4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR Temp and TPS codes KEEP coming up WTF?!!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Hella internets

EGR Temp and TPS codes KEEP coming up WTF?!!?!

Ok, well this is kind of hard to explain in a short thread so forgive me for the long read:

mods i have that may help the Trouble shooting process:
2k VI with LIM, Fuel inj. and rail
2k TB

I pulled up a TPS code (0403) and i replaced the TPS with a new one, drove it around and it came back up when i restarted my car after a good 15-20 minute drive. Pulled the codes and now i have a new code (EGR TEMP SENSOR 0305).

I sprayed the egr pipe with TB cleaner to try to clear out any carbon deposits that may be causing the CEL for the EGRTS, but still it comes up. Im assuming this is a bad sensor, but im going to try to clean it out one more time before i replace it...

The REAL problem is this consistent TPS code, i have tried a spare TPS i had that i found, as well as my originall calilbrating them each time following the writeup on the stickies. Even with my new TPS i still get this code!

I have messed with the throttle stop screw before because of previous wierd idling problems after the VI installl, could this be causing the code?

Also, i have a 95 FED spec ECU in the car that i put in after i did my 5spd swap, could the production date difference in that ECU compared to the prod date of the new TPS cause the code?

This problem has been driving me NUTS! And i am running out of ideas...Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Have you calibrated tps?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by nitink
Have you calibrated tps?
"The REAL problem is this consistent TPS code, i have tried a spare TPS i had that i found, as well as my originall calilbrating them each time following the writeup on the stickies. Even with my new TPS i still get this code!"
Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any problems with the car stalling, or acting wierd because of the TPS ??

If the car feels normal, you may want to invest in another ECU and swap it iny your car. If it bothering you that much, it might be worth the $70-$100 for a used ECU

-matt
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Kevlo for President

Already found the problem yday on aim. Maybe I should post it too
Old 04-27-2007, 11:23 AM

There is a tsb for tps installation. It says that if you don't calibrate tps with feelar gauge, you can get p0120 & p1705 or both codes.
I have faced this situation before but in my case New tps (from pinnacle nissan) was bad, neatly at 3000 rpm tps output voltage went to 0 . You can test tps with analog multimeter and see if there are any dead spots
Old 04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Kevlo for President

His problem is most likely due to the different ECU. Early 95 ecu's/manual 95's had a SINGLE connecter TPS and he is useing a 2connector TPS.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
His problem is most likely due to the different ECU. Early 95 ecu's/manual 95's had a SINGLE connecter TPS and he is useing a 2connector TPS.
Well i got the one plug TPS for a fed spec maxima...AND a new EGRTS, since it was giving me a funny reading...

Well the CEL went off for LONGER than normal...so i thought i would take it to get smogged...i drove it around for nearly 45 minutes...stoping..and restarting the car about 4-5 times...everything seamed kewl...i even restarted it again infront of the smog shop...then as soon as its rolling on the dyno...the fuggin thing turned on....i passed everything with flying colors...exept for that the CEL was on...i think im going to just take out the light for the CEL and re smog tomarow...then i gota go back to fix this problems...

as for getting a new ECU, i guess this is the next thing to do....i have looked everywhere for a cali spec 5spd ECU (that will match my max's production date of 2/95) and i cant ever find one for less than 150 bucks...i guess i just gota dump out the cash for one....sigh....

but the same codes are back so i guess its for sure the fed spec ECU...but i dont c why the TPS would still be giving me problems since i GOT a fed spec one....WTF?!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 PM

keep in mind a code just points to a general area of the problem. my guess would be that if you calibrated the tps each time and its still doing it than it has something to do with you messing with the idle screw. maybe the way you fixed your wierd idle (w/ screw) wasnt the right way?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by willard00
keep in mind a code just points to a general area of the problem. my guess would be that if you calibrated the tps each time and its still doing it than it has something to do with you messing with the idle screw. maybe the way you fixed your wierd idle (w/ screw) wasnt the right way?
I thought this could be the problem also...but i really doubt it now that i think of it...when i had the 96 MT ECU (cali spec) i got EVAP codes ONLY (cali spec 96 had electronic EVAP canister purge valve, my 95 cali has mechanical) I never got these codes and this was after i had messed with that screw....

Im starting to think more and more that its the ECU...but still...even with a FED spec TPS, why would it be throwing that code? im really stumped on this one...

Im about to throw in the 96 cali spec ECU i have back in and c if i pull up these codes....If i just get EVAP like before then i KNOW its the FED spec ECU...but please add any ideas in the mean time
Old 05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Hella internets

Ok well i tried the correct production ECU, (cali spec)

And i got the same codes....

I have checked voltage and continuity in the harnesses in the engine bay and they are all up to par

I am really not understanding this, both sensors are NEW, i just bought them....At this point i am completely clueless...
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Kevlo for President

Edit...

