4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Heavy-Duty Half-Shafts...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 08:58 PM

As I add more and more modifications to my Maxima, I know I'm going to start torquing my half-shafts more and more. I seem to remember Don-in-Texas saying he was going to have a prototypical set installed on his car. Any more details on that? Who supplied them? How much? Specifications? Anyone know or heard? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bullseye
As I add more and more modifications to my Maxima, I know I'm going to start torquing my half-shafts more and more. I seem to remember Don-in-Texas saying he was going to have a prototypical set installed on his car. Any more details on that? Who supplied them? How much? Specifications? Anyone know or heard? Please advise. Thanks.
No one currently makes half shafts for the maxima, atleast in the USA. I whould not worry about breaking your half shafts because people have maximas with a lot more power then your car and the half shafts have held up just fine. BTW I was actually thinking about this earlier today, hmm.. Strange.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:27 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

yea you shouldnt have to worry about it at the moment. WHen you mount some slicks on with a good gripping clutch i would think about driveaxles at that time. Your tires break loose before you can break the axles.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
yea you shouldnt have to worry about it at the moment. WHen you mount some slicks on with a good gripping clutch i would think about driveaxles at that time. Your tires break loose before you can break the axles.
did you do your custom turbo setup yourself? think you might be able to fill me in to how you setup your turbo?
Old 08-01-2001, 08:25 PM

Thank you for your input.

Your point is well taken; however, I'm adding a NOS system, a set of Cattman engine mounts, and a JWT Stage II clutch very soon. I run with "scrubbed" BFG drag radials at this writing. (This baby ain't gonna slip...) I'll start with a 70-shot set-up with stock fuel delivery. Ongoing, enhanced aftermarket fuel delivery, gauges, related hardware, and careful experimentation and tuning will allow a series of incremental increases in NO2 output. In the relative near-future, I need to start looking for a source for beefier axles in earnest, don't ya think?

That's why I'm starting to think about beefier axles now, and built internals, too, for that matter. I suspected the beefier axles would tough to source, except for the comment from Don a few weeks ago about testing prototypical racing axles on his Maxima. Whose prototypes? Could it be Quaife?

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks as always.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:44 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

there are several places that do custom driveaxles. Driveshaftshop? My suggestion is to get a spare set send it to them and see what they can do. Please fill me in cause i will need these too. If you need info on built internals i can help you out cause i had all my internals custom made and alot of companies have applications for the VQ motor now. Do you have LSD, honestly, even on drag radials, your tires will STILL break loose before your axles break. Its the 4k launches on slicks that break stuff, but you might break stuff in the tranny first.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:42 PM

there are several places that do custom driveaxles. Driveshaftshop? My suggestion is to get a spare set send it to them and see what they can do. Please fill me in cause i will need these too. If you need info on built internals i can help you out cause i had all my internals custom made and alot of companies have applications for the VQ motor now. Do you have LSD, honestly, even on drag radials, your tires will STILL break loose before your axles break. Its the 4k launches on slicks that break stuff, but you might break stuff in the tranny first.
Can you say: Cattman/Quaife ATB Differential?

I certainly don't have one yet, but I hear Brian Catts anticipates delivery in Tucson later this year... I am holding my breath until then! "Bullseye, table for one!"

I got involved in test & tune night about a year or so ago on a sudden impulse. I remember the first time I lined up at the start: I couldn't believe how nervous I was. Talk about an adrenaline rush! Well, it's a blast, even if I get my @ss waxed by a much faster car. And I have learned a lot about the car. And those faster cars aren't beating me like they used to... They're not smirking anymore. :-)

I want to keep going faster and faster. I know I'm going to have to build up the engine sooner or later. With the next wave of mods, it may have to be sooner. Know what I mean?

I would appreciate any advice/wisdom you may care to share about fuel delivery, pistons/rods/retainers, cranks/cams, nitrous tuning, safety equipment, troubleshooting, and any other topics you deem important enough to mention.

I value your input. Thank you.