4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some SERIOUS help. Put on your techie hat and help a brother out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Need some SERIOUS help. Put on your techie hat and help a brother out!

Car: 1997 Maxima SE
Problem: Cranks but won't start.
Work Done: Had a problem engine before and so had the engine replaced. Prior to that, the previous engine had spark problems so we replaced pretty much everything we can think of related to ignition. Threw in the towel and thought to just replace the engine. Replaced the engine and still no spark. Replaced ECU as well.

Can you guys think of absolutely ANYTHING I can do to resolve this. I'm down a lot of money in this car and am so close to just cutting my losses and selling it off as is.

Again, old engine had ignition issues. Tried everything. Replaced engine in a last ditch effort. Still no spark!!! All advice is welcome. Even if you think it's obvious, just throw it out there since I might have simply overlooked it.

Thanks in advance, gentlemen.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:54 PM

so your previous engine has starting problems so you replaced it and now the newer engine has the same starting problems still?

didnt see you mentioned no spark. check the harness for a short/damage.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Can't Catch Me
Work Done: Had a problem engine before and so had the engine replaced. Prior to that, the previous engine had spark problems so we replaced pretty much everything we can think of related to ignition. Threw in the towel and thought to just replace the engine. Replaced the engine and still no spark. Replaced ECU as well.

Can you guys think of absolutely ANYTHING I can do to resolve this. I'm down a lot of money in this car and am so close to just cutting my losses and selling it off as is.

Again, old engine had ignition issues. Tried everything. Replaced engine in a last ditch effort. Still no spark!!! All advice is welcome. Even if you think it's obvious, just throw it out there since I might have simply overlooked it.

If it still is a problem with a different engine, the problem is likely a break in the wiring harness or related upline component.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:25 AM

wow. Isn't that a *****. If you are getting no spark check the wiring harness like the other guy said. It is probally a cut wire of some sort.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:28 AM

did you check/test or replace the various cam/crank sensors?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 AM

Did you check all the ground wires? Run a ground wire from the starter to the tranny. 4 guage.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:38 AM
<3's the all motor section

Originally Posted by speed racer
Run a ground wire from the starter to the tranny. 4 guage.
this is good advice! since your engine doesnt crank or anything.

but seriously. as other people have said, i would check for power going to the crank and cam sensors, i would change the crank and cam sensors. its probably one of those. also, scan the ecm for codes, might be a clue also.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:11 PM

The engine does, in fact, crank just fine. Just doesn't start. There is no spark. So from what I've read, I should investigate the wiring harness? Any particular part of it? Which sensor would the break in the wiring be from? How big of a task would it be to replace the harness? How much does it cost brand new? Is it safe to put in a junk yard harness?

Any and all other suggestions are very much welcome. I knew you guys would have good advice for this. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:46 PM

I'd start your testing right at the source and work outwards. I take it you've replaced your coils if you weren't getting spark (you said you've swapped a lot of parts out but didn't give a list as to what). I'd use a multimeter or test light to see if you're actually getting power to your coils, and if not, then you know the problem is power delivery to the coils (i.e. your wiring like everybody else is suggesting here). If this is the case then you just trace back until you find a broken wire and or bad grounds.

Next...can I ask what you've done in terms of testing to determine you don't have spark? Did you pull pull out a plug and crank and/or use an inline spark tester? If not make sure you don't have a fuel problem, since obviously replacing engines still won't do you any good if you're not getting fuel to them! Also check your cam and crank sensors as suggested, although either of those should throw a check engine light. Check for codes anyway
Old 06-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

havent posted in months but,
I think you are going the right way about this. Was the new engine working before it went in, if so, the engine side sensors and wiring should be fine. If there isn't fault code coming up, I would be checking the wiring coming from the car side of the sensor plugs. There may be a direct short to earth on one of these. The engine ( the JDM ones anyway ) will fire with most of the sensors disconected but it will only rev to 2500rpm ( I have tried this, will fire and run badly ). Is it possible the 2nd ECU is dead? This could explain things if you aren't getting any codes. Has the ECU plug come out at one end?

Sorry to babble, just some thoughts.

Kyle
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Can't Catch Me

Check your fuel pump. I had a same problem with my 2002 jeep grand cherokee. It would crank but nothing after that. So I replaced the fuel pump and bammm in one start.