4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clutch opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
4th Gen Parts King

clutch opinions

I have a parts car that has a good trans and supposedly a newer clutch that i will be using in another car which has a bad trans. The car will be sold after all the work is done.

I'm having second thoughts about using the same clutch though.
I ovously can't tell the buyers it has a newer clutch.THe clutch looks and drove fine though. I know that its important (especially for higher mileage cars) to buyers that the car has a new clutch and will either make or break a deal.

So should i go for this clutch kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...spagenameZWDVW

Or spend another $100 and buy the 5th gen clutch, pp and throwout bearing?

I would also have to buy an alignment tool if i went with the 5th gen setup.

Or is there another clutch alternative?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That exedy one is a OEM replacement. I don't have any experience with it personally, but a close friend of mine used the same one (exedy stage 0) in his 92 SE-R and it worked great.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by ewuzh
That exedy one is a OEM replacement. I don't have any experience with it personally, but a close friend of mine used the same one (exedy stage 0) in his 92 SE-R and it worked great.
Dam i didn't realize that. This would be the correct one i would use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-01...spagenameZWDVW

From what iv'e heard is that the stage 1 disk is the same things as the 5th gen disk.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 AM

I am looking for the plug for a 95 Maxima fog light. The part where the bulb sits in is missing for some strange reason. Also the clip that holds the button in for the trunk release switch, if you have that in a tan color I would appreciate it. let me know.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by fanaticrockford
Dam i didn't realize that. This would be the correct one i would use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-01...spagenameZWDVW

From what iv'e heard is that the stage 1 disk is the same things as the 5th gen disk.
That's a great price for a Stage 1. It'll be plenty good enough for any bolt-on you throw at it.

EDIT: I just realized that isn't an Exedy. Exedy Racing Clutch Stage 1 is the good one to get.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 AM

anyone ever buy one of these clutch kits off of ebay?? just wondering about quality ...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 AM

help! i cant start my own thread!
my clutch just recently went out, wondering what a good replacement one would be, i also had this strange power chug at about 2300-3000 rpm, possibly the clutch slipping?
i also believe my engine could use some tuning, shes got 160k, and i havent done much engine work. any suggestions?
ive got a y pipe back exhaust, ecu was upgraded before i installed it, should i have her rechipped?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by brokedownmax
help! i cant start my own thread!
my clutch just recently went out, wondering what a good replacement one would be, i also had this strange power chug at about 2300-3000 rpm, possibly the clutch slipping?
i also believe my engine could use some tuning, shes got 160k, and i havent done much engine work. any suggestions?
ive got a y pipe back exhaust, ecu was upgraded before i installed it, should i have her rechipped?
Thanks.
exedy oem or stage one would be ya best bet or 5th gen clutch. ebay has them for around $130ish shipped or go to groupdeal forum and check out importcarspart exedy deal. i just bought the stage one tell you how it is once i get it on ...as far as ya engine get it tuned up asap spark plugs (ngk),oil change ,fuel filter, clean or replace ya egr valve,clean ya air filter if k&n or replace,check codes for knock sensor,oxygen sensors, clean ya battery terminals and replace pos and/or negative wires upon inspection, and clear all codes on the ecu
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 AM

ignition wires? replace the coils? how about my injectors? possibly swap em out for something better?
i had a code come up, but then it went away a week later..ill see if i can get someone with a scan tool.
also, where would i get just the k&n filter? i have the intake. or what should i clean it with?

thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by brokedownmax
ignition wires? replace the coils? how about my injectors? possibly swap em out for something better?
i had a code come up, but then it went away a week later..ill see if i can get someone with a scan tool.
no,no,no unless they are inoperable and/or damaged just to change them for something better is a no no for those items. i dont beleive are cars have ignitions wires just coil plugs,coils unless damaged (not firing) leave it alone, injectors unless your going forced induction or there damaged no need to replace them and you would only replace them for bigger injectors (costly too) so dont be so quick to switch parts before looking into them you will be spending alot of money . reset ya ecu with a flathead screw driver and see wat codes pop up and keeps the check engine light on then resolve those issues first. no need for scan tools wen you have the handy stickies

k&n filter you can get from any auto store like auto zone or pep boys or jsut get a filter from ebay and k& n cleaning kits come with the filter package i belive