4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suggestions on Buying new clutch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 04:22 PM

I got a question I'm looking at buying a new clutch...I had a ACT street modified clutch that went out. I'm considering getting a 4-puck or a 6-puck ACT ceramic clutch does anybody have one of these or are you currently using one??? I need something that will last longer any suggestions...plus will be getting a supercharger or turbocharer soon so figure the 4 or 6 puck clutch would be useful.

Do you guys know of any good places to buy the clutch or do any of you have the Unorthodox Racing kevlar clutch...just trying to get some opinions and some ideas before I buy a new clutch. Please send me any sites that have discounted aftermarket clutches or flywheels.

Thanks,
John

P.S. Is it worth getting a aftermarket flywheel...does it actually help with the revving and free up horse power??? Because Unorthodox racing has a kevlar flywheel that ways 5lbs...and wondering if that is worth it!!!
Old 08-03-2001, 08:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

clutch

this is a touchy subject. if someones sugests a clutch and you buy it, and it's a bad choice, oh well. so for me , its been a learn from experience type of thing, i have sc and i have had good performance with jwt, one side metal, it has 13,000 miles on it now. when i get another i am going to try clutchnet clutchs, they have 2500 lb pressure plates. but this is your call. peace out. ps, do a search on this subject it has been discussed alot before.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:27 PM

go to

check out www.maximadriver.com and go to the mods section.. there is an EXCELLENT writeup on this, about using the 300zx clutch w/ ACT pressure plate... whatever, check it out.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:46 PM

I just got my Max so I can't help you with any clutch suggestions pertaining to the Max but as the flywheel, it will help. I had a prelude with, ironicly, a ACT Kevlar lined clutch and their lightened flywheel (stock was 30 lbs, theirs was 14lbs). The only problem I had with a lightened flywheel was problems launching from a standstill because the engine revved so much faster. It definitely helps during rolling starts. I had to lower my revs during launches to keep the tires from breaking loose so that really hurt my torqueless Honda. This may not be such a problem with the Max since you don't have to rev to 4000rpm and seriously slipping the clutch for a good launch. If I had to get a new clutch, I'd definitely put one on since they already have it open.

A thing to consider when deciding to get a Kevlar clutch is what you will be doing, drag racing or any long hard driving like autocrossing. If you mainly drag race, get the Kevlar clutch because it heats very quickly to grab but will over heat quickly if driven too long like a autocross.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stay away from Centerforce Clutches and ACT's 4 and puck setup. From what I have heard the 4 and 6 puck clutches really do a job on your tranny and they are really awful to use on a daily basis.

From my experiences with clutches I probabaly whould have to say nothing beats the good old nissan oem clutch, they last forever!. If you are going SC I whould go with ACT, but it seems you have had a bad experience with that all ready? I don't know what to say, maybe try a clutch master?