4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axle problems..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:58 PM

Axle problems..

I was evening out the coilovers the other day and when I drove the car afterwards I heard the infamous clicking sound. The sound only happens when I step on the gas. At first I thought I just had to grease up the K-Sports but I found out it wasn't that after doing it. Next thing to suspect would be the axle, especially with the sound that comes from it. My question is: Is there supposed to be any play on the axle? I got under the car and tried to move the axle back and forth and it shifts a little bit. I did the same to the passenger side axle and that one didn't move. If the axle is shot then it's time for some Raxles.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by QnzMax
I was evening out the coilovers the other day and when I drove the car afterwards I heard the infamous clicking sound. The sound only happens when I step on the gas. At first I thought I just had to grease up the K-Sports but I found out it wasn't that after doing it. Next thing to suspect would be the axle, especially with the sound that comes from it. My question is: Is there supposed to be any play on the axle? I got under the car and tried to move the axle back and forth and it shifts a little bit. I did the same to the passenger side axle and that one didn't move. If the axle is shot then it's time for some Raxles.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
usually it's the drivers side axle that goes out, it def looks like it's time for some raxles, my pair came in the mail today. Will put them in this weekend.
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:54 PM
maxima985spd

usually it's the drivers side axle that goes out,
NOT FOR ME PASSY FOR ME
Old 07-11-2007 | 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
NOT FOR ME PASSY FOR ME
That's why your better off shelling out for both of them, in case you were WRONG and the other one turned out to be done
Old 07-11-2007 | 08:14 AM
maxima985spd

the passenger side is a longer axle so when we lower our cars is fawks it up
Old 07-11-2007 | 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
the passenger side is a longer axle so when we lower our cars is fawks it up
I changed out my axles and lowered my Max and the suspension hasn't been right since. It's the passenger axle. I get alot of vibration in the pedal and what seems to be some sort of rubbing. It's all tied into the axles though.
Old 07-11-2007 | 08:09 PM

grab the axle and try to move it out of the trans and back in again.. .if there is any play..(other thank like 2mm) then it needs to be replaced
Old 07-11-2007 | 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
grab the axle and try to move it out of the trans and back in again.. .if there is any play..(other thank like 2mm) then it needs to be replaced
I did that and I would say there is more than 2mm of play. It moves enough where metal clanking is made. I was thinking of just getting the Raxles since I'll be be boosted again, as soon as I get my blower back from Vortech.
Old 07-11-2007 | 08:44 PM

if there is more than 2mm of play i would say its bad... it cant move too much
Old 07-12-2007 | 12:19 AM

QnzMax: make sure your axle bolt in ur hub is properly tightened, I'm not sure of what type of play ur talking about, but if car is lifted the axle will move slightly because of the up/down movement of susp.

Mikey: when ever I replace my axles, I always get an alligment. When removing lower bolts from strut and lowering- camb/cast needs adj for spec.
Old 07-12-2007 | 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxpeed96plat.
QnzMax: make sure your axle bolt in ur hub is properly tightened, I'm not sure of what type of play ur talking about, but if car is lifted the axle will move slightly because of the up/down movement of susp.

Mikey: when ever I replace my axles, I always get an alligment. When removing lower bolts from strut and lowering- camb/cast needs adj for spec.
I'm gonna tighten the axle bolt today. Do you think my vibration is coming from an alignment? The vibration is pretty bad. It's mostly in the pedal with and without load. I'm gonna check for play today. I don't think I have any though.
Old 07-12-2007 | 05:29 AM

QnzMax: make sure your axle bolt in ur hub is properly tightened
the axle nut holds the hub tight against the knuckle and bearing...

but if the axle starts to get to loose the wheel will move around like that...
Old 07-12-2007 | 06:49 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by mikey chalupa
I'm gonna tighten the axle bolt today. Do you think my vibration is coming from an alignment? The vibration is pretty bad. It's mostly in the pedal with and without load. I'm gonna check for play today. I don't think I have any though.
make sure it isn't your tires being out of balance or something.....and as far as axle play..the passenger side is bolted to the car, the driver's side is just held in with a stupid ring clip.....the cause for much wasted MT-90......
Old 07-12-2007 | 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dang makes me rethink about lowering my car.
Old 07-12-2007 | 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mikey chalupa
yes allignment..if it's only in the pedal it could be brakes, check; rotors for warp, sticking piston, etc.

edit- balancing only if it was doing it before work was done
Old 07-12-2007 | 10:13 AM

I think the problem is that the axle isn't in all the way. Somehow it came out and I need to put it back in. The same thing happened when the 5spd swap was first done.
Old 07-12-2007 | 02:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Are you auto or 5MT? If you grab it near the trans side, does it show a bit of free play?

