4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My car is constantly having an orgasm..lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 05:16 PM

Now that I've gotten your attention..everytime I release the brake pedal, my car moans like crazy. I know that this is a typical symptom but it does it every single time I release the brake. Last year, it would moan once or twice and then goes away for a very long time. I'm bringing in the car and I would like to know what to expect. I heard that it's the rotors and others say it's the CV joint. Can I get this problem fixed under warranty? I have 27,000 miles on my car and it's all stock; the brakes should not have faded that quickly? Anyone with an actual Nissan TSB about this problem, or warping brakes? I visited the government site with the TSB descriptions, but no details.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:03 PM

I had that problem occasionally. Dealer, as usual, brushed me off, and told it was the calipers releasing slowly. It didn't really bother me.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by whitemax99gle
Now that I've gotten your attention..everytime I release the brake pedal, my car moans like crazy. I know that this is a typical symptom but it does it every single time I release the brake. Last year, it would moan once or twice and then goes away for a very long time. I'm bringing in the car and I would like to know what to expect. I heard that it's the rotors and others say it's the CV joint. Can I get this problem fixed under warranty? I have 27,000 miles on my car and it's all stock; the brakes should not have faded that quickly? Anyone with an actual Nissan TSB about this problem, or warping brakes? I visited the government site with the TSB descriptions, but no details.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is the TSB for you problem, its for 1998 Max, but I'm pretty sure its the same problem for you 1999 Max. I had the same problem with my '98 Max GXE and took it to the dealer and they fixed it, this was about 6 months ago. You can find the full bulletin at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...servicemmy.cfm

Service Bulletin Number: NTB99031
Bulletin Sequence Number: 500
Date of Bulletin: 9905
NHTSA Item Number: SB604997
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1998
Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
Summary: EXHIBITING REAR BRAKE GROAN / HUMMING NOISE AFTER RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:28 PM

Opps, that link doesnt work. You can use this link and just follow the directions: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...ervicemmy1.cfm
Old 08-04-2001, 12:29 AM

Actually when I took my car to the dealer, I pointed out the TSB, and they said unless I have warped rotors or unevenly worn pads due to the groaning noise, they won't do anything about it.

In reality, a TSB is not a recall. It is merely a procedure whereby if they repair something using the new procedure, it will lessen the chance that the symptom will return. A TSB must be used by the dealer when working on that system, but a dealer has no obligation to the customer to fix something unless it is already broken. In other words, if the dealer is repairing something, the TSB will apply. But the TSB is not to be treated as a recall or warranty item, so you can't go to the dealer and demand a free repair because a TSB exists.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Actually when I took my car to the dealer, I pointed out the TSB, and they said unless I have warped rotors or unevenly worn pads due to the groaning noise, they won't do anything about it.

In reality, a TSB is not a recall. It is merely a procedure whereby if they repair something using the new procedure, it will lessen the chance that the symptom will return. A TSB must be used by the dealer when working on that system, but a dealer has no obligation to the customer to fix something unless it is already broken. In other words, if the dealer is repairing something, the TSB will apply. But the TSB is not to be treated as a recall or warranty item, so you can't go to the dealer and demand a free repair because a TSB exists.
Hmm, so when you took it to the dealer, they didnt even bother checking the rear brake mechanism? Cause when I took it to my dealer, they immediately told me that it was the rear brakes, like the e-brake cable would get pulled when you depress the brake pedal. And so the cable would not retract, and in return would make that humming noise, like a fog horn. So they fixed the whole thing. I was kinda surprised that they pointed out the problem, cause the dealer I went to, their repair department sucks big time.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by danny's_max

Hmm, so when you took it to the dealer, they didnt even bother checking the rear brake mechanism? Cause when I took it to my dealer, they immediately told me that it was the rear brakes, like the e-brake cable would get pulled when you depress the brake pedal. And so the cable would not retract, and in return would make that humming noise, like a fog horn. So they fixed the whole thing. I was kinda surprised that they pointed out the problem, cause the dealer I went to, their repair department sucks big time.
The dealer did keep my car for the rest of the day to check the brakes. They said everything was normal (no surprise) and that the groaning sound was the calipers releasing slowly. Hmm...snagging the parking brake cable, first time I heard of that one. Thanks for posting this info.

