4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Really Need Help This Is Costing Me A Fortune...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 PM

I Really Need Help This Is Costing Me A Fortune...

I have a 99SE and have been having problems lately... It has gone into the shop, I have waited for backordered parts, I have paid labor, now my mechanic is stumped...

To start from the beginning a couple of weeks or so ago I had a check engine light come on, So I went to autozone to have them run the codes, and they found "Qxygen Sensor" & "Knock Sensor" Codes... I set up an apointmet with my mechanic to have them fixed and brakes and oil change... (A Week Later) A day before I got my car to the mechanic it started having trouble starting (would crank strong, but not catch for 10-30 seconds sometimes more...) I took it in the next day, and when they checked the codes they found a "Crank Sensor" & "one of the two codes mentioned above" & and the clutch switch started acting up (When clutch was in car would crank once and die the only way to start was with car in nutral and clutch not depressed)... The mechanic replaced some belt, did brakes and oil change, and ordered the crank sensor... The crank sensor was back ordered for a few days, and came today... I took the car back in to him, and he replaced the sensor... Nothing changed, the car still has the starting problem, the clutch switch is still working funny, and when we cleared the codes they both came back right away...

also I got in an accident a year ago, and banged up the front driver side corner really good (busted axel and some body damage... I am curious if this is maybe the cause, or contributer to the problem...

This is my last resort before I let the dealership rape me.. (which I can't afford)

Any suggestions? Please Help...

I will chack back often over the next few days, so ask any questions you think can help...

and if you need a crank sensor make an offer, I got a brand new one I cant return.... Cost me close to $175

Thanks for all your help,
Dave

Progress:

* O2 Sensor was tested and is operating fine...
* Injector Pulse tested within range...
* All Fuses are fine...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM
<3's the all motor section

check the clutch interlock relay if it wont crank and the wires going up to this relay....im kinda unsure as to what the car does now..care to explain?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Cranks for aprox. 30 seconds and starts...
wont start when the clutch is in (turns over once and dies)
will only crank with clutch out and in nutral...

Does that help?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Here's the things to look at via Alldata
Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 PM

From what I read... I think he didn't tighten a ground... it's located next to the intake manifold collector... Looks like there's 2 wires that grounds to it to the block from the main harness... possibly loosened to do knock sensor?? Is your car CALI spec??
Old 04-26-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_E_Boi84
From what I read... I think he didn't tighten a ground... it's located next to the intake manifold collector... Looks like there's 2 wires that grounds to it to the block from the main harness... possibly loosened to do knock sensor?? Is your car CALI spec??
They did not replace the knock sensor, and it started before I brought the car to them....

I am thinking I will start by looking for shorts this weekend... any advice on how and where to start? I have never done this before, but cant afford to pay a mechanic to chase this for hours... Any help?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does your car have an alarm system? This same thing happened to me when I had a Clifford. Turns out the Clifford was malfunctioning and preventing me from starting.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Long shot: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=452286
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Janker25... no alarm....

MaXima0wnZ.... I dont have the intermittin stop while starting, but that does sound similar...

I will replace the grounds this weekend, and do a few other things just to rule out the easy stuff, and a tune up (plugs, clean IACV & Plenum, Fuel Injector Cleaner, Filters...) will see what happens then I might look for shorts, and go from there, unless someone has good reson to do otherwise...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 AM

If anyone knows which wires I should ckeck, and/or has some wiring diagrams that show these wires, they would mbe much appreciated...

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 AM

Check all of your fuses...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by cam_honestiam
Check all of your fuses...
Nope all are fine...
Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 AM

If you can crank your car without stepping on the clutch then someone obviously did some rewiring on your car. I would remove the connector on the clutch pedal switch and put a paper clip between the connector (harness side not the switch side). To test the crank sensor you would need an oscillator meter and probe the back of the cpu. A trick you might try is to remove the crank sensor connector and try to start the car without it. A lot of cars can run without it, it just have the check engine light on (I just don't know if the maxima is one of them). If you remove it before you start the car the cpu will find other means of finding crank/rpm signal such as the cam signal. I have diagnose a few cars with intermittent starting problems because the crank sensor connector is loose. Beyond that I would just recommend you bring it to the dealer. Although they charge a lot they often very quick with the diagnostic because they work on these cars so often (save you money for less diagnosing times). You can report back here on what they find to see if it is feasible for you do it yourself.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Sorry It was like 3am when I read your story.
But obviously you want to fix the Crankshaft Sensor code first... What was the other code??? Knock sensor??? Here's the wiring diagram...

Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by fithos
If you can crank your car without stepping on the clutch then someone obviously did some rewiring on your car. I would remove the connector on the clutch pedal switch and put a paper clip between the connector (harness side not the switch side). To test the crank sensor you would need an oscillator meter and probe the back of the cpu. A trick you might try is to remove the crank sensor connector and try to start the car without it. A lot of cars can run without it, it just have the check engine light on (I just don't know if the maxima is one of them). If you remove it before you start the car the cpu will find other means of finding crank/rpm signal such as the cam signal. I have diagnose a few cars with intermittent starting problems because the crank sensor connector is loose. Beyond that I would just recommend you bring it to the dealer. Although they charge a lot they often very quick with the diagnostic because they work on these cars so often (save you money for less diagnosing times). You can report back here on what they find to see if it is feasible for you do it yourself.
I plan to try a few things this weekend first, the dealer as last resort...

I am going to check my ground wires & for shorts to the sensor...
There is a TSB for this problem that I plan to try...
will prob replace Knock sensor while I am at it... (noticed low end performance loss months ago)
will prob clean IACV & Plenum while messing around, as they've never been done yet...
try some injector cleaner when I fill up today...
and I am a little early, but prob I'll prob do the plugs too...

Once I rule out most of that, Then off to the dealer

Dan_E_Boi84... thanks for the diagram..

any other comments/suggestions are appreciated...

Dave
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Jedi Knight

did you check the starter?...it might be on its way out..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
did you check the starter?...it might be on its way out..
I can see why you think this but it started all of a sudden, and has been consistant, not getting worse. and the codes all came up.. but I guess it is possible...

Old 04-28-2007, 01:23 PM

OK....

Today I checked the codes, and got
0407 - Crankshaft Position Sensor (Reference)
0901 - Front Right Htd O2 Sensor Heater
0304 - Knock Sensor

Then I cleaned my IAC Valve (Very Dirty)
Cleaned my Throttle Body (Very Dirty)
Replaced my Fuel Filter
Replaced my PCV Valve
Ran some Injector Cleaner In when I got gas Yesterday

I reset the codes and went for a drive appx 8 Miles...
BTW it started a little easier like 5 times now, but not easy yet...
NO codes came back...
Parked for 20 mine went out and turned it on & CEL came on...
Only got 1 code:
0505 - No Failure Recorded/Detected

What does this mean?

I plan on doing plugs and wires next week, and I am gonna order the knock sensor next week as well...

Any Ideas?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by D-Twelve
OK....

Today I checked the codes, and got
0407 - Crankshaft Position Sensor (Reference)
0901 - Front Right Htd O2 Sensor Heater
0304 - Knock Sensor

Then I cleaned my IAC Valve (Very Dirty)
Cleaned my Throttle Body (Very Dirty)
Replaced my Fuel Filter
Replaced my PCV Valve
Ran some Injector Cleaner In when I got gas Yesterday

I reset the codes and went for a drive appx 8 Miles...
BTW it started a little easier like 5 times now, but not easy yet...
NO codes came back...
Parked for 20 mine went out and turned it on & CEL came on...
Only got 1 code:
0505 - No Failure Recorded/Detected

What does this mean?

I plan on doing plugs and wires next week, and I am gonna order the knock sensor next week as well...

Any Ideas?
ok granted i have an auto but the starting sounds just like what i was having with my 99 se-l. i thought it was the starter and took it in to get tested and they said it was fine yet it did so i got another starter and it fixed the issue. take it out and go get it tested at an autozone or discount auto parts they do it for free but i am pretty sure its the starter

i also changed a lot of what you did and cleaned out everythign you did but the starter is what fixed my issue greatly
Old 04-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 95PRMax
ok granted i have an auto but the starting sounds just like what i was having with my 99 se-l. i thought it was the starter and took it in to get tested and they said it was fine yet it did so i got another starter and it fixed the issue. take it out and go get it tested at an autozone or discount auto parts they do it for free but i am pretty sure its the starter

i also changed a lot of what you did and cleaned out everythign you did but the starter is what fixed my issue greatly

I'll get to that soon...
Have a few other ideas first though...
Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Anyone? I am going to try more this week, but I need help desiding the best course of action...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 AM

bump... bump...
Old 04-30-2007, 06:50 PM

PROBLEM FIXED...

Its all Explained here...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=520159

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP...
YOU GUYS AND GALS RULE...

DAVE