Diff bearing issue is common on the A32's...
Old 07-12-2007 | 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I normally get some very light dull axle clicking in the morning when the car is still cold. When it's warmed up, I have no noises at all. This is my second set of raxles (yay for warranty), so don't buy them thinking these are some type of magical axle that doesn't click or go bad.
Old 07-12-2007 | 08:32 PM

yes allignment..if it's only in the pedal it could be brakes, check; rotors for warp, sticking piston, etc.

edit- balancing only if it was doing it before work was done
I'm gonna get an alignment. I already had the tires balanced. The guy told me that the tire may not be perfectly round, so I'm gonna switch the back wheels up front until my new tires come in. I figure I would replace them now.
I just replaced my rotors and pads about a month ago. I think I might have a sticking caliper. I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a cow and it hasn't been the same since. I think I'm gonna do the q45/cobra rotor upgrade.
Old 07-13-2007 | 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dexter
usually it's the drivers side axle that goes out, it def looks like it's time for some raxles, my pair came in the mail today. Will put them in this weekend.
How much did you pay for your including shipping, and where did you get them from?
My clicking is getting bad and i need to get to it soon!
Old 07-13-2007 | 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi im new to org and i have had the same problem on my 97. Its been like three times since ive had to replace my passenger side axle to that problem and it kepps coming back. I see you got ksports, i have same setup but i believe its the fact of being too dropped. Some people have told me that everytime they hear it.
Old 07-13-2007 | 08:53 PM

When you replicate that noise, can you give more detail on it?

Clicking would signify a CV issue.
Old 07-14-2007 | 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the clicking sound is the cv joint but what would cause this to happen continuously. like mine has been changed three times and it just went out again.
Old 07-14-2007 | 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by air_max
How much did you pay for your including shipping, and where did you get them from?
My clicking is getting bad and i need to get to it soon!
raxles.com shipping varies by location but total cost is a fraction of what it would cost to take it to the shop.
Old 07-14-2007 | 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by amkmax97
the clicking sound is the cv joint but what would cause this to happen continuously. like mine has been changed three times and it just went out again.
How low is your car? suspension travel might b an issue, is there oil getting on ur boot- oil breaks down the rubber boot faster.
Old 07-15-2007 | 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i dont know cause i never measured it but its low like qnzmax. i have 18s on now but before when i had the factory hubz with steelies my front bumper was 2 inches off the floor. i got the ksport adjustables. and no there is no oil leaks no rubber busted. I dont think there is much suspension travel cause i blew one strut already.
Old 07-15-2007 | 11:34 PM

i dont know cause i never measured it but its low like qnzmax. i have 18s on now but before when i had the factory hubz with steelies my front bumper was 2 inches off the floor. i got the ksport adjustables. and no there is no oil leaks no rubber busted. I dont think there is much suspension travel cause i blew one strut already.
You just answered ur own question, if ur blowing struts ur lowered like I am- I go through axles about 1 & 1/2 to 2 yrs and strut haven't had a prob yet. We're lowered enough to throw off the geometry that the suspension was designed for.

p.s.- you gotta pay to play, lowered looks good but requires bit more maintanance. Your gonna go through axles thats the price for the drop.
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:14 AM
maxima985spd

my front bumper was 2 inches off the floor
uuuummm NO
Old 07-17-2007 | 11:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

it cant be that i answered my own question cause the my first cv joint went out to make the clicking sound my car was at stock hight. At that time it was making the worst sound. I got some advice from a friend of mine that knows maxima from the back of his head and he told me that it could be that i need a wheel alignment.
Old 07-18-2007 | 12:22 AM

it cant be that i answered my own question cause the my first cv joint went out to make the clicking sound my car was at stock hight. At that time it was making the worst sound. I got some advice from a friend of mine that knows maxima from the back of his head and he told me that it could be that i need a wheel alignment.
A wheel alignment issue would most likely cause more stress on bushings, endlinks, tie rods, etc. -> not so much on your axle. IMO axle damage most likely occurs from suspension travel and someone who drives car hard- on corners, off the line, high rev, etc. Do as u please, cause an allignement won't be bad for your car, just get the allignment done at a perf shop that can deal with lowered cars, most of the common allign shops go with factory specs this includes height- they don't really play to much with compensation of height etc.