No, my dealer sucks big time for service. Do a search for "Davis Nissan" and you will know what I am talking about.
Old 08-05-2001, 07:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the reply. I am bringing in my car on Tuesday and to see if they can fix the problem. I don't know if they would charge me to inspect and fix it. I brought the car in a couple months before because my engine check light was on. The dealer turned it off and said that it was confused, and they didn't charge me. I'll keep you posted on what's happening.
Old 08-05-2001, 07:31 AM

I had something like that

happen to my '98 GEX when I would back out of the garage in the morning. it went away once I had the brakes and rotors replaced. One thing that did happen though was that the caliper on the inside wasn't releasing all the way. Apparently when I brought the car in and they lifted it on the jack, the rotor was glowing red from the heat created by the binding caliper.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:13 AM

Red hot

Originally posted by The_quorum
... the rotor was glowing red from the heat created by the binding caliper.
If the rotor was red hot there is a likelihood that the grease in the rear wheel bearing got "cooked". This will lead to an early bearing failure.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:12 PM

Now I've got another problem

Hmm... I hope that my problem won't be severe. Now I have another problem. A few minutes ago, my airbag light came on and now it is blinking. Hopefully I'll get all of the problems fixed on Tuesday. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I got my windshield replaced last week because of a small chip; all of the new problems started to happen a week later. Oh well.. must be an Omen.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:02 PM

Re: Now I've got another problem

Hmm... I hope that my problem won't be severe. Now I have another problem. A few minutes ago, my airbag light came on and now it is blinking. Hopefully I'll get all of the problems fixed on Tuesday. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I got my windshield replaced last week because of a small chip; all of the new problems started to happen a week later. Oh well.. must be an Omen.
This is the procedure for resetting the dashboard Air Bag warning light.
This information came from the '99 Maxima factory service manual. It's easy enough to try.

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button, a button which is
pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door
Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7
seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF.
Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

Possible causes for this warning light to go on include...
- a fault with the Air Bag.
- abnormally low voltage in the electrical system due to a weak battery.
- a maladjusted door striker plate such that the door does not close properly,
and the DDS is jiggled on and off constantly as you drive.

If the dashboard warning light remains on after you perform this reset procedure you may have to let the dealer handle the problem.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:24 PM

Thanks Daniel.. you are extremely helpful
Old 08-07-2001, 11:24 PM

ok, here's the update. I took my car to the dealership today and they were really helpful and polite. They told me the reason why I had the moaning noise was because of the emergency brake cable; it was wrapped around something. As a result, they replaced that and brake pads, just in case if there's wear and tear. For the airbag light, they said it was a computer malfunction and they had to order the parts to replace it. Plus, I don't have to pay a penny for both problems, since it's under warranty. Now there's no more noise and the dealership is going to give me a free carwash.. yay! I love my dealership.
Old 08-08-2001, 04:30 AM

... I don't have to pay a penny for both problems, since it's under warranty. ...
That's good news.

... I love my dealership.
We hear many complaints about bad dealers, and you have a good one. That dealer deserves some credit and maybe some additional business. If you have a good dealer please post the name and location!
Old 08-08-2001, 06:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'e had that problem

My car has had the sticking e-brake issue.

My rear right brake would always stick after releasing the e-brake. I could feel my car dragging while driving around. It got so bad that sometimes I could touch that wheel and it would be very warm. I finally took it to my mechanic and he basically took apart the brake and put it back together again. He said something about the e-brake cable being stuck and other stuff.

The other problem I've had was the check engine light. It came on because of emissions. The vent control valve was stuck. I took it to the Nissan Dealer and they charged me $380 to fix it. I later found out that ALL cars have a federal warranty (not Nissan or other) that covers all emissions for 3 years/50K miles, whichever came first. My car had 48K miles at the time. I sent the receipt to Nissan corporate and they fully refunded me.

These are the only 2 "major" issues I've had with my car. Man, I love this car!!

DW