4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ok. Seriously. Getting the light off the plastic on the 95/96 ClearTAILS!!!!!HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 02:15 PM

Im SO damn sick of this!!!
I just sat out side for a good 10 minutes with a heatgun trying to open up the all clear tail lights so that i can paint the damn things. I CANT get it open. I tried the hotest setting and it started to melt the plastic and then the lower setting just makes it hot but i still can't pry the lens apart so i cant paint!! What the hell is up with this.
Old 07-15-2001, 04:57 PM

er?

It's really hard man, it'll take you a good 25 minutes to do it, and when you do it, you have to be CAREFUL!

Go around the edges a good 20-25 times with the heat gun, and every couple of times, pry it apart, maybe 1mm worth of distance .. keep repeating, and eventually you'll have it lifted apart 1/4" .. after that, it ain't too hard..
Old 07-15-2001, 06:41 PM
Banned

i was in the same position 2 weeks ago and found out a great and easy way to take them off in 5 mins.... put the taillight in the oven....yes the oven.... at 250 degrees for 2.5 mins. Then take it out and take a screwdriver to take the tabs off the four corners..... get your fingers int the side and gently pull..... once one corner starts to come undone.... go to the opposite corner... be real careful or they will crack. Then it will be loose enough to pull off.... you will have the is black goop everywhere. then all you have to do to put them back together once they are painted is put back in the oven and the glue will stick back together.
Old 07-15-2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Ryan93SE
i was in the same position 2 weeks ago and found out a great and easy way to take them off in 5 mins.... put the taillight in the oven....yes the oven.... at 250 degrees for 2.5 mins. Then take it out and take a screwdriver to take the tabs off the four corners..... get your fingers int the side and gently pull..... once one corner starts to come undone.... go to the opposite corner... be real careful or they will crack. Then it will be loose enough to pull off.... you will have the is black goop everywhere. then all you have to do to put them back together once they are painted is put back in the oven and the glue will stick back together.
Thats sounds like a really scary idea. Those suckers cost me 130 dollars. Anyone else try this??
Old 07-15-2001, 06:56 PM
Banned

im dead serious..... it works... 2.5 mins in the oven at that low of a temp is no diffrent thana heat gun.... no melting at all.... i got the idea from ben AKA MZMTG.. he did this on his headlights..... if you do this and then are careful pulling them apart... you will not ruin them. Its better than pulling on them like i did for 2 hrs almost breaking them several times

also if you think this is scary...wait till you start to paint them red and find out how hard it is to make them match and that you might really ruin those 130 lights.....i wouldnt want to do it again
Old 07-15-2001, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Ryan93SE
im dead serious..... it works... 2.5 mins in the oven at that low of a temp is no diffrent thana heat gun.... no melting at all.... i got the idea from ben AKA MZMTG.. he did this on his headlights..... if you do this and then are careful pulling them apart... you will not ruin them. Its better than pulling on them like i did for 2 hrs almost breaking them several times

also if you think this is scary...wait till you start to paint them red and find out how hard it is to make them match and that you might really ruin those 130 lights.....i wouldnt want to do it again
Now your really scaring me =(
Hehe. Its that hard to paint them, eh? How many coats did you end up using? Can i see some pics?
Old 07-15-2001, 08:48 PM
Banned

i found it was kinda hard to make them match perfectly.... first i sprayed to first coat on them and it ran... so them i just kept spraying over it untill it wasnt that noticable. Then i put a total of like 5 coats on it... this is too much.. 4 would have been perfect.... my advice is each time you put a coat on hold the back up to it and take it out ot your car to make sure the color close..... my taillights are slightly darker and less transparent than the OEM ones... but unless you are REALLY looking you wont notice
Old 07-15-2001, 10:16 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Im SO damn sick of this!!!
I just sat out side for a good 10 minutes with a heatgun trying to open up the all clear tail lights so that i can paint the damn things. I CANT get it open. I tried the hotest setting and it started to melt the plastic and then the lower setting just makes it hot but i still can't pry the lens apart so i cant paint!! What the hell is up with this.
listen man.. i dont know about putting them in the friggin oven, but i did mine just by painting the outside of the lens. i think your asking for problems by opening them up, cause remember, u gotta close them water tight... i never heard of anyone having to take them apart, just tape it up and paint the outside. use the heatgun on a mid setting to dry the coats. dont put the gun too close or set it too hot, just a light " brushing" motion will speed up the dry time.. took me 9 coats to match the color perfecty. and it would be a good idea to leave the paint on the top of the stove or a toaster oven to warm it up. it thins out the paint so it doesnt spray on blotchy. as far as people telling you the paint will chip or fade or some **** like that, i did mine about 3 months ago and there fine. thats with me goin through a carwash too. do yourslef a favor, dont open them. heres a pic of mine.. the red looks a lil bit lighter than the stock light in here put trust me, its only cause of the flash, they match perfect.

Old 07-15-2001, 10:19 PM
KCTYPHOON

heres another pic of them..

Old 07-15-2001, 11:38 PM

Paint?

Won't paint make them opague, and render the turn signal useless? Can you take a picture of them in use?

Thanks!

MaXXX
Old 07-16-2001, 05:23 AM

wow that does seem to match up damn near perfect. But yeah, what about the turn signals? NOt having to take the damn things apart would be very nice!
Thanks
Old 07-16-2001, 08:10 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
wow that does seem to match up damn near perfect. But yeah, what about the turn signals? NOt having to take the damn things apart would be very nice!
Thanks
i dont understand what your asking me.. and when u paint them you have to use tail light paint.. its like 27 bucks for a can at streetbeat.com. but still, i dont get what ur asking as far as the turn signals.can you be a little more specefic? then mabye i can help you more.

Old 07-17-2001, 09:30 PM

I know you guys are just trying to do it your self but I dont think its worth the risk so the best thing you can do is order a pair from David Lau which I did or send your all clear and he will open it and paint them. Trust me got mines 3 weeks ago and they are beautiful he did a great job
Old 07-17-2001, 09:57 PM

i thought David Lau stopped doing them

know anything about that. how much did it cost. how long did it take
Old 07-17-2001, 11:51 PM

What do you mean by "painting red" ?? Don't you have to paint the orange part white?

also if you think this is scary...wait till you start to paint them red and find out how hard it is to make them match and that you might really ruin those 130 lights.....i wouldnt want to do it again [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 07-18-2001, 10:01 PM

I paid $160 which includes shipping but that was a group deal he had last month but he orderd extras just incase so e-mail him at DAavidl7@earthlink.com
Old 07-18-2001, 11:18 PM
KCTYPHOON

oh boy...

Old 07-19-2001, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by bolido2000
What do you mean by "painting red" ?? Don't you have to paint the orange part white?

[/B][/QUOTE]

How do you figure painting the orange turn signal will give you that clear look? And what would you use on it? White paint? Only thing it will do is totally block the turn signal so you can no longer see it anymore...thus rendering them useless.