4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SC, alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi:

It's time to get our thinking caps on. I've been thinking on how to get a cheap alternative to SC a Maxima.

I've seen how some of my friends have adapted turbo chargers from other cars to their cars (e.g.. 80's 300xz turbo to a 90's 240sx) , and I was wondering if it was possible to adapt a SC from some other car to the Maxima.

I'm thinking this, because I have a SC left over from a 90's T-Bird, it boosted 11 PSI, so I think that would be plenty of power for the max.

The thing that I want to know is what other parts would I need to be able to adapt this SC to the Maxima?

Or if this SC isn't compatible with the Maxima, what other SC can I use for this?

Can some one explain to me in detail the way the SC works with the rest of the engine? I know that the SC sends more air into the engine, but how is it controlled? what other parts would I need? etc.

I will use my car as the guinea pig, because 3000 dlls+ for just a SC kit is way too much money, and I'm sure we can get this done with just a fraction of that price.

If we make this happen I will take notes and detailed pics and prices , so we can have an alternative from Stillen.

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2001, 03:15 PM
ybelm620

I love the idea that you want to upgrade youe car. I don't think that that T-bird SC will work. If you cant swing the SC from stillen try going to find like a 96TT turbos from the 300zx. Thats what i wanted to do then i said let me just get a turbo car. If you add a turbo or two most likely you will have to do engine work. The maxima engine can handle the SC from stillen, and not make any changes in the engine, but it wasn't designed for a turbo. You probably will have to change your pistons, camshafts, rods, etc. so it might be more expensive then the 4gs stillen is asking. Then you have to upgrade your fuel system, injectors, fuel rails, pump etc. Its not easy, the best thing to do is save some money, and be patient and get the SC if you want a big power gain. If you have any more questions just leave me a message, hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2001, 07:04 PM
sharrisct25

Be carefull with the twin turbo mod

I have meet a few ppl who did it cuase I went as far as finding and negotiating for the whole engine from a 93 TTZ but here is the kicker

You are right about needing alot of the parts I do not know all the details buy my speed shop looked into it and buying the 2300 engine with the turbos would have been about 500 cheaper. An additional cost is the intercooler cause the 4th gen has an aluminum block. Then the installtion for the engine and intercooler since they are very similar design that was not too bad.

The good part is you are talking mega power 300+ compared to the small 280 or so with the SC and that is with stock turbos not turned up.

Then I met this guy Mat from RI at the track in NH he had actually done it! Had been driving it about 3 months then turned the stock turbos up pushing major PSIs and had the WORLDS biggest intercooler mounted in front cuase he said that he new another guy who tried it with a small easy to install intercooler and he melted his block. Anyway Mat kicked but in that car that day I do not remeber the exact times but they were the best I had ever witness for a Max he claimed he was pushing 340 at the flywheel anyway Mat blew his engine in 2 more months and then did the converstion agian not turning up the turbos blew it again So I decided to skip that idea and go on with life as I knew it bought a house instead

lol.. sorry so long but should answer your question.

Old 07-29-2001, 07:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys!!

Hi:

Thanks ybelm620 and sharrisct25 for the input. I really don't think that turbos would be good in the Max, because of the high heat involved.

What I was really thinking about was installing a SC from another car into the Maxima. Like a VW Corrado SC, or a T-Bird SC, or any other car that has a SC.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-29-2001, 07:44 PM
sharrisct25

Re: Thanks guys!!

Hey I like the idea.. Good luck I would call Vortech first see what they have to say go from there Screw stillen they just resell it and get a cut anyway.

Let me know how it goes.