4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Factory bose stereo static?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:30 PM

Factory bose stereo static?

Some of you may already know that I own a 1999 Nissan GLE stock. I'm having a problem with the cd player though. My system does not have any static if i play a casette or the radio, but there is static when i play a cd in the cd player. Why is this? My Dad said that it needed to be clean so he stuck a cd in there that is supposed to clean it but we still hear the static. Any thoughts on it?

EDIT:Sometimes the cd won't skip to another song, it will just stop or say "error." Especially with the cleaner cd that we have used.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM

The Bose headunits are notorious for crapping out. Aftermarket is much more affordable and more reliable than the bose if you are experiencing problems with it. If you can't find a used bose at a price you like, I would start looking into aftermarket headunits.

Although I know you just bought your car less than 2 weeks ago, I would go back to the dealership and complain. Just me.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
The Bose headunits are notorious for crapping out. Aftermarket is much more affordable and more reliable than the bose if you are experiencing problems with it. If you can't find a used bose at a price you like, I would start looking into aftermarket headunits.

Although I know you just bought your car less than 2 weeks ago, I would go back to the dealership and complain. Just me.
I have the same problem. dont know what it is. Thinking of getting a aftermarket head unit, but i hear there are complications with the bose set up?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jattdemax
I have the same problem. dont know what it is. Thinking of getting a aftermarket head unit, but i hear there are complications with the bose set up?
I have read that replacing a bose unit sometimes would require rewiring for the bose speakers and even your radio antenna. However, it may be worth it. I already have an aftermarket cd player that is pretty nice from my Prizm that was totaled. I think I may go to Circuit City and have that installed. Thank for the input guys.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS

Well, the car was at 149k miles. At least the radio and the cassette is working fine. It all works out because I have this really nice cd player from my Prizm, and it would be great to have a part of that car in the Maxima. =P
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 AM

The HU is made by Clarion, not Bose. The Bose part, other than the Bose name on the cassette flap, is the amplifiers and the speakers. Inside the head unit, the CD player on top is plugged in to the pre-amp board below. Some of these connections may be getting oxidized. Just open the box, find the connections, unplug and then plug them back together and see if that helps.

I opened my box several times trying to fix the volume control. It is not that hard to work on it.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by SVI30
The HU is made by Clarion, not Bose. The Bose part, other than the Bose name on the cassette flap, is the amplifiers and the speakers. Inside the head unit, the CD player on top is plugged in to the pre-amp board below. Some of these connections may be getting oxidized. Just open the box, find the connections, unplug and then plug them back together and see if that helps.

I opened my box several times trying to fix the volume control. It is not that hard to work on it.

Alright I'll probably try that.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Get a bottle of spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack and use it on the connectors. While you have it apart, look for solder cracks around the larger solder joints.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:39 PM
wants an I35

Yea i have to agree with SVI on this. if the system is working with radio or a tape and not with a CD, i would guess its a connection problem. most likely somethign is just loose behind the stereo unit.
and a dirty cd lens wouldnt cause static, it would cause the cd to jump or not play at all. dont bother trying to clean it.
i had a similar problem in my accord, but it happened litterally 2 seconds after i hit a huge pothole, so i knew it was a connection problem. i just took the unit out and pushed the wire into the seating as best as i could and it was fixed.