4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Going to remove TB and IACV for cleaning, need to clarify some things

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Going to remove TB and IACV for cleaning, need to clarify some things

I know i need to replace the TB and IACV gaskets when i reinstall them, does anyone have part numbers ?

or should i just waltz in the dealership and ask for TB and IACV gaskets for my 97 ?

im only supposed to use TB cleaner on the TB and only Carb cleaner on the IACV is this correct ?

and i should not scrub the TB with anything but an old T-shirt cause i dont wanna scratch it up right ?

i will take pics as i do this hopefully with my dad this weekend if the KS (going to get that sucker done while the intake it out) comes on time going to order it today hopefully if i have time
Old 06-05-2007, 12:58 AM
blah

Get tb cleaner, shop towels, and gasket paper at your local auto store cut it to size and call it day. They call it a stealership for a reason, stay away at all costs.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 AM

anyone else ? i need to buy this stuff today guys
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
No more Maximas...

If you're gonna do the KS, you've gotta remove both upper and lower IM, which means the fuel rail as well, just to let you know.

TB cleaner for the TB, and really whatever for the IACV. If your old gaskets are okay, I'd just reuse them. Actually that is what I did when I painted my UIM/IACV, the metal gasket on the IACV was perfect and the paper TB gasket looked fine as well. No vacuum leaks or issues, and I've removed both the IACV and TB multiple times since then with no issues with leaks.

You can use a soft bristle brush on the TB, but scratching it won't be that big of a deal, just don't try to scratch it up to hell.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 AM

If you're gonna need to buy it today you will probably have to go with the dealership parts unless you follow Batxel's advice. The one on the IACV may be reusable like pmohr said and try not to rip the one on the TB. thats my only advice...

Oh, and you dont have to take off the Upper and lower IM to do the ks.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM

no im actually planning to do what everyone else has done, stick my hand up the devil's hole to replace the KS

so the IAC valve has a metal gasket, and the TB is paper, i might then reuse the IAC gasket, but stil lwant the TB one replaced, any part numbers or the dealer should know if i ask for it ?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
If you're gonna need to buy it today you will probably have to go with the dealership parts unless you follow Batxel's advice. The one on the IACV may be reusable like pmohr said and try not to rip the one on the TB. thats my only advice...

Oh, and you dont have to take off the Upper and lower IM to do the ks.
True, but to do it properly you do. When he said 'with the intake off', I assumed UIM, not the intake plumbing.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pmohr
If you're gonna do the KS, you've gotta remove both upper and lower IM, which means the fuel rail as well, just to let you know.

TB cleaner for the TB, and really whatever for the IACV. If your old gaskets are okay, I'd just reuse them. Actually that is what I did when I painted my UIM/IACV, the metal gasket on the IACV was perfect and the paper TB gasket looked fine as well. No vacuum leaks or issues, and I've removed both the IACV and TB multiple times since then with no issues with leaks.

You can use a soft bristle brush on the TB, but scratching it won't be that big of a deal, just don't try to scratch it up to hell.

With respect to the actual function of the knock sensor, replacing it in the proper manner is crucial in order ofr it to perform optimally.

This requires the removal of the UIM & LIM. The reason for this is so that you can use a torque wrench in order to properly torque it down to the engine block.

Having all this room also enables you to clean the surface to where it is going to make contact with the block.

If all these steps are taken, the sensor will be able to do its job much better. And given the metrics as to how the KS works, proper torquing should be considered of utmost importance.

Originally Posted by pmohr
I assumed UIM, not the intake plumbing.
I stopped, thought about it, and then went ahead and assumed he meant tubes/piping and other misc. items. Reason being, 98.97% of the members on here do not do it properly. I used to be one
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 PM

well yeah thats what nissan recommends, but i dont feel like taking all that stuff apart. just gona hand tighten with slight force, if i can even get my hand in there, that little hole looks intimidating, but it should be easier with the intake, tb, hoses, and some connectors off.

any tips on all this iacv, tb cleaning and KS removal ? i have gathered info but anything else will help.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM

when my shop was doing the work, they removed both the UIM and LIM. They also fixed a valve cover leak and the knock sensor while they were @ it.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM

...oh and i got all the gaskets from courtecy nissan (but i know you don't wanna wait for the delivery) I'd rather spend some $$$ and make sure that i won't get any vacumm leaks after this cleaning.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM

ordered the gaskets for the TB and IACV just now from ALTA nissan richmond hill (local) got a can of carb cleaner and TB cleaner which was on sale, and placed an order for a KS earlier today

gaskets will arrive tomorrow, KS on Thursday, me and my dad will do this on Saturday...cant wait

PS: The parts manager was cool - i mentioned i am a member of the Toronto Maxima Enthusiasts Club (TMEC) and he gave me a discount on the gaskets, which were not expensive anyways, but still the more i save the more gas i can guy and drive more
Old 06-05-2007, 01:35 PM

awesome
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Guess what i got today

the KS shipped a day earlier then i paid for, not bad, looks OEM made in Japan with nissan logo carved on it. carb and TB cleaner was both on sale, and i got a discount on the gaskets since i am a TMEC member, very very not bad, been trying to get the KS for a while now...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 PM

yay!!!