4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tokico Suspension Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM

Tokico Suspension Replacement

I bought my 97 SE with tokico struts and red H&R springs (I think). they guys who installed them did a crappy job - no boots, no bump stops, missing strut housing bolts... 1/2-a$$ed job basically. So the suspension went bad.

I hear rattling, squeaking, knocking coming from it when going over ... speed bumps. horrible. I want to replace it. what do you think would be a good comfortable ride, with the same drop - about 1.5 inches, that will last me and the car some trips and won't bottom out like these did on every pothole.

thanks,
Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Tein H-Tech springs, Tokico Illumina struts. OEM strut bearings, KYB dustboots with integrated bump stops.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by MaximA VlaD
I bought my 97 SE with tokico struts and red H&R springs (I think). they guys who installed them did a crappy job - no boots, no bump stops, missing strut housing bolts... 1/2-a$$ed job basically. So the suspension went bad.

I hear rattling, squeaking, knocking coming from it when going over ... speed bumps. horrible. I want to replace it. what do you think would be a good comfortable ride, with the same drop - about 1.5 inches, that will last me and the car some trips and won't bottom out like these did on every pothole.

thanks,
Wow. That is one hell of an incompetently done suspension job.

I second phenryiv1's suggestion, with the possible amendment that you could keep your H&R springs if you want. They might be a little lower and a little firmer than the H-Techs, but not much.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Wow. That is one hell of an incompetently done suspension job.

I second phenryiv1's suggestion, with the possible amendment that you could keep your H&R springs if you want. They might be a little lower and a little firmer than the H-Techs, but not much.
I thought that H&Rs were black.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

You could be right.

Maybe they're Vogtland springs?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
I thought that H&Rs were black.

Same here last time I checked.

And you can do the install yourself and save your money. Takes about a hour (if that).
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by AllMaxxedOut
Same here last time I checked.

And you can do the install yourself and save your money. Takes about a hour (if that).
One hour to change out all the springs and struts? Maybe if you have them pre-assembled...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 PM

i have to do my axle anyway, so when my new raxle comes, i will do the susp. as well. Just doing research.

I though these red springs were H&Rs, but i guess i was wrong. I would keep them, but the paint is chipping off, so it might be time for them to go before they cause trouble.

I am looking for a bit softer ride - more comfortable. Sounds like H-Techs will be smoother than whatever i have. If the drop is almost the same, thats fine. I just didn't want to go back to stock unless I absolutely had to. Besides, stock is expensive new.

thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just to give you an idea it took me 4 1/2 to 5 hours to do my suspension swap. Thats with crappy air tools, I mean crappy too. I think is what you have are the Tokico springs.They come mostly with the Tokico Illumina kit. Which is what I have. I like the drop and performance its great. Most people on here dont have them, there are a select few including me. I like the ride. H-techs would be a better bet for you since you are wanting a softer ride. Here is a pic of the Tokico springs with the illuminas on my car after I installed them. So with air tools it will make the job tons easier and faster. I was blessed to even have what I had borrowed from my neighbor.

Here is the pic peeking through my rim.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM

It took me 2.5 hours with a buddy my first suspension swap. We had crappy air tools and he had done it on his 4th gen before.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:22 PM

just out of curiosity - if h-techs are softer, would that necessarily mean that there will be more "bounce" to the car? technically if the struts are good there should be no bounce, right?

as far as struts, on mine it says Tokico Gas Shocks. I don't have experience with them and don't know if these are illuminas. what's the avg. life expectancy for these? i live in New England with snow and rain and salt and mud on the roads - not favorable conditions for a sport suspension... I just don't want to wind up in the same boat i am in 2 years later.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Bad struts are what make the car bounce because you feel more of the spring action in the spring itself.Good struts will absorb and help control that action . The stiffness of the H-Tech spring will give you a softer ride than the Tokico springs. Plus Tokico gas struts are an upgrade from stock struts but still give you a nice OEM like feel. Tokico Illuminas are adjustable. Soft or stiff ride it will still absorb the bumps and what not from the road to give a good ride.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

just out of curiosity - if h-techs are softer, would that necessarily mean that there will be more "bounce" to the car? technically if the struts are good there should be no bounce, right?

as far as struts, on mine it says Tokico Gas Shocks. I don't have experience with them and don't know if these are illuminas. what's the avg. life expectancy for these? i live in New England with snow and rain and salt and mud on the roads - not favorable conditions for a sport suspension... I just don't want to wind up in the same boat i am in 2 years later.
What color are the struts? Tokico HPs are blue and tokico illuminas are white. With the drop of the Tokico springs (which might be what you have) either type of tokico struts should be warrantied, but before you make a warranty claim and say that they are blown, I would disassemble the setup and add in all of the missing parts. The suspension can only do its job when properly bolted to the car.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM

these are blue - HPs. previous owner put the susp. on - i don't think i can make a warranty claim, i dont have all the info.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

these are blue - HPs. previous owner put the susp. on - i don't think i can make a warranty claim, i dont have all the info.
You can always contact Tokico and ask...

Again, i woudl not be convinced that anything is blown until you get all of the parts off and actually install them correctly.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah, my pic has the white illuminas with the red tokico springs.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Tein H-Tech springs, Tokico Illumina struts. OEM strut bearings, KYB dustboots with integrated bump stops.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but where can I purchase these?

Thanks,
Danny