As we talked online, they do share the same ground. Look in the 95 FSM on page EC-164 and EC-149. Check the wires in those diagrams that they share.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Edit...

As we talked online, they do share the same ground. Look in the 95 FSM on page EC-164 and EC-149. Check the wires in those diagrams that they share.
Well I just ran a ground from the EGR temp sensor directly to pin 43 on the ECU and took it for a test drive...the dam wire is running thru my driver window thru my hood right now. I just did the EGRTS wire and reset the ecu to c if it got rid of the EGRTS code, and so far neither of the codes have came up! Not holding my breath tho, ima drive it a bit more tomarow and MAKE sure. Then its back to the smog shop and PASSING! YAAA! then Y-pipe and test pipe back on, and time for EU tuning....im excited..

Thanks alot Kevlo for all your help, you have yet saved me again. This one was really trippin me out..
Old 05-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Kevlo for President

Man I really hope this fixes it. BTW, there is a hole in the firewall right behind the TB, it is a 10mm hole; use that when you rewire it for the smog.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Please update how it goes. It could be same issue with my car also
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Kevlo for President

Stop whoring to get to 15 or you will get banned
Old 05-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Hella internets

Well, my CEL came back on...on the way home. I went to check the codes (with no light, it was dark) and i accidentally reset the ECU....second time this has happened to me however i never soldered the connections as i was just running them thru the driver side window and thru the hood for the day to c if it even solved the problem, so im assuming that maybe the connection broke loose for a second since i just loosly wraped the wires together.

Im gona go on a lil mini drive right now and c if it comes back up...to be honest i wouldnt be suprised if its a new code...maxine just doesnt wana get smoged...either that or she is scared of what the new jumper harness, wideband, and EU that i have sitting waiting to be installed will do to her..haha

i guess she is scared to be tuned...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Hella internets

Ok well i just got back from the drive and it came back on. Well i got rid of the EGR temp sensor code but i pulled up my TPS code again, as well as 1003 (park/nuetral switch). I find it rather wierd since I never got the code untill now, and i had turbo95max do my 5spd swap a long time ago...Im not really understanding that code...hmmm ill have to research a bit.

as far as the TPS code being back on, i never tapped into the ground wire on the TPS since the EGRTS and TPS SHARE the same ground wire to the ECU, so im going to try to tap into the TPS ground on the same ground wire to the ECU but im starting to think that the sensor is actually just bad...Since i put on my old one and returned my new one...sigh.... lol
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Kevlo for President

Lol, back to the drawing boards
Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 AM

I have a constant TPS code as well. But mine fcks up the tranny and creates awful shifts. I've tried everything to fix the problem and it still won't go away. Let me know what happens with getting the tps code to go away.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:49 PM

My car has tps code from day 1 and I have tried numerous posts here and at nicoclub to get some sense out of them. I changed TPS sensor twice without any use
Some observations
0) for me TPS code always came with other codes, (KS or EGR once O2 also)
1) at least 2 sensors had dead spots at around 3K (+/- 200) rpm
2) TPS Calibrations definately makes big difference in shift quality.
3) I have 2 connector tps (one sensor & one i think is wot switch) I put in a additional direct ground from sensor (left most black wire) to cars chassis and since then shifts are fine, little bit on slower side but shifts ok.

Kelvo, I have about 157 posts, don't need whoring, its a genuine issue I am trying to resolve
Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by nitink

Kelvo, I have about 157 posts, don't need whoring, its a genuine issue I am trying to resolve
My bad I think I posted in the wrong thread
Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM

In my case I had tranny rebuilt from aamco after that tps code came. May be they left some wire open.
Did you had any work done on car after which TPS code came?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:39 PM

the 00vi swap seems to be something in common with my car and XeroX's car. Fine before, after the swap, not so much. I was thinking about that but nobody else with the swap had issues like this.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Hella internets

Well, i checked continuity and resistance on ALL related sensors that have to share linear voltage with the TPS...

1) CPS
2) MAF
3) IACV

All tested fine...one of the grounds i relocated after my VI swap, i ended up relocating to the timing chane cover, same place as the other ground i had to relocate after the VI swap (the two grounds on the ISIM) I also attached one of my hyper ground wires to it just 2 make the ground that much better....

cleaned off all my grounds and rebolted them all...

Replaced the CPS with a newer one out of the 2k motor i have in the back yard lol...

checked the wires i extended for the TPS, noticed i soldered the white wire onto the shielding that it has over the stock wire causeing it to be attached to a ground...got that disconected (thought it was causing the problem) but the code came back on...

Ive checked everything once twice and 3 times...

oh yea, and i also tried a NEW fed spec TPS (single plug tps) paired up with my 95 fed spec ECU, then tried TWO spare tps sensors (used) with my cali spec ecu....

Im pretty sure there were more things i tried i just cant remember at the moment...if ANYONE has any ideas PLEASE help me out...this problem seams completely unsolvable...