do the job although we're still waiting for Nissan to get back to us.

Another thing...the Nissan tech's told me the other day that they were trying to trace the issue and that there were alot of spliced/patched wires in the care and that it was making it difficult to trace the issue. I guess thats a possibility although it never stopped the old harness from starting up.

Another guy I know suggested that maybe the ECM needs to be programmed to recognize the new harness...do you think that might be it?
There's no 'programming' related to the engine harness, all it does is carry electricity to various places.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There's no 'programming' related to the engine harness, all it does is carry electricity to various places.
Yeah thats what I thought...would be nice if it was as easy as that.

Well lets see...to my knowledge, the following things have been replaced on the car during this repair:

-Mass Air Flow Sensor
-3 Motor Mounts
-Engine wiring harness

The mechanic changed the MAF first, and thought the car ran better it was still stalling out. At that point he then replaced the motor mounts and the engine wiring harness, and it was at that point that the car would not get any spark to the spark plugs...could it be something related to the replaced MAF?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
No more Maximas...

Yeah thats what I thought...would be nice if it was as easy as that.

Well lets see...to my knowledge, the following things have been replaced on the car during this repair:

-Mass Air Flow Sensor
-3 Motor Mounts
-Engine wiring harness

The mechanic changed the MAF first, and thought the car ran better it was still stalling out. At that point he then replaced the motor mounts and the engine wiring harness, and it was at that point that the car would not get any spark to the spark plugs...could it be something related to the replaced MAF?
No, the MAF isn't likely your issue.

Without knowing if he's tested both CKPS' and the CPS, checked the wiring for them, checked the engine grounds, signal plates, etc there's really no telling what the problem might be. Especially the codes, they will often point you in the right direction.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Without knowing if he's tested both CKPS' and the CPS, checked the wiring for them, checked the engine grounds, signal plates, etc there's really no telling what the problem might be. Especially the codes, they will often point you in the right direction.

Oh Ok i'll have to ask if any codes are being returned...and these would be codes returned by the ECM? Also what are the CKPS & CPS?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM

That pic was just to show the location, if you pull out the center stack (radio, vents, etc) then you can remove the 3 10mm head nuts, pull the BCM out of the way, and the TCM just lifts right out. Much easier.

If you're testing for signals to/from the TCM, just pop off the plastic cover. If you're just testing continuity to the engine bay, it's a lot easier to unscrew that 10mm head bolt and pull the connector off.
I was actually trying to remove the whole center stack, but I got stuck after removing the plastic cover, ashtray and the 2 screws that hold the lower part of the piece directly above the ashtray. The FSM doesn't have step by step instructions on how to remove the whole thing. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was gonna test the signals to/from TCM, but than I figured if the thing needs to be replaced, I might as well try to have full access to it.
Is $450 a good price in case I need a new one (oem)?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ar99
I was actually trying to remove the whole center stack, but I got stuck after removing the plastic cover, ashtray and the 2 screws that hold the lower part of the piece directly above the ashtray. The FSM doesn't have step by step instructions on how to remove the whole thing. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was gonna test the signals to/from TCM, but than I figured if the thing needs to be replaced, I might as well try to have full access to it.
Is $450 a good price in case I need a new one (oem)?
You've got to remove the vents/clock assembly at the top, there are two more screws that hold the climate/radio/pocket in place.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-bose-hu.html and etc

$450...ouch. You can get them in junkyards all the time for $30 or less, I would never buy a brand new one. Check out the various threads in the classifieds, you'll get one for a lot cheaper.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Oh Ok i'll have to ask if any codes are being returned...and these would be codes returned by the ECM? Also what are the CKPS & CPS?
Yes, the ECU will throw the codes.

CKPS == CranKshaft Position Sensor.

CPS == Camshaft Position Sensor.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 PM

Ah yes, its the black capped one, thanks fishburn!

Ah, he's talking about the washer fluid reservoir, I thought he meant the wiper blades. In that case yes, PS fluid.
hahaha, yeah, sorry bout that, i gotta admit "above the wiper" is pretty confusing, washer fluid reservoir sounds more like it

ok last newbie question, if we take a look at this pic:

Where is the transmission fluid then
its probably going to be extremely obvious, but when i open my hood i only see 4 fluid reservoirs...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ultrastar
Ah yes, its the black capped one, thanks fishburn!

hahaha, yeah, sorry bout that, i gotta admit "above the wiper" is pretty confusing, washer fluid reservoir sounds more like it

ok last newbie question, if we take a look at this pic:

Where is the transmission fluid then
its probably going to be extremely obvious, but when i open my hood i only see 4 fluid reservoirs...
The trans fluid 'reservoir' is the pan. It's filled through the dipstick tube.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, the ECU will throw the codes.

CKPS == CranKshaft Position Sensor.

CPS == Camshaft Position Sensor.
Oh ok thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey I called the Nissan tech and he said that the code being returned from the car is that there is no signal to tell the engine/spark plugs to fire.

I then told him that the salvaged wiring harness used in the car had a few bad connections but the mechanic i used said he could repair them, to which he then replied that the repaired connections in the wiring harness might be the issue. What do you think?

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!