4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tokico illuminas or S-teins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM

Tokico illuminas or S-teins?

Mad confused, dont know what to do. I want a nice drop and want it to handle good.

Either tokicos illuminas or stein springs and tokico struts.

What ya'll say about both of them? Which one is better? Pros/cons?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
retired moderator

this is a question for the 4th gen forum, not advanced suspension. Check your 4th gen stickies

moving....
Old 06-19-2007, 05:14 PM

im confused man. Illuminas are struts. So im confused to what you are asking. But ill give you the word on the s-techs.

They are one of the lowest drops, looks pretty good, but does sit a little high in the rear. BUT the maxima has very limited suspension travel to begin with, i think its like 4" on stock springs. So now figure the s tech drop is 2.2". Well you can do the math. IT doenst leave you much room to play with, now you can cut the bumpstops, but thats never recommended. You will find the s-techs will give you a harsh ride, and you will almost be riding on the bumpstops once you lower the car to the ground if you dont cut the bumpstops.

If you want the low drop, go for coilovers. If not i wouldnt drop the car more then 2". Perferably, progress, eibach, or H&R springs.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:04 PM

i would go with the illumina struts paired with eibach springs for a decent drop if your wanting a nice low drop..go with coilovers...tein's will lower the car beyond means...you will blow your struts out in a few months with the tein spings
Old 06-19-2007, 07:57 PM

I see I see, but what kind of coilover are there thats out? I want to do something relatively cheap, not like spend a grand or something.

I was simply just thinking Tokico illuminas strut/spring combo. The kinds u can get on ebay. Hows the drop and ride on that? Check my post in the members ride section for pics of my car. As u will see, it litereally is competing againt SUVs.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=522028

People please! help me out, im in NEED and been researching for months! cant make up my mind!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 PM

I got this setup Tokico illuminas and S-teins they ride ok when they want but handling and racing conditions to me they hold me down, it is even proven by fellow members on the org. but to let you know they get real stiff it depends the setting you have on them...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 AM
R34

Gotta have adjustable strut if not, you're going to wear the tokico blues. One more thing, on the instruction for tokico illumina, it'll say that only supporting up 1.75 drop, since S Tech is 2.2 drop at the front, the suspension travel at the front will be different. Some say only hafl of the suspension travel.

Another thing is, with that wheels, you might need to roll your rear fenders. I have illumina/s-tech setup with the same wheel, it rubs off even with tokico setting up to 5. So i'm thinking to roll my rear fenders.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 AM
VIP Maxima

if you want real handling or real drop, get coilovers.

otherwise id choose S techs and Illuminas.

IMO we have multiple coilover options available to us nowdays that spring/strut should not be an option anymore. overall, i dont think they are worth the money because:

1)you dont get an even drop (you wont be happy at the end of the day anyway)
2)you dont get the same handling improvements as coilovers
3)you will have a bouncier ride that will rub and bounce more.
4)you dont have the freedom to adjust height.
5) you lose suspension travel

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
i has college

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
if you want real handling or real drop, get coilovers.

otherwise id choose S techs and Illuminas.

IMO we have multiple coilover options available to us nowdays that spring/strut should not be an option anymore. overall, i dont think they are worth the money because:

1)you dont get an even drop (you wont be happy at the end of the day anyway)
2)you dont get the same handling improvements as coilovers
3)you will have a bouncier ride that will rub and bounce more.
4)you dont have the freedom to adjust height.
5) you lose suspension travel
They are MUCH cheaper though. A quality, expensive setup like Illuminas + H&RS costs about $650, and a quality coilover set (BCs) ALONE costs $900.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Whats wrong with just a simple tokico illumina combo? (like the kind on ebay)
Ok i think coilover is out of the option cuz its just too much money.

So, im still not sure between choosing s-teins/illumina struts, or illumina combo.

here are some facts:
I live in the Northeast, mad snow and cold (thats why im not goin with AGX's)
I want a nice clean drop that will look good with my 18" g35
I want it to handle nice (not jump around over bumps like it currently does with stock SE suspension)
I usually have alot of ppl in my car, and got a JL W6 in the trunk ( i dont want rubbing)
Do i need a camber kit to protect my tires from wearin out faster?
Dont want a bouncy ride, more sporty and dont want the car to jump up and down like little civics

Which combination will satisfy these points above?
Thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well there is the Tokico Illumina Kit which is what I have. I didnt get it from ebay, got mine on a gd for, I cant remember if it was for 550 or 600 shipped. It comes with the Illumina struts and Tokico springs. A nice paired setup. I like the drop, and performance is lovely. Theyve very well paired liveable every day driving with the , if you need it performance its there, setup. I love it. For a reference of drop see my sig and cardomain homepage. I wouldnt mind it being just a tad bit lower though but I will be going with a front lip so itll justify me having this set up. There are before pics of the maxima stock as well so you can really see the difference. I have no system, factory Bose.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 95MaximaDriver
i would go with the illumina struts paired with eibach springs for a decent drop if your wanting a nice low drop..go with coilovers...tein's will lower the car beyond means...you will blow your struts out in a few months with the tein spings

you will not blow out your struts with s-tech's. maybe if you hit potholes all day or something? a couple of my friends have s-techs with stock struts, and they aren't close to being "blown out". I have them on AGX's on the set stiffness when they come out of the box. They are fine. Granted some people want more drop in the back, but the S-tech give a great look. I've drove down roads next to people for miles, come to a light and they'll tell me my car looks sick, etc..
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 PM

wow s-techs with stock struts lol...that is a pretty dangerous combination man.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
wow s-techs with stock struts lol...that is a pretty dangerous combination man.
can you elaborate using your own personal experiences?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Schnell kaputt

Any sort of drop on the Maxima is better than the stock height.

