4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Me Decide! D2 VS Ksport Vs GC With Konis

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Help Me Decide! D2 VS Ksport Vs GC With Konis

After much reading on here and other car sites I finally came down to these three. Each have their pros and cons but I was having trouble deciding on which ones to go with. I used to have Ksports and GC's.

The GC's rode great but during hard turns the car seemed to skip over the pavement causing me to feel like I was going out of control. The suspension travel issue kinda gets to me since I want a moderate drop which is about 2 1/2 finger gap.

Ksports were great all around and I would've gotten them again but now I'm hearing too many people who barely just got theirs blowing out and having all types of noise issues etc...

D2's after a whole crap load of searching the only complaint I heard about these were the noises they used to make due to the allen wrench locking collar that contols the drop. However I looked on their site and it looks like they switched their design to the ksport collar. I've only heard one person report a blowout on these and that was after 3 years of driving them year around.

After going to each site and checking out their design and features. I'm kinda leaning towards the D2's. So can you Ksport, D2, GC owners and suspension gods please help me to make the best choice? Oh and my goals are mostly perfomance and decent reliability. I don't mind stiff at all and they will be mostly be street driven with the occasional track run.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
After much reading on here and other car sites I finally came down to these three. Each have their pros and cons but I was having trouble deciding on which ones to go with. I used to have Ksports and GC's.

The GC's rode great but during hard turns the car seemed to skip over the pavement causing me to feel like I was going out of control. The suspension travel issue kinda gets to me since I want a moderate drop which is about 2 1/2 finger gap.

Ksports were great all around and I would've gotten them again but now I'm hearing too many people who barely just got theirs blowing out and having all types of noise issues etc...

D2's after a whole crap load of searching the only complaint I heard about these were the noises they used to make due to the allen wrench locking collar that contols the drop. However I looked on their site and it looks like they switched their design to the ksport collar. I've only heard one person report a blowout on these and that was after 3 years of driving them year around.

After going to each site and checking out their design and features. I'm kinda leaning towards the D2's. So can you Ksport, D2, GC owners and suspension gods please help me to make the best choice? Oh and my goals are mostly perfomance and decent reliability. I don't mind stiff at all and they will be mostly be street driven with the occasional track run.
you had ksports? If you want reliability, go with springs/struts...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah I had ksports but sold them to catch up on bills. It was a stupid decision but now i'm debt free and looking for new setup. Reliability is important but performance is more important to me. So far I'm really liking the D2 over the ksports.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 PM

OP did you have any problems with Ksports? If not why not just go back to them...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Hooooooonda.....

go with boss chens if still available. KSPORTS are crapolla...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Custom User Title

I have D2's on my beater right now. They suck *****. Big ones.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
OP did you have any problems with Ksports? If not why not just go back to them...
No problems with ksports but now all I hear is that they are crap etc which is scaring me away from them.

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
go with boss chens if still available. KSPORTS are crapolla...
I was thinking about those as well but I heard they take forever to get. Did you have ksports? What problems did you have with yours?

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I have D2's on my beater right now. They suck *****. Big ones.
How long have you owned these? What kind of problems are they giving you?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 PM
VIP Maxima

ksports here with no problems. 2 full years

Old 06-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Schnell kaputt

Also check out Progress coilovers. Awesome.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
How long have you owned these? What kind of problems are they giving you?

For about 2 months, I bought the car like that. The ride is simply way too harsh. It's like riding on horse back.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:05 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I had GCs with Konis for almost 100K miles, no problems other than front shock cartridge would rust out inside the OEM housing- no matter how well it was sealed out. They would blow out on me every year or so.... I drove on the setup for almost 3 winters. I like my FLTA2 JICs better thou.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:41 AM

I had D2s for awhile and the performance was awesome. I had the old style allen bolt adjusters but had no problems with them. I got rid of them because they were too stiff for me (I'm a wuss). I have always heard that it's a toss up between D2 and Ksport because they run the same shock. I have never heard anything good about Ground Control, they are not even a true coilover system.

I would go with D2 or Ksport. Worst case scenario you blow a shock on the Ksports, an extra $100 for a replacement is still way cheaper than JICs.

I know you didn't mention these, but I think the Boss Chens are worth the wait and if I ever go back to coilovers, they are what I will be getting for sure.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

I take it you're not going for a super-low drop or a certain look. That is good. It's also good that you're in California because that means reliability shouldn't be a problem (knock on wood).

My first choice would definitely be Progress coilovers. Those are probably the best all-round coilovers you can buy.

Next, it's a toss-up between GC/Koni and Ksport. The GC/Koni setup would definitely absorb small bumps better because Konis are WAY more sophisticated than Ksport's dampers. On the flip side, Ksports will give you better body control if you set them up correctly because the springs are stiffer and the dampers are much more closely matched to them. Ksports also come with camber plates, which is a plus.

D2s are very very similar to Ksports, so they will have generally the same advantages and disadvantages. One thing they have is that nice coating on the threads so you don't have to wire brush them every few months to prevent the adjustment mechanisms from rusting and freezing. The downside, as you read, is that those Allen bolts are kind of a poor way to secure the lower mount: they make noise if you undertighten them and might break if you overtighten them. By contrast, Ksport's method of securing the lower mount is basically invulnerable to anything but a saw or a blowtorch.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by sooner02r1
I have never heard anything good about Ground Control, they are not even a true coilover system.
You do know that even a stock setup is a "coilover" suspension right....

I would look into Boss Chen, Progress, Tein Basic, and JIC.

Your comment about the GCs is interesting. My car has never been more solid over bumps and transitions (I have been on D2 and Tein/AGX) than it is now on 380/325 GCs. I really think my slightly higher ride height is the main factor in this though.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Conecarver

Another vote for Cattman/Progress since you're looking for a pretty good drop! Mine are 3yrs old and working fine.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
retired moderator

Only 15 responses on this topic in a full week.....

I'm going to move this thread to the 4th gen forum where you might get some more visibility, since suspension setups are different for all the different gens and what applies to a 3rd gen or 6th gen may not hold true for your car.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Love my D2's 9kg front 7kg rear (just incase your wondering)