4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CAI vs. POP Charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 03:25 PM

I have a cone filter K&N that bolts on pretty much just like a POP Charger, but I am debating whether or not the CAI is worth it on the Group Buy.

I am installing my NOS kit Tues, and wouldn't mind the CAI, but I wanna be sure I would reap the benefits well. Besides I kinda like the growl from the K&N.

What would you do?
Old 08-04-2001, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Maximus98
I have a cone filter K&N that bolts on pretty much just like a POP Charger, but I am debating whether or not the CAI is worth it on the Group Buy.

I am installing my NOS kit Tues, and wouldn't mind the CAI, but I wanna be sure I would reap the benefits well. Besides I kinda like the growl from the K&N.

What would you do?
This topic has been discussed a ton with no conclusion. Personally I dont really like the CAI, My buddy has the Placeracing CAI and every time there is a hard rain his car locks up and wont run for a while. I dont think this is common with all the CAI's but his has done it atleast 3 times. I have the Dragon Intake from Weapon-R and I really like it. It sounds great and the performance gain was noticible because it was the first mod that I had done. I had it with my ZEX system with no problems at all. Take Care
Old 08-04-2001, 05:32 PM

Yeah I figured it had been discussed all with no conclusion.

I am just gunna stick with that filter, and maybe look into the Weapon R one. I have seen it once before, I just forgot what it looked like. I guess I will deal with it some other time.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:40 PM

uh oh..
I ordered Place Racing..
Maybe your friend didn't install it correctly?
I really hope my intake doesn't cause those problems..
byt he way, I am getting it on the group deal that Greg setup.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Sexima
uh oh..
I ordered Place Racing..
Maybe your friend didn't install it correctly?
I really hope my intake doesn't cause those problems..
byt he way, I am getting it on the group deal that Greg setup.
I definitely do not recommend the CAI style of any kind unless perhaps you get that device that keeps water out (still skeptical). I had one on my prelude and it sucked up water. Luckily, I put the car in neutral and was idling when it pulled in water. The engine just shut off. I got the water out by removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine and boy did it look like a fountain. I had no problems and car ran the same. But, I knew this guy with a civic that totally broke his rods and bent his crankshaft when it pulled up water. This is what typically happens because water does not compress like air.

Do what I did, I put a scoop behind my front grill to direct air to the stock scoop. It does help but I still need to make a heat shield for the cone filter to keep the engine heat away.

Just my .02
Old 08-04-2001, 10:46 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by speedy-t

I definitely do not recommend the CAI style of any kind unless perhaps you get that device that keeps water out (still skeptical). I had one on my prelude and it sucked up water. Luckily, I put the car in neutral and was idling when it pulled in water. The engine just shut off. I got the water out by removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine and boy did it look like a fountain. I had no problems and car ran the same. But, I knew this guy with a civic that totally broke his rods and bent his crankshaft when it pulled up water. This is what typically happens because water does not compress like air.

Do what I did, I put a scoop behind my front grill to direct air to the stock scoop. It does help but I still need to make a heat shield for the cone filter to keep the engine heat away.

Just my .02
I did hear that hondas have problems with CAI, but maxima should b ok with it. So many people have no one is
b!tching.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:48 PM

Where did you go to suck them waters?
Old 08-04-2001, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

I did hear that hondas have problems with CAI, but maxima should b ok with it. So many people have no one is
b!tching.
I am so glad to hear ya!
Old 08-04-2001, 11:28 PM

I pulled up into my parking lot and there was a river waiting for me. My prelude was lowered but only by 1.5 inches. I know you guys in Cali don't get really bad rain storms but I live in Texas and we do get some killer short storms that flood the streets fast. BTW, it was not the same storm that hit Houston two months ago.

Hey, it's just something to consider. I can't describe to you the feeling I had when I thought I screwed up my engine. Thank God it was okay.

Trust me, if this happened to you, you would agree with me.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:54 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

b!tching.
yup i agree, u shouldn't have a prob with it
Old 08-05-2001, 08:26 AM

Anyone have a Weapon R Dragon intake?

I raced an Acura Legend last night that had one. Looked pretty cool.