4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brakes make noise..... irretating.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 12:22 PM
www.autotalk.com

Can someone help me out on this crap. I am now tired of this. I just got my brake pads replaced and now they make soo much noise that it hurts the ears.. is there any way to overcome this problem?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2001, 12:30 PM
auto99se

do they squeel or do they rattle? my guess is squeel but mine do both. you can get that light blue paste stuff from the parts store and rub it on the back-side (not the pad side) and it should help. also the pads from nissan are a slight bit wider (or) longer than aftermarket which can/does cause them to rattle when you go over a bump. it's possible it can also attribute to squeeling.

Old 07-10-2001, 12:43 PM
www.autotalk.com

Thanks man.. I will sure try that. I hope it helps..
Old 07-10-2001, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Max4Speed
Thanks man.. I will sure try that. I hope it helps..
yesterday i went to nissan, my brakes were making a metal scraping type sound. it cost me 200 bucks to fix God knows what. he said he did a brake job. anyway, the sound decreased a bit but did not go away. i still get squeking sounds, i called him today. he said wait a few days to give them some time. i dont know if hes full of Sh*t or not but i guess ill find out soon.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Screeching Brakes...

My brakes have that horrible screeching sound too. I took my car to the Nissan dealership, and they said the brakes were perfect and they couldn't do anything. I'll try above, I hope it works. If it doesn't I'm gonna a buy a brake package with the stillen rotors, bf goodrich brakelines, new pads and stuff (www.eatricezone.com). They are on sale there for like $600 if anyone cares. just trying to help.
Old 07-10-2001, 05:04 PM

Re: RE: Screeching Brakes...

Originally posted by Vyrus
My brakes have that horrible screeching sound too. I took my car to the Nissan dealership, and they said the brakes were perfect and they couldn't do anything. I'll try above, I hope it works. If it doesn't I'm gonna a buy a brake package with the stillen rotors, bf goodrich brakelines, new pads and stuff (www.eatricezone.com). They are on sale there for like $600 if anyone cares. just trying to help.

to be hoest with you man, IF IT REALLY IS SAFE TO BE DRIVING WITH THAT SOUND and there is nothign wrong, the i dont give a sheeet. im only worried cuz its a brake issue and sounds serious. with my music on i wouldnt hear anything. maybe daniel martin will let us know if the squeeking sound is ok or not. later.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:05 PM

thoughts

About 2 months ago I replaced my pads. I got mine from EATRICE=phong. He is a good guy who sells a great product. I will say they dust like crazy though!

Anyway, if you took it some place you risk having teh $10/hour grease monkey not placing the shims back on. Don't use the aftermarket ones; get the Nissan ones even if you have to buy new. I tried the aftermarket ones and they squeaked like mad. I actually trhough my old semi-rusty ones back in and they were silent.

The 'blue' stuff is also a must! I think that stuff should be used on all brake jobs. My advise? Look for the stock shims and then go from there!

SHUMAX
Old 07-10-2001, 06:16 PM

MY damn breaks does that too
its EMBARRASinG to go around with squeeking breaks
all these nice cars drive in the parking lot,
and i go in there squeeking my *** to death to park

and i guess only way is the blue stuff on my breaks...
but for the guy,
yea, wait a few days, the sound will decrease but WILL NOT GO AWAY
i guess i gotta put more blue shiets in my breaks
poor sexima...
-shinji
Old 07-10-2001, 06:19 PM

Re: Re: RE: Screeching Brakes...

Originally posted by riggy
to be hoest with you man, IF IT REALLY IS SAFE TO BE DRIVING WITH THAT SOUND and there is nothign wrong, the i dont give a sheeet. im only worried cuz its a brake issue and sounds serious. with my music on i wouldnt hear anything. maybe daniel martin will let us know if the squeeking sound is ok or not. later.
This shrill sound could be coming from the brake pad wear indicators. Here is a quote from the Owner's Manual.

Brake pad wear indicators
The disc brake pads on your vehicle have audible wear indicators. When a brake pad requires replacement, it will make a high pitched scraping or screeching sound when the vehicle is in motion whether or not the brake pedal is depressed. Have the brakes checked as soon as possible if the wear indicator sound is heard.

If your brake pads are not worn out you are hearing ordinary "disk brake squeal". This is a common complaint with disk brakes on all makes of car. Volvo is especially bad in this regard. Blue Goo anti-squeal compound applied to the steel backing plate of the pads is effective in many cases. Please refer to the Haynes repair manual, page 9-7.

Some owners insist that you must use Nissan factory brake parts to avoid brake squeal. However, I've had good results with name-brand replacement parts such as Raybestos.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:25 PM

Hang onto the paperwork

Originally posted by riggy
... it cost me 200 bucks to fix God knows what. he said he did a brake job. ...
You should have received a Service Department Work Order showing exactly what service was performed and which parts were replaced. If you didn't get this paper, go back and ask for it. That kind of paperwork is essential if you have a problem related to the service work. Save it with other important car-related papers (title, bill of sale, insurance policy, etc.).
Old 07-10-2001, 06:41 PM

Re: Hang onto the paperwork

thank you.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:46 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

WOW MAX4SPEED..... NICE CAR!

