4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AC on/lights on= RPM goes down

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Blown

AC on/lights on= RPM goes down

Would my IACV cause this? I have noticed this ever since I have had the car and it is more noticable now that I have an 00VI. When I turn on my head lights my idle drops about 100-200 rpm, when I turn my AC on it drops about 100 more than when turning the lights on. Some times when I clutch the car the car will die if I have the AC on. Its getting pretty annoying and dangerous. What would cause this? MY IACV is clean so that is not the problem, but it may not be working properly. Does anyone have experience with this? These problems are happening on my 1995 Maxima.

Also when I crank the car it does not do the high idle until the engine starts to warm up, it just does the normal idle. Also the car sometimes has trouble cranking when its warm. The revs will rise then go to nothing if I do not keep my foot on the gas.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Sounds like your alternator is on it's way out...

everything seems to point towards your alternator.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Dexter
Sounds like your alternator is on it's way out...

everything seems to point towards your alternator.
why do you say that? It charges the battery fine.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 AM
VIP Maxima

alternator is about to go toast. have it checked out at autozone and save yourself a battery too. once your bearings inside go really bad, it will whinne like an S/C

another way u can make sure is to turn on the lights and rev the engine in neutral. see if the lights get a bit brighter, if they do, alternator for sure.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Blown

I hear what you guys are saying. But what does the alt. have to do with the car idoling low when I turn the acessories on? This has been happening for over a year. My thinking is that if it was the alt. then it would have been dead by now. I have been on the same battery for over a year too.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 AM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by cardana24
I hear what you guys are saying. But what does the alt. have to do with the car idoling low when I turn the acessories on? This has been happening for over a year. My thinking is that if it was the alt. then it would have been dead by now. I have been on the same battery for over a year too.
the alternator is not charging the battery right, either over charging or undercharging. it slowly dies, mine took 3 months to die from when it started to make noise/smoke. all your accessories draws extra electricity from the battery. your a/c steals a lot of engine power/rpm too !

Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Blown

I have had many alts fail in my life time and they have never affected the idle of my car. I will have it check next time I am in Advanced. I really do not think that is the problem though.

What tells the engine to increase idle speed when acessories are on? I think what ever is incharge of that function is bad or is not hooked up properly.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Which TB did you use on the 00VI swap? Still using the fast idle switch that kicks in with the AC and PS. Does your idle drop when turning the steering wheel too?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by jmeister
Which TB did you use on the 00VI swap? Still using the fast idle switch that kicks in with the AC and PS. Does your idle drop when turning the steering wheel too?
I used the 4th gen TB with the swap with a SM adaptor. I am not sure what fast idle switch you are talking about (I'm going home now and I will check my haynes manual but I doubt there is anything about it in there), but that's exactly whats going on with the car. Any time any extra load is put on the car the idle goes down when it is supposed to go up a few hundred RPM. Yes the idle drops when turning the wheel.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM

The IACV controls the high idle for accessories like a/c, ps, etc, not the fast-idle cam, that is for cold starts. Make sure that the hose running from your iacv adaptor to upper intake is as short as possible.......
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
The IACV controls the high idle for accessories like a/c, ps, etc, not the fast-idle cam, that is for cold starts. Make sure that the hose running from your iacv adaptor to upper intake is as short as possible.......
That's what I was messing with today. its about 6"s long. I am pretty sure that is much shorter than most people have. I tried hooking up another IACV on the car that had a much longer line attached to it, and I could not keep the car running with out pushing the gas. I really think it is something with how the IACV is hooked up. Are most people with 00VI swaps having trouble with this?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Oh it deffinitly is, I learned that from Matty, and to some extent my own personal experience. About most people with oovi swaps having issues.......yes and no, for some reason it appears some have it much worse than others, at least with the cold start issues, I think that the condition of the iacv might play a role in that, however I can't assure that since I know of one person who had the most horrible cold/warm starts in the world even with a new iacv, his problem was only solved by using an adaptor that mounted the iacv directly between the TB and intake, so try to get it real close, peel the harness back and consider trying a different vacuum port if need be.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Blown

I tried some stuff tonight and I used a smaller hose to fit my fitting better, it it's worse. the car is warm idling around 400 rmp now. Before I changed this it was around 600. Is the IACV possibly not getting enough air to preform properly? I think I am going to try putting an over sized hose on it with good clamps and see if this helps at all. it seems as if the IACV is not getting enough air and it is not being able to function properly. Has anyone done any research on the size hose being used for the IACV connection to the manifold?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
the alternator is not charging the battery right, either over charging or undercharging. it slowly dies, mine took 3 months to die from when it started to make noise/smoke. all your accessories draws extra electricity from the battery. your a/c steals a lot of engine power/rpm too !

your a/c steals a lot of engine power/rpm too ![/QUOTE]

yea that happens to me when i turn on my ac it happens to alot of cars if not all my moms focus was like that when you turned on the A/C you would get very slow accerlation most of the time the a/c takes some of your gas and power like VIP was saying.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
your a/c steals a lot of engine power/rpm too !

yea that happens to me when i turn on my ac it happens to alot of cars if not all my moms focus was like that when you turned on the A/C you would get very slow accerlation most of the time the a/c takes some of your gas and power like VIP was saying.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. I realize the AC takes some power. I am fine with that. You have systems built into you car to compensate for the extra strain the acessories cause. The idle is supposed to so up or stay the same when you use acessories...not go down. Once again my problem is that my idol is going down when I turn on acessories.

Also something else that I should mention is that when I loosen the screw on the IACV to let more air in my idle does not go up like it should, but before I did the manifold swap with the adaptor the IACV screw could lower or raise my idle.