That said, going from H-Techs/Illuminas to S-Techs/Illuminas and then later to Progress coilovers I say save up more and get coilovers if you want a drop of 2" or more (assuming you're considering springs like S-Tech's, Sprints, CMS, etc). Ride quality alone is night and day. I didn't hit the bumpstops too much with the S-Techs but when I did it was like dropping your car 5 feet off the ground.

Maybe find a used set of coilovers or go for the Ground Control sleeves and shortened Konis. Then you can tune the height to whatever you want as I was never completely happy with the way the car sat when I had lowering springs. The only real disadvantage with coilovers (for me anyways) would be the rebuilding every few years.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM

progress / illumina's

ride quality is par with H&R's paired with illuminas, a more aggressive drop. cheaper too
Old 06-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Are the progress springs lower than the tokico springs?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 99MAXSE-L
Are the progress springs lower than the tokico springs?
yes 1.7f / 1.5r
Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ouzo99max
you will not blow out your struts with s-tech's. maybe if you hit potholes all day or something? a couple of my friends have s-techs with stock struts, and they aren't close to being "blown out". I have them on AGX's on the set stiffness when they come out of the box. They are fine. Granted some people want more drop in the back, but the S-tech give a great look. I've drove down roads next to people for miles, come to a light and they'll tell me my car looks sick, etc..
yeah it may look nice with s-techs and stock struts but your riding on the bumpstops and yeah a few potholes and yeah their gone..i wouldnt push it too much..some may have good personal experience with them on stock struts but ive heard and seen too many guys with blown struts from the s-techs but if their aftermarket struts make sure their adjustable and can handle the lower drop..
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 PM

good thing i read this b/c i almost bought some s. techs for my stock struts : )
Old 06-21-2007, 11:33 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by EnervinE
They are MUCH cheaper though. A quality, expensive setup like Illuminas + H&RS costs about $650, and a quality coilover set (BCs) ALONE costs $900.
said who? you can have ksport coilovers for about $700 shipped these days. even if the said quality BC's go for 900, thats only a $250 difference. in modding business, thats not a big difference for a night and day difference in suspension. do it once, do it right. as for me, id rather stay stock than spend $650 to drop my car .25"

and what is meant by ALONE?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 PM

since theres alot of knowledge and experience here/question/ I have tein springs/2 1/2 in.drop/tokico struts in the back/sorry i dont know exactly what model/they're black though/and stock se struts in front and want to stiffen the front a little/the back only feels a little firmer than the front/whew!! what strut would you recommend i try in front/are the gr2's firm enough/ i do want a relatively firm good handling car
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM

I have S-techs and AGXs, I wish I had spent the extra for coilovers. The S-techs look cool but that's it, ride and performance really suffer.

vofact ... sounds like you have stock struts (Tokico supplies OE struts for Nissan) Aftermarket Tokicos are either blue (HP) or white (Illuminas) GRs are stiff but if they are anything like the AGXs you'll hate them in the winter. i've found that the AGXs are very harsh when cold...... and I live in Florida. I would suggest the Illuminas, they are 5 way adjustable you can set them the way you want. I would also suggest replacing the S-techs with a better spring.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 AM

z 32 .thanks, so if want a car thats only a little stiffer than the se stock,but lower of course, what spring strut combo would you suggest/im thinking eibach spring/illumina/but what if I wanted a liitle lower drop than the eibach?and of course,I live in pgh/also, if my wheel is 17/8.5 and I wanted my wheels a little farther out like yours(they're sweet) I have 235"s/my backs need a little more offset than the front/I'm guessing about 20mm in front and 30-35 in back/what do you think?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Im definetly leaning now towards Tokico springs/strut combo. Its a nice drop and i heard all good about ride and handling.

I really hope i will feel a drastic change in handling so i can cut better on the highway. It feels like a big boat right now!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 PM

i've heard all good about eibach pro kit as far as a spring by itself and all good about the adjustible illuminas by them selves/so i think thats the best overall if you want,and the words the car magazines uses is perfect "firm yet compliant"!thats why I liked that better on my 95 more than my teins with stock se struts on my car now. you can fine tune the front vs back.I"ve also heard very good for the progress/ ilumina combo. from hearing others with EXPERIENCE, it seems to be between that and the eibach/ilumina combo. also,get the fst brace, it adds a solid front end feel to your car, and dont worry, you WILL feel a huge difference