4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my bro wants a 95 gxe, any problems to look for??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 03:25 PM

My bro brought over a 95 gxe auto the other night with about 91k miles. It was a clean good looking car.. He took it to the mechanic to be checked out and here is what they said it needed...

Front and rear struts- $410 parts $200 labor
Front brake pads and flush -parts plus $200 labor
4 wheel alignment - $90 labor
(I told him this one was bullsh1t because only the front wheels can be aligned and should only be 30 bucks..)

Spark plugs changed- $90 parts 70$ labor
(I said let em do that one because removing the intake manifold would be a biatch)

Fuel, tranny, air filters..
(Told him he can do them himself)

thermostat seal... (dont even know what that is)

Oil pressure switch...(dunno what that is either)

tranny flush and fill ( told him to do it himself again)

Hood struts - they wanted alot of money for this, Told him to do it himself it should be easy as hell.

The total for everything was about 1900 bucks and i thinkg alot of it can be done himself with my help. Is there anything else we should know about or look for on a 95 auto with 91k miles??? And what do you think about what they said needs to be done..
Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-28-2001, 03:36 PM

You should look out for the starter. Mine 96 maxie failed on me... But i ignored all the symptoms like the hard starts and sometimes i had to crank it twice to get the bad boy going... If you are going to pay 410 for struts... might as well get the koni ajustable for acouple of dollars more... and brake pads really aren't that hard to replace... i got ceramic pads all around that i believe that cost me like 100 or so... that alighment job is wack... you should slap the mecanic... I go to Good Year for alot of my stuff latley... Decent prices plus they give you a waranty on the labor and also the parts if you buy it from them... I got my car re-aligned 3 times in the past 2 months... I was looking at bosh +4 and they are only 6 dollars a piece... and install is fairly east too... I would just go and buy the haynes manual... Save yourself some money...
Old 07-28-2001, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
My bro brought over a 95 gxe auto the other night with about 91k miles. It was a clean good looking car.. He took it to the mechanic to be checked out and here is what they said it needed...

Front and rear struts- $410 parts $200 labor
Front brake pads and flush -parts plus $200 labor
4 wheel alignment - $90 labor
(I told him this one was bullsh1t because only the front wheels can be aligned and should only be 30 bucks..)

Spark plugs changed- $90 parts 70$ labor
(I said let em do that one because removing the intake manifold would be a biatch)

Fuel, tranny, air filters..
(Told him he can do them himself)

thermostat seal... (dont even know what that is)

Oil pressure switch...(dunno what that is either)

tranny flush and fill ( told him to do it himself again)

Hood struts - they wanted alot of money for this, Told him to do it himself it should be easy as hell.

The total for everything was about 1900 bucks and i thinkg alot of it can be done himself with my help. Is there anything else we should know about or look for on a 95 auto with 91k miles??? And what do you think about what they said needs to be done..
Thanks,
Adam
kyb struts- $260
spark plugs- DIY, you dont need to remove the intake manifold, very easy, and the plugs are nowhere near $90, probably less than 1/2 of that
hood struts- does the hood not stay open by itself? change it your self if it doesnt, easy
brake pads- buy them from the dealer, around $100 bucks and install yourself, very easy

maximadriver.com has some good writeups for many of the things listed above. good luck
Old 07-28-2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Jung918
If you are going to pay 410 for struts... might as well get the koni ajustable for acouple of dollars more... and brake pads really aren't that hard to replace... i got ceramic pads all around that i believe that cost me like 100 or so... I was looking at bosh +4 and they are only 6 dollars a piece... and install is fairly east too... I would just go and buy the haynes manual... Save yourself some money...
This is exactly what i told him, i told him aftermarket performance struts cost that much and a good shop could do it in hour and half to 2 hours. i also told him to get a haynes manual and we could do most of if not all the other stuff our selfs.

Adam