Can someone help me out on this crap. I am now tired of this. I just got my brake pads replaced and now they make soo much noise that it hurts the ears.. is there any way to overcome this problem?

Thanks
Just lower that baby and you are set, but, best combo, leather, black, 5spd.... uhh, I want a 4th gen

oh, about the brake squeak... When brake pads are replaced, what should usually be done is the rotors should be resurfaced.... If the surface of the rotor is just a little uneven, it will cause some squeaking and nasty noises, trust me, i have this right now.... There is no danger driving that way but I agree it is annoying as hell. The brake pads might wear faster too with uneven rotors... Also, make sure the shims are put on, also, get some of that anti-squeak blue stuff..
Old 07-10-2001, 09:15 PM

Re: WOW MAX4SPEED..... NICE CAR!

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

Just lower that baby and you are set, but, best combo, leather, black, 5spd.... uhh, I want a 4th gen

oh, about the brake squeak... When brake pads are replaced, what should usually be done is the rotors should be resurfaced.... If the surface of the rotor is just a little uneven, it will cause some squeaking and nasty noises, trust me, i have this right now.... There is no danger driving that way but I agree it is annoying as hell. The brake pads might wear faster too with uneven rotors... Also, make sure the shims are put on, also, get some of that anti-squeak blue stuff..
rotors were resurfaced.........looks like this saturday will be spent reading at my nissan dealers waiting room.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:34 PM

I know what you mean

OKay, here is the situation. I had to replace my brake pads not long ago too. They were squeeking like crazy, waking every neighbor in my neighborhood. I did it for them partially. Well, i thought, why not get some better ****. I mean i love my max so why not spend some more money on that baby. I mean, i wanted to put her even with my girlfriend (hehe), and so i did. I bought the IMPORT QUIET, I forgot by whom though, and it promised not reduced, but none whatsoever, amount of noise. DAMN i was happy to read that. So i put it on, and that ***** squeeked more than the worn ones i had. I regretted throwing the old ones away. Well i was told to drive a few days and they will wear in and no more noise. I want to kill the fu**er who told me that. But he left. Well, days passed, weeks passed, and months passed. SAME OLD ****, Squeeking. So i just said FU** IT. I drove with them for like 3 and a half months now and i can still here them sometime but not that much. It's a *****. I know. But there is just so much you can do. And when you go to a nissan dealer, they say they can help but they don't do ****. Sorry for making this so long but i had to get it out of me. I'm all good now. HEHE. SO just hang in there buddy.
Old 07-11-2001, 07:33 AM
www.autotalk.com

Thanks NYCEMAX, actually thanks everyone for the suggestions.. My rotors were not uneven but still the brake shop guy did a lil on them to make it even.. yesterday i went to tire shop and that guy told me that this happens.. drive for a while it should go away.. ohwell. I will try that too. yesterday i hit my f***n' wheel in a pothole... and now i see a bubble thing on my tire. I hope the wheel is not bent. also dont know wats up with that bubble. all crazy things happening at same time...
Old 07-11-2001, 08:10 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: thoughts

Originally posted by shumax
About 2 months ago I replaced my pads. I got mine from EATRICE=phong. He is a good guy who sells a great product. I will say they dust like crazy though!

Anyway, if you took it some place you risk having teh $10/hour grease monkey not placing the shims back on. Don't use the aftermarket ones; get the Nissan ones even if you have to buy new. I tried the aftermarket ones and they squeaked like mad. I actually trhough my old semi-rusty ones back in and they were silent.

The 'blue' stuff is also a must! I think that stuff should be used on all brake jobs. My advise? Look for the stock shims and then go from there!

SHUMAX
I just installed new rotors and Porterfield pads. I order the complete Nissan Hardware kits for the front and back. On each corner I installed new shims, springs, and wear indicators. The Nissan Hardware kit also came with pink greese (silencer) for the back of the pads. I covered all of the pads with it and they have been silent.

I would think new hardware (shims, springs,...) is a must when installing new pads. I won't say that Nissan hardware is necessary, but it wasn't really all that much. (See the Maintenance Stickey in the 4th gen forum)
Old 07-11-2001, 09:20 AM
www.autotalk.com

I guess I will buy that greeze from nissan? hehehe how much was the kit anyways?
Old 07-11-2001, 09:27 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I guess I will buy that greeze from nissan? hehehe how much was the kit anyways?
I don't know that there was anything special about the Nissan greese, I think the new Nissan hardware may help more than anything. The greese was just included in the kit.

Here are the part numbers (taken from the Maintenance Stickey):

Front Brake Hardware Kit: 41080-73L29 (1995 only)
Front Brake Hardware Kit: 41080-40U25 (1996 to 1999)

Rear Brake Hardware Kit: 44080-54C29 (1995 to 07/98)
Rear Brake Hardware Kit: 44080-2Y525 (08/98 - 01/99)
Rear Brake Hardware Kit: 44080-4U025 (02/99 - End of '99)

If I recall correctly, eack kit was somewhere around $20-$30. A kit covers an axel, meaning that the Front Hardware Kit will provide you with enough hardware to do both